GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped off my 2014 Volt today and picked up my new 2017 Volt (woo hoo!), so I am a brand spanking newbie when it comes to Android Auto. I have three questions about Android Auto turn-by-turn navigation that I can't find answered in the Android Auto help site:

1. Will Android Auto turn-by-turn navigation work if I don't have a data plan on my phone or wifi access in the car?

2. Can I get it to simultaneously display the navigation on the Volt's screen and give me voice navigation?

3. Are third-party offline navigation apps (such as Navmii) compatible with Android Auto?

Many thanks.

JEP

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just dropped off my 2014 Volt today and picked up my new 2017 Volt (woo hoo!), so I am a brand spanking newbie when it comes to Android Auto. I have three questions about Android Auto turn-by-turn navigation that I can't find answered in the Android Auto help site:

1. Will Android Auto turn-by-turn navigation work if I don't have a data plan on my phone or wifi access in the car?

2. Can I get it to simultaneously display the navigation on the Volt's screen and give me voice navigation?

3. Are third-party offline navigation apps (such as Navmii) compatible with Android Auto?

Many thanks.

JEP
Turn by turn will work without data connection as long as your phone has cached the map data for anywhere you plan on going. I try to keep map data for larger areas downloaded on my just in case.

You won't get any traffic or other real time information without data.

With Android Auto everything comes over your car display, including voice prompts. The phone pretty much can't be used directly while running Android Auto connection. Attempting to use the phone directly all you can get to are your notification shade, everything else is blacked out.

I'm not personally aware of other Android Auto navigation apps at this time, but it would be ready to search the play store for them. Installing Android Auto on the phone gets you links to Android Auto compatible apps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, DA/Volt. Too bad it limits me to Google Maps, since one can only download modest sections of a map. But I suppose I can live with that. However, the rest of the info you provided is all good news, as far as my own minimal needs are concerned.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

·
4,851 Posts
Thanks, DA/Volt. Too bad it limits me to Google Maps, since one can only download modest sections of a map. But I suppose I can live with that. However, the rest of the info you provided is all good news, as far as my own minimal needs are concerned.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
A Google search for "cache google maps directions android" turned this up as the first result:

Download an area to use offline
1. On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
2. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and signed in to Google Maps.
3. Search for a place, like San Francisco .
4. At the bottom, tap the name or address of the place. ...
5. Select Download .
Does that not work any longer?

·
Registered
118 Posts
That's the way it works by default.

AFAIK, not yet. I've heard that Waze (which is an online app, not offline) was adding Android Auto support, but it's not showing up as an option for me. A check in Android Auto's compatible apps section shows no navigation apps other than Google Maps, at least on my phone as of a couple of minutes ago.

AFAIK, there's no technical reason why such support could not be added to any offline navigation app. It's conceivable that there may be policy/business reasons for Google or the app developer to avoid doing this, though. You may want to contact the developer(s) of your preferred offline navigation app(s) to request this support. If they say Google is making it hard to do, contact Google, too.

Beyond that, the cacheing workaround that others have mentioned seems to be your best option at the moment -- unless of course you choose to use your phone to display the map and just route the audio through the car's speakers via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Turn by turn will work without data connection as long as your phone has cached the map data for anywhere you plan on going. I try to keep map data for larger areas downloaded on my just in case.

You won't get any traffic or other real time information without data.
For clarity, this doesn't mean you have to have an OnStar data plan. Your phone's own data plan is good enough to make turn by turn work in place that you have sufficient signal.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
AFAIK, there's no technical reason why such support could not be added to any offline navigation app. It's conceivable that there may be policy/business reasons for Google or the app developer to avoid doing this, though. You may want to contact the developer(s) of your preferred offline navigation app(s) to request this support. If they say Google is making it hard to do, contact Google, too.
Yeah, I keep wondering how hard Garmin's working on making Android Auto emulation for their stand-alone devices. It might keep them relevant and involved since they can provide an entire continent of road data, updated quarterly forever, for about the price that most auto manufacturers charge for a SINGLE map update, for the hassle of plugging a little box into your computer four times a year, with no live data connection needed and thus no mothership "tracking" where you go.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Android Auto requires Internet access for navigation and voice recognition. Regular Google Maps works on your phone without Internet access but Android Auto Maps doesn't, it will just hang on a screen saying "Routing". You will need either a data plan on your phone or the Onstar data plan (you should have gotten 3 months of free Onstar data, after that 1G is $10 a month).

Voice recognition works from any AA screen but not from the non-AA screens, voice navigation works for all screens including the non-AA screens. Unfortunately the non-AA functions aren't integrated with AA. Google's Voice recognition is terrific, GMs built in voice recognition is practically worthless so it would have been nice if AA could control everything. One other small deficiency in Chevy's implementation, the Call button on the sterring wheel doesn't work with AA, although the end call button does. To give a voice command to AA you have to touch the microphone button on the screen, there is no OK Google in AA.

Google Maps is the only navigation app that works on Android Auto, they promised to make Waze AA compatible but it hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Original poster here. Now I'm confused. Bjrosen says Android Auto Maps does not work without a data plan or wifi, which seems to contradict what others have said. I do not have a data plan on my phone; my phone's internet functions only work on wifi. And, once my OnStar trial period ends, I won't have wifi in the car.

If I can't use third-party offline navigation apps on Android Auto, and if I need a data plan or wifi for AA Maps to work, it now sounds like I will not be able to use AA for navigation. Since navigation is the only thing I want AA for, it seems it's of no use to me. Not a huge deal, since I can always use an offline navigation app on my phone instead -- but I was hoping to have the navigation piped into my Volt screen instead of having to get a cradle for my phone.

I'd simply test this for myself, but my OnStar trial period doesn't end until May 2017, so the car will have wifi until then. Actually, now that I think about it, I should be able to just turn off wifi on my phone and see what happens. Would that enable me to test it, or would AA still pick up the OnStar wifi somehow?

Man, who knew cars would get so complicated? Why can't I just turn the crankshaft, jump in the car, and take off?

Thanks again, everyone.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Original poster here. Now I'm confused. Bjrosen says Android Auto Maps does not work without a data plan or wifi, which seems to contradict what others have said. I do not have a data plan on my phone; my phone's internet functions only work on wifi. And, once my OnStar trial period ends, I won't have wifi in the car.

If I can't use third-party offline navigation apps on Android Auto, and if I need a data plan or wifi for AA Maps to work, it now sounds like I will not be able to use AA for navigation. Since navigation is the only thing I want AA for, it seems it's of no use to me. Not a huge deal, since I can always use an offline navigation app on my phone instead -- but I was hoping to have the navigation piped into my Volt screen instead of having to get a cradle for my phone.

I'd simply test this for myself, but my OnStar trial period doesn't end until May 2017, so the car will have wifi until then. Actually, now that I think about it, I should be able to just turn off wifi on my phone and see what happens. Would that enable me to test it, or would AA still pick up the OnStar wifi somehow?

Man, who knew cars would get so complicated? Why can't I just turn the crankshaft, jump in the car, and take off?

Thanks again, everyone.
Yes, I'd suggest download a google map to the phone as previously suggested then turn off wifi to test.

As for this being complicated, i'd say its complicated becuase you dont have a data plan for your phone like most people do. The G2 is a tech car which tries to integrate the phone function with the display. I think your set up is the exception not the norm. I hope it works out for you. Good luck and enjoy your new Volt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was hoping to have the navigation piped into my Volt screen instead of having to get a cradle for my phone.
FWIW, there are now magnetic cellphone/navigation grips. I've got one mounted on my Gen2 Volt's dash just above the built-in infotainment screen. These use magnets in the bits stuck to the car's dash along with metal plates that fit into the cell phone (if they've got removable backs), between the phone and its plastic shell (if you use one), or stuck to the back of the phone. They're easier to use than the typical cradle. In the case of the Gen2 Volt, the dash above the infotainment system is big enough to hold this device and a phone without blocking the road even a little. This placement may also marginally improve GPS and cell phone reception, compared to keeping the phone clipped to your belt, in a purse, or stashed under the dash or on the passenger seat. I got mine at Best Buy, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere.

I should be able to just turn off wifi on my phone and see what happens. Would that enable me to test it, or would AA still pick up the OnStar wifi somehow?
Yes, turning off WiFi on the phone should enable you to preview what it would be like if/when you let the OnStar data plan expire. You could also tell the phone to forget the car's WiFi account information, but then you'd need to re-enter it when you want to use it again.

You might also want to review carriers and data plans. Many today offer cheap data plans. I don't know offhand how much data Google Maps consumes, but it's probably low enough that you wouldn't need a lot of data unless you drive a lot with navigation active.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was only teasing about the car being complicated. It is, of course -- but that's the price we pay for technology, and I'm happy to pay that price. And yes, I know perfectly well that I am a rare exception (or, should I say, an exceptional person) by not having a data plan. Just don't need it.

(And, though I'm a geezer, I'm not quite so old that my first car had a crankshaft!)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, there are now magnetic cellphone/navigation grips. I've got one mounted on my Gen2 Volt's dash just above the built-in infotainment screen. These use magnets in the bits stuck to the car's dash along with metal plates that fit into the cell phone (if they've got removable backs), between the phone and its plastic shell (if you use one), or stuck to the back of the phone. They're easier to use than the typical cradle.
Sounds good. I'll check it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Onstar is a pretty cheap way to get data, it's $10/month for 1G which is all you need for navigation. After you've tried AA I doubt that you will want to go back. Online navigation knows about traffic and will reroute you around traffic jams, offline can't do that. In addition Google's Voice recognition really works, Chevy's is awful. An example is making a phone call. If you tell AA to call a person that has more then one phone number in your contact list it will ask you which number to use and it will understand when you say home, cell, office, etc. The built in voice recognition requires you to select the number using the buttons on the steering wheel, this is dangerous because it requires you to take your eyes off of the road.

OnStar is using AT&T which has really good coverage which is made even better by the fact that the roof antenna is better than any phone's antenna can possible be. I've been in lot's of rural places where I can't get a Verizon connection on my phone but I can get a connection from the car.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

Thanks again, everyone.
Hi Jerry,
I'm sorta new to Android Auto as I just got it installed this week on my 2017, so I have been playing with it trying to figure out the same questions that you have. I can tell you that you don't need the Onstar data/wifi plan because mine is long gone. AA works great with the data plan on my phone and appears to use very little data during a trip.
I downloaded my local area in Google Maps to my phone for Offline use, then switched the phone to use Wifi Only for map updates, which should have effectively turned off the data use for Google Maps. (Remember, there is no wifi in my car.) Then planned a route in AA and it worked just fine. The only thing I noticed is if I deviated from the planned route, it took a few seconds longer to re-calculate the new route.
Oh yea, the steering wheel buttons DO WORK for voice control in AA. To activate the Google voice control you press & hold the voice command button for about 3 seconds until the beep, then ask google anything you like. A short push on the button goes to the car's voice control. I use it to change the radio stations. Goggle search "google maps voice commands" and you should find lots of examples of things google can answer. It is very cool to just push the button then say "Navigate to whatever" and have the map & route pop up on the center screen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just played with Google Maps and Android Auto with the phone in Airplane mode. First issue was that my attempt to pick a (recent) location to get directions to failed because of no data connection to Google.

I got around that by unplugging the phone and picking my destination directly on the phone. Plugged back into the car and loaded Maps. It immediately offered up the directions, but gave a warning about being offline and traffic data not being available. I was even able to pick alternate route.

Regarding offline caching of map data, you can download very large chunks of the state for offline use from the sliding menu. I got most of California from San Diego to San Francisco and Sacramento downloaded in four chunks. They took about 1.5 gigabyte storage.

Using Maps without any data connection won't be the best experience, but since your choice is no data on the phone sized screen or on the car screen, car screen sounds better to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, everyone, for the further responses. I spent much of today learning about the changes in the instrumentation displays, vehicle settings, and infotainment system. I even read the manual (I am one of the odd few who actually do RTFM). So tomorrow my project will be to test Android Auto navigation in offline mode with no data plan. I'll report back.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Thanks again, everyone.
It's pretty simple. With no data connection, your only option is to use your home internet (or the internet wherever you are) and pre-download the maps for the area(s) you will be driving. An earlier post in this thread showed the steps. Once the map data has been downloaded to your phone, you will be able to use Google Maps through Android Auto without your phone having an internet connection.

Honestly, though, seems like a lot of work to save $10... and for for $10/mo the 1GB onstar plan would likely be more than enough to do nav.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hi Jerry,
I'm sorta new to Android Auto as I just got it installed this week on my 2017, so I have been playing with it trying to figure out the same questions that you have. I can tell you that you don't need the Onstar data/wifi plan because mine is long gone. AA works great with the data plan on my phone and appears to use very little data during a trip.
I downloaded my local area in Google Maps to my phone for Offline use, then switched the phone to use Wifi Only for map updates, which should have effectively turned off the data use for Google Maps. (Remember, there is no wifi in my car.) Then planned a route in AA and it worked just fine. The only thing I noticed is if I deviated from the planned route, it took a few seconds longer to re-calculate the new route.
Oh yea, the steering wheel buttons DO WORK for voice control in AA. To activate the Google voice control you press & hold the voice command button for about 3 seconds until the beep, then ask google anything you like. A short push on the button goes to the car's voice control. I use it to change the radio stations. Goggle search "google maps voice commands" and you should find lots of examples of things google can answer. It is very cool to just push the button then say "Navigate to whatever" and have the map & route pop up on the center screen.
Thanks for the tip about the long press on the call button, it never occured to be that the button had two modes. I tried it today and it works.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the long press on the call button, it never occured to be that the button had two modes. I tried it today and it works.
FYI this is also on p90 of the infotainment manual under "Voice Pass-through" - at least it is in my 2017 manual.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts