GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Volt. My Samsung S7 just updated the OS to “Oreo”. Ever since, I have been unable to use the nav apps through Android Auto. It lets me set up the trip, but after I start driving, a dialog bubble pops up on the map stating “Lost GPS” or “Searching for GPS” and it stops giving directions. I’ve had both Verizon and the Chevy dealer troubleshoot this without success. Has anybody else seen this problem? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt and a Verizon S7 on Oreo also. I just returned home from a 1400 mile round trip and my phone using WAZE instead of Android Auto worked perfectly.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Do you get the same GPS issues when your phone isn't connected to Android Auto? The car doesn't provide the GPS receiver in this case, the phone does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you get the same GPS issues when your phone isn't connected to Android Auto? The car doesn't provide the GPS receiver in this case, the phone does.
And because of this, where you put your phone while driving is important. If it's GPS receiver is blocked from reaching the satellites, it could cause this problem. Try putting it in the "wireless charging cradle" even if you don't have wireless charging -- that should be a reasonable place for it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
And because of this, where you put your phone while driving is important. If it's GPS receiver is blocked from reaching the satellites, it could cause this problem. Try putting it in the "wireless charging cradle" even if you don't have wireless charging -- that should be a reasonable place for it.
Since upgrading to Oreo, I've had this issue come up more often. Pulling the phone out of the front cubbie usually solves the issue. Perhaps the new OS requires a higher level of confidence in the satellite signal now?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a way to project Waze onto the infotainment screen without using Android Auto? If so, I'd like to learn how.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The phone works fine now with Google Maps and Waze when unconnected to the car. It worked fine when connected before the OS upgrade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always put it in the cellphone slot on the console. It works fine now if I don't connect it to the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there a way to project Waze onto the infotainment screen without using Android Auto? If so, I'd like to learn how.
That's the whole point of Android Auto. Running android apps on your phone that display on the car screen and use the car's audio system. Waze is Android Auto compatible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was having trouble with GPS and voice commands with my S7, Android Auto (AA) and my 2017 Volt. Although this may be purely superstitious behavior, here's what seemed to fix things for me.

I uninstalled the Google app. Its just called Google in the Application Manager.

I connected my phone to the car normally, with Bluetooth and USB cable, and launched AA.

AA informed me that Google was a required app and would be installed. I let that happen.

AA walked me through the app options and I accepted the defaults.

I think I restarted my phone later, don"t recall for sure.

AA and all of my AA apps are working as they should now, including Google Maps and GPS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Guys. I had this same problem and UtahK's process didn't work for me. However, I was able to "fix" the problem by taking my phone off of battery saver mode. Hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys. I had this same problem and UtahK's process didn't work for me. However, I was able to "fix" the problem by taking my phone off of battery saver mode. Hope this helps
I'm on vacation now and away from my Volt. I will try it once I return.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yep, when I've had this problem with my S7 Edge and my wife's AA in the Acadia, it's because the phone is in battery saver mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, turning off the battery saver mode worked! It was not even on my radar as one of the relevant parameters. As I mentioned before, the phone GPS works fine when it is not connected to the car. It only gets "lost" when I connect it through Android Auto. Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wish the GM techs were reading this forum, they might have better solutions to give for the problems that get reported to them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts