GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are having problems getting AA to work, a heavy duty USB cable is a must. I learned this the hard way, but now having trouble keeping the thing plugged into the phone's mini jack. IMHO Chevy should underwrite development of a simpler phone-like device without cameras, display, on/off and volume switches, etc. that plugs directly into the Volt's USB port like the Roku Streaming Stick.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
For those who are having problems getting AA to work, a heavy duty USB cable is a must. I learned this the hard way, but now having trouble keeping the thing plugged into the phone's mini jack. IMHO Chevy should underwrite development of a simpler phone-like device without cameras, display, on/off and volume switches, etc. that plugs directly into the Volt's USB port like the Roku Streaming Stick.
Can't you just plug in a USB flash drive with your songs loaded onto it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I love the music thumb drive feature. For AA to function it'll need the Android Lollipop OS or later, maybe Bluetooth and some other stuff - I don't pretend to be an engineer...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Android Auto is far more than just a way to play music files located on your phone. Approved Android Auto apps (on a recent vintage Android SmartPhone) display directly on your Volt/Bolt center screen. Navigation is one of the main apps - you have a variant of Google maps and navigation appearing on your center screen. In fact, for the Bolt, that appears to be the only way you will be able to do navigation.

Now, the original post raises an issue that I have been concerned about, particularly with navigation on the Bolt. When you have to patch together all this crap from a bunch of sources, and it does not work, or works poorly, who is at fault? Who will fix it?

Is the problem with the cable, the phone manufacturer, the Android OS, the Android Auto App, your phone service provider, out-of-cell-tower-range issues, or something else?

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend looking at this guide for general tips (It's for a Hyundai but most of the general principals apply).

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyundaicontent/Data/teamsite/doc/downloads/AndroidAutoTroubleshootingGuideforCWP.pdf

The biggest tip is to use the cable the phone came with, as that one is usually of higher quality.

Another option that I like is the Anker PowerLine cables, as they are usually built for abuse and have thicker gauge wires (especially for power).
Neither the Chevy dealer's cable nor the one that came with the phone worked, which is why I initially panicked. This was the ONLY problem I had with AA and now it works beautifully. The cable that came with the phone works fine for charging.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes' That's how I do it. I've got several USB flash drives I use. It works just fine. (2013 Volt here) and I can still connect my phone via blue tooth to have hands free phone function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes' That's how I do it. I've got several USB flash drives I use. It works just fine. (2013 Volt here) and I can still connect my phone via blue tooth to have hands free phone function.
I agree, the flash drives are great for music, photos and videos, but your car does not have Android Auto which supplies navigation and other functions for 2016 and newer Volts. I sorely missed the Nav on my '15 volt, but now I have it back on my '16. Yay!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not aware of any "heavy duty" USB cable. There are cheap charging-only cables, and then there are good charging+data cables. Good phones usually come bundled with a good USB cable as well. If not, I recommend you get a good one from Amazon. This is version 1 of AA, so it will take some time to mature and stabilize. AA is not just about streaming music. It allows select apps from the phone to be displayed on the car's screen, and allows some level of interaction from the cars touch screen as well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Android Auto is far more than just a way to play music files located on your phone. Approved Android Auto apps (on a recent vintage Android SmartPhone) display directly on your Volt/Bolt center screen. Navigation is one of the main apps - you have a variant of Google maps and navigation appearing on your center screen. In fact, for the Bolt, that appears to be the only way you will be able to do navigation.
Well, duh, of course - but the post I was responding to was suggesting that a desirable alternative to AA was to plug a Roku Streaming Stick into the USB port, which implies he wasn't interested in much of the phone capabilities.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, duh, of course - but the post I was responding to was suggesting that a desirable alternative to AA was to plug a Roku Streaming Stick into the USB port, which implies he wasn't interested in much of the phone capabilities.
I don't know how you could connect a Roku Streaming Stick to the Volt, there aren't any HDMI ports available. The USB cable it has is just for power.

Compatible with most TVs
Easily connects to HDTVs with an HDMI input. The compact stick ideally complements your flat-screen TV sleek design.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't know how you could connect a Roku Streaming Stick to the Volt, there aren't any HDMI ports available. The USB cable it has is just for power.
You need to go back and read the original posts. He was saying he wished he could connect a Roku Streaming Stick. Given that he saw that as an AA alternative, I asked him why he couldn't just plug in a USB flash drive.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You need to go back and read the original posts. He was saying he wished he could connect a Roku Streaming Stick. Given that he saw that as an AA alternative, I asked him why he couldn't just plug in a USB flash drive.
You're both slightly missing the point. He wants an android device you can plug in directly (like a Roku stick does). A flash drive is not an android device.

OP, they do make android-on-a-stick devices. I doubt many include a LTE radio, but I could be wrong. I'm sure all have wifi, so perhaps you could use the car's hotspot for nav (assuming the stick has gps, which some probably do). Google around, I bet some people have tried this with android auto...

Edit: looks like most only output video on HDMI, but there are a ton out there, there may be some that can do some stuff over USB. Might be easier to just buy an old phone and leave it plugged into the car so you're not swapping cables all the time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're both slightly missing the point. He wants an android device you can plug in directly (like a Roku stick does). A flash drive is not an android device.

OP, they do make android-on-a-stick devices. I doubt many include a LTE radio, but I could be wrong. I'm sure all have wifi, so perhaps you could use the car's hotspot for nav (assuming the stick has gps, which some probably do). Google around, I bet some people have tried this with android auto...

Edit: looks like most only output video on HDMI, but there are a ton out there, there may be some that can do some stuff over USB. Might be easier to just buy an old phone and leave it plugged into the car so you're not swapping cables all the time.
If that's the case, I am not aware of any devices like that. The best bet would be buying a cheap android phone, that runs as vanilla/stock OS as possible. I would suggest either an older Nexus 5 or for a cheaper device, Moto G (3rd gen)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, everyone - My original post complains about the awkwardness of having to supply a modern Android phone with Lollipop OS and high-grade USB cable (NOT HDMI) to make AA work. You would not want to leave the phone permanently hooked up that way. I'm simply wishing that LG or Samsung would develop a cheap AA box - a Lollipop phone stripped of everything not needed for its singular purpose. It could "look like" a Roku streaming stick, but with a USB plug which could stay permanently connected to one of the two USB ports. Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ok, everyone - My original post complains about the awkwardness of having to supply a modern Android phone with Lollipop OS and high-grade USB cable (NOT HDMI) to make AA work. You would not want to leave the phone permanently hooked up that way. I'm simply wishing that LG or Samsung would develop a cheap AA box - a Lollipop phone stripped of everything not needed for its singular purpose.
I guess my confusion stems from not understanding what you mean by "singular purpose". Is the singular purpose to play music? If so, then why not a USB drive? Is it to receive phone calls (i.e., to be a phone)? If so, then why not just use the bluetooth connectivity of your phone. Is it to use navigation? You can get that built into the car.

So I'm still a bit unclear on exactly what this "AA box" would be supposed to do for you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok, everyone - My original post complains about the awkwardness of having to supply a modern Android phone with Lollipop OS and high-grade USB cable (NOT HDMI) to make AA work. You would not want to leave the phone permanently hooked up that way. I'm simply wishing that LG or Samsung would develop a cheap AA box - a Lollipop phone stripped of everything not needed for its singular purpose. It could "look like" a Roku streaming stick, but with a USB plug which could stay permanently connected to one of the two USB ports. Sorry for any confusion.
Ahh that makes more sense. I doubt such a device will ever be made, as the cost would be high for such a niche device. My recommendation of a cheap Nexus 5 or Moto G (3rd Gen) would be your best bet for that. Even if you had a stick like android device (which do exist), you would still need GPS and internet for it to work with android auto. Last time I looked at those devices, they have neither.

Even iOS requires a more modern phone (iPhone 5 or newer), so it's not just Android Auto's awkward requirements.

Cheapest (recommended) way to get Android Auto / Apple Carplay for the Volt
Moto G 3rd Gen (unlocked) - currently $176.99 on Amazon
iPhone 5 (certified used) - currently $179.00 on Gazelle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahh that makes more sense. I doubt such a device will ever be made, as the cost would be high for such a niche device. My recommendation of a cheap Nexus 5 or Moto G (3rd Gen) would be your best bet for that. Even if you had a stick like android device (which do exist), you would still need GPS and internet for it to work with android auto. Last time I looked at those devices, they have neither.

Even iOS requires a more modern phone (iPhone 5 or newer), so it's not just Android Auto's awkward requirements.

Cheapest (recommended) way to get Android Auto / Apple Carplay for the Volt
Moto G 3rd Gen (unlocked) - currently $176.99 on Amazon
iPhone 5 (certified used) - currently $179.00 on Gazelle
Yeah, you're probably right about the reluctance to build the box...
I bought a Tracfone LG L33L ($100) but I don't know if minutes get used during nav or google play.
Thanks for your input.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts