GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any idea how this will work and how fast it'll be to accomplish at a dealer?

****************BELOW ADDED BY WOPONTOUR*****************
OK
I have been monitoring this thread for a while now waiting until it was clear to me as to how to best handle the requests for Android Auto updates at the dealer, and to detail any "issues" that have arisen. GM's intention was to handle these updates in a gradually staggered fashion using an upgrade "coupon" that was/is to be mailed to all registered owners of 2016/17 product (not just Volt owners) awaiting this update. That plan appears to have back-fired as once the Android Auto Upgrade press release hit the web on March 2, it created an immediate stream people were running to their dealers and often found them, well, let's be nice... ill-prepared? lol

So to assist in helping to make this process a bit smoother for those of you that have yet to receive the AA update, I am placing a PDF copy of bulletin #16-NA-042 which was released a few weeks back and includes a few very important tips necessary to insure the Android Auto update is painless. Keep in mind this bulletin is for the DEALER but it would be a good idea to read through it in order to better understand the upgrade process.

Some tips are as follows:

1. Essentially the technician will have to follow the steps within the bulletin under the heading "Customer Vehicle Upgrade" TO THE LETTER.

2. Basically all that is required is a software/firmware update be performed to the Human Machine Interface (HMI) following the instructions TO THE LETTER

3. One of the things that have been learned along the way are that most dealers have only a 4Gb FAT32 formatted jump/thumb drive for updating audio systems as that is all they have needed up to this point, (and were told to buy a 4Gb drive back in 2013 when Mylink/Intellilink came out) However the Android Auto update is larger than any files they have downloaded to date and needs a larger drive. This has created more than a few issues out there where the dealer couldn't properly download the files off the GM TIS2WEB>SPS system as their drive memory was too small and larger drives might not have been "on-hand"

THEY MUST HAVE A FRESHLY FORMATTED 8Gb JUMP/THUMB DRIVE FORMATTED TO FAT32 (NOT NTFS) ONHAND IN ORDER TO PERFORM THE AA UPDATE.

4. Because the files are so large it will take 30-40 minute to download the files to the drive and another 30-40 minutes to upload them to the car (again following the instructions to the letter) However once the files have been downloaded from the GM servers they will remain "cached" on the local machine. So the time it takes to complete the upgrades will actually go down once a full range of vehicles have been updated once.

But since the Volt must be in "service mode" during the file transfer/upload and that power mode DOES NOT initiate the 14 Volt power module (aka APM or DC-DC Converter) they must connect the Midtronics battery maintainer (aka EL-49642 SPS Programming Support Tool) to the 12V battery (or underhood jump connection) and it must remain for the entire process. This tool has low "ripple" and quickly responds to load changes that may occur while the programming is taking place thus it prevents programming blow-outs due to a low 12V battery or transient voltage spikes. If this voltage issue occurs during the update it can brick the HMI and result in having to replace it. Ouch!

Attached below is a photo of how the center stack screen will look once "locked up" when the HMI gets accidentally bricked by NOT following this bulletin process TO THE LETTER (PS> Thanks to Geohec for the photo of his HMI trainwreck- WOT)

5. One thing I have noticed in the bulletin as while it is pretty good as a "step-by-step" guide it assumes a few things that sure could have been included as "steps" just to make sure it works seamlessly. For instance, in order to connect your car to the GM TIS2WEB>SPS system they must connect the Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) to the car in order to poll the VIN and be able to access the "Reprogram Module" sequence in SPS. The bulletin instructions fail to mention that step. While most techs will know this (duh!) some less experienced attempting to follow the bulletin TO THE LETTER might get confused for a bit. At worst this just means it will take them a bit longer to get it figured out. Not a big deal, they are used to rapid change. ;)

6. The software is customized to your VIN and the audio options your car is equipped with. SO the dealer MUST NOT use a USB memory drive with the files used to program some other car. Doing so might create issues or partial functionality. The only way to properly do this is to download the specific files for the specific vehicle (VIN) each and every time. I realize this isn’t something any owner will probably have any control over but might provide a solution of you have a system that does not operate correctly after the update. If the process is repeated, properly, only the necessary files different from what was initially installed will be downloaded then uploaded to the car. I hope this doesn't become a wide-spread issue.

6. It is important that the USB ports in the car be operational to do the update. There have been some reports of Gen2 USB port issues on a few cars. Everything from "unplugged" from factory or even failed. So it would be a good idea if owners checked that their phone will both charge AND play streamed music through the regular Mylink system prior to taking it in for the AA update.

7. The diagram and red-texted note between Steps 8 and 9 of the bulletin is critical. As the upload to the car gets close to complete at approximately 90%, the screen “blanks out” for a period. Some technicians may panic at that point and possibly try removing>reinstalling the USB drive in an attempt to get the process to restart, or cycling the POWER switch. That could be a bad move. In fact, there have been cases of having to REPLACE the HMI if they cannot get the upload to either finish the upload or start over. (they should be calling GM Techline for more assistance at that point)

The trick is to wait it out until the screen reappears and the FINISHED message (as shown in the bulletin) is displayed and they are instructed (by STEP 9) to follow the instructions on the car's touchscreen to complete the process. Eventually the system will be reset, however afterwards the displayed center stack screens MAY look strange or incorrect for the given division or model. This is normal UNTIL the next step is completed.

8. AFTER the USB upload process is complete, the HMI will next need to “programmed” to match the YMM of the vehicle. If they fail to do this for some reason your screens may look like they're from some other car (Cadillac Cue, Buick/GMC Intellilink etc.).
The technician should reconnect the MDI tool to the DLC, re-establish connections between the car and TIS2WEB on the PC and get SPS rolling again to continue performing:
STEP 11 “K74 Human Machine Interface Control Module – Programming” and then follow the terminal on-screen instructions to complete the procedure.

9. STEP 13 of the bulletin is important. There are certain “house-keeping tasks after this programming sequence is complete, that occur during this 5-minute OFF power mode. Once the car is switched OFF it is important that the driver’s door be “cycled” open-closed in order to CANCEL Retained Accessory Power (RAP) mode (you know, the mode where your radio plays until you open the door) and the remote FOB/keys be removed from the vehicle (out of range) during this 5-minute time out.

Afterwards the technician should power up the car pair a test phone (deleting the pairing afterwards) and check/confirm BASIC functionality. (phone pairs, will stream music, and can dial out that’s about it)

NOTE: THEY MAY NOT HAVE AN ANDROID PHONE AVAILABLE WITH LOLI-POP 5.0 OS OR NEWER AND WITH ANDROID AUTO INSTALLED TO COMPLETELY TEST THE AA SYSTEM
So it is very likely your own phone will end up being the first valid test for the new AA system. So my advice would be to be prepared to spend some time confirming operation before you leave the dealer. That way if there’s issues you’re not going to be unduly inconvenienced and they might be able to address your issues immediately.

10. If you HAVE issues make sure it’s not YOUR equipment causing issues first. Make sure you have Android Audio downloaded and installed, and are using a factory quality USB cable (I recommend the one that came with your phone only) and that you are not running any “custom” ROMs or OS that might interfere with Android Audio. The factory issued ROM image is the only one guaranteed to work properly.

Turn the car ON, make sure your phone is paired, Launch Android Audio on your phone, connect the USB cable and the “Projection” icon on your touch screen should switch to display ANDROID AUTO . In the case this doesn’t happen, press “Android Auto” or "Projector" on the home page to launch.
(you may notice that if you had created a customized organization of the icon/apps on your HOME page that they will be reset back to factory defaults- sorry) Some have reported that you may need to access the “gear” symbol within the AA app on your phone to authorize/verify your cars security connection. This may depend on the OS of the phone (e.g. Android 6.0 Marshmallow)

But if everything went well- You should be good to go!

For more assistance on using Android Auto check out these resources:
https://support.google.com/androidauto

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-auto

http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-auto/

As promised here is a PDF copy of the all-important bulletin. You may want to print it out and take it into the dealer with you (or at least the bulletin number)
HTH
WopOnTour

PS> I’m going to append this post to post #1 of this thread to make it easier for new folks to find. In the meantime, I will try to keep this updated in case the bulletin revises and adds any new information. If I missed anything or if you have any questions feel free post them here or PM me

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I bought my Volt back in December I chatted with their tech geek and he said it's basically loaded onto a USB drive, plugged in and basically POOF! It's there.

Whether or not that proves true remains to be seen. He also said that it can sit side by side with Apple Car Play, but I don't think they can be run at the same time; you have to choose a Projection.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
968 Posts
I was told a few months ago that it would be a firmware update that would be done at the dealership and would be available in March. It seems rcruz appears to have more specific info, but I would guess it would be 30 minutes at the dealership for them to log you in and than some time to get it to the volt tech but could be longer if the guy who does this is busy working on another volt/spark.

I personally can't wait for this to become available. If they said it was available, then i'd take a long lunch to get er' done. I hope its a big improvement to mylink. If you find something out then let us know.

P.s. watch Tsquare thread on his 2017 Volt Delivered. He's the first one on this forum to get a 2017 but he hasn't verified AA becuase his phone was not compatible so a couple of us asked him to check with someone else's phone. If the 2017 come shipped with AA then that is great news for us becuase that means that AA updates arent far behind (if not already available).:)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
P.s. watch Tsquare thread on his 2017 Volt Delivered. He's the first one on this forum to get a 2017 but he hasn't verified AA becuase his phone was not compatible so a couple of us asked him to check with someone else's phone. If the 2017 come shipped with AA then that is great news for us becuase that means that AA updates arent far behind (if not already available).:)
I don't know how you use Android Auto in practice, but I'm wondering if there's something in the menu system you'd need to select. If so, he could probably tell you if the menu item was present even if his phone wasn't compatible and that would indicate that the car does indeed have it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
According to my service rep, so I'm scheduling for later in the week.

According to GM it looks as if we should have that new program available. We can program with new programing at next visit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't see anything about Canada here. I just called my dealer and they have nothing new to report.
I sent my service rep the link shown above. He got back in 10 minutes and confirmed it was available.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Called my dealership's service department. They hadn't heard of it. Sent an email to the salesman who sold me the car to see if he could get it moving.

Best,
Rick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Called my local dealer in BC. They said it's US only for now, and when it's available in Canada, we should get a letter by snail mail on how to get it updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the link! I called my dealership yesterday 2/29/16 and they blew me off. I called today and got an appointment. Just frustrated I have to still wait a full week to get it.

I have been really looking forward to this update! Yah, Imma Geek!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Let's make this an official race and see who gets it first!! :)
I just emailed my dealer with the link. we'll see what they say.
Dealer-response notwithstanding, I think it's quite remarkable that GM announced the availability literally on March 1st, after having promised a March rollout. I had automatically assumed late-late march.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody in San Diego get the Android Auto update?

Called my dealer, Bob Stall, in La Mesa yesterday. They didn't have the update. Nothing on when they will get it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Volt and AA Not Working

I have a 2017 Volt and a Nexus 6P and Android Auto is not connecting or accessible from Projector. I am new Android Auto, so I may be doing something wrong, but have the app on the phone, connect by USB, but nothing happens. Looking for help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt and a Nexus 6P and Android Auto is not connecting or accessible from Projector. I am new Android Auto, so I may be doing something wrong, but have the app on the phone, connect by USB, but nothing happens. Looking for help.
Has Android Auto been verified on the 2017 models that it comes installed with it?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Has Android Auto been verified on the 2017 models that it comes installed with it?
Unfortunately, one forum member Tsquare stated yesterday that his did not come shipped with AA.

However, now that the update is or will be available soon, then i would assume the dealers will update it and include it as a part of the PDI or prep before delivering to customers.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Called my dealer, Bob Stall, in La Mesa yesterday. They didn't have the update. Nothing on when they will get it.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but do any dealers actually "get" some sort of physical object? My expectation would be that it's software that they'd simply download via GM's dealer network. So it should be available to everyone as soon as it's posted on GM's servers, shouldn't it?

1 - 20 of 370 Posts