GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got AA installed a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to work fine initially - navigation worked, it received texts and displayed a message allowing me to listen to them and respond.

Lately, though, it keeps crashing. Most often, a message appears on the MyLink screen saying there is no USB device for this function (or something like that), and AA disconnects. Sometimes this happens spontaneously, but usually it happens after receiving a text. In fact, I can trigger it pretty reliably by sending a text to myself.

My phone is a Verizon Moto X running Android 5.1

I tried several different USB cables, including a brand new one and the cable that came with my phone. I've also tried disconnecting both bluetooth and AA in both the MyLink and phone's settings. Nothing so far has changed the behavior.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got AA installed a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to work fine initially - navigation worked, it received texts and displayed a message allowing me to listen to them and respond.

Lately, though, it keeps crashing. Most often, a message appears on the MyLink screen saying there is no USB device for this function (or something like that), and AA disconnects. Sometimes this happens spontaneously, but usually it happens after receiving a text. In fact, I can trigger it pretty reliably by sending a text to myself.

I tried several different USB cables, including a brand new one and the cable that came with my phone. I've also tried disconnecting both bluetooth and AA in both the MyLink and phone's settings. Nothing so far has changed the behavior.

Any ideas?
Question 1) Is your android modified or rooted? If so, would you be willing to try stock?
Question 2) Would a friend be able to test it with their android phone? Or would they be able to let you borrow theirs?

·
Registered
968 Posts

Any ideas?
I get the occasional not being able to identify my phone when plugged but a simple reboot takes care of it. Happens about 5% of the time but no big deal to me as it only takes a minute to reboot. However, I've never seen the text related issue you describe.

As a side note, another forum member Tomt stated that Verizon recently updated his Galaxy S7 to deal with some bugs. Maybe something is coming your way soon.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?235170-Problem-with-use-of-port-data-mode-for-AA-with-Galaxy-S7-Edge&p=3376201#post3376201

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question 1) Is your android modified or rooted? If so, would you be willing to try stock?
Question 2) Would a friend be able to test it with their android phone? Or would they be able to let you borrow theirs?
It's not rooted or modified.

I tried yet another cable (a brand new one from MediaBridge, which usually makes pretty solid stuff) and it seemed to work. I sent myself a text and it didn't crash, which is good - but the screen blinked to black briefly and it didn't otherwise notify me of the text. I need to try sending a text from someone else's phone - and, as you suggest, using someone else's phone to connect AA.

I have a feeling that, as many others have reported, it might be that the cable is actually the problem. It worked very will with a new cable a week or two ago for a few days, then I started having these issues again. I wonder if the connector gets a little loose over time.

I get the occasional not being able to identify my phone when plugged but a simple reboot takes care of it. Happens about 5% of the time but no big deal to me as it only takes a minute to reboot. However, I've never seen the text related issue you describe.

As a side note, another forum member Tomt stated that Verizon recently updated his Galaxy S7 to deal with some bugs. Maybe something is coming your way soon.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?235170-Problem-with-use-of-port-data-mode-for-AA-with-Galaxy-S7-Edge&p=3376201#post3376201
Right, that would be nice - assuming the problem is with the phone! don't have the port data mode issue (the phone is not a Samsung).

·
Registered
968 Posts
Right, that would be nice - assuming the problem is with the phone! don't have the port data mode issue (the phone is not a Samsung).
I know its not a samsung, but if the issue is related to Verizons tweaked version of marshmallow and the phone is the issue then there night have been hope. The way you prented the issue with your texts being tied to the crashes made me believe that it was a phone issue and not a cable.

With more info, it definitely seems like the cable or the port connection may be the issue. Some early AA users reported that the port connection was a little loose and when they used a beefier connector/cable, then it solved their problem. Anyway, hope you have better luck moving forward.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it seems the problem with crashing was indeed due to the USB cable. With a new Mediabridge cable, it no longer crashes.

There is, however, still a bit of oddness with receiving texts that I think I've figured out. It seems that receiving a *group text* (i.e., a text addressed to both me and someone else) messes up the system. Sometimes it flashes a black screen asking me to plug in a USB device for this function (similar to the messages I was getting before). At least it doesn't crash - but it also seems to wreak some sort of havoc such that further texts - even if they are NOT group texts - do not register with AA. No notification and no message on the AA screen that a text has been received.

The cause seems to be that the MyLink system, independent of AA, is perfectly happy with group texts, which causes some sort of conflict. When the phone is connected only via bluetooth, but not AA, MyLink detects group texts and allows you to listen to them. I went into the phone's bluetooth settings for the MyLink connection and disable access to messages. That prevents MyLink from handling any text messages - but, for whatever reason, with this setting AA simply ignores group texts rather than trying and failing to handle them. It does handle ordinary texts perfectly fine, even after the phone receives a group text. Although not perfect, this is certainly preferable to AA screwing up its text message handling for the entire drive after receiving just a single group text.

This isn't ideal because if I don't bother to plug in and start AA, MyLink doesn't handle texts at all so I can't listen to them. It could be a problem specific to my phone; the next step is to try it with someone else's phone. I run Verizon's Message+ app (on a Moto X) and I have a hunch that Message+ is somehow involved.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So it seems the problem with crashing was indeed due to the USB cable. With a new Mediabridge cable, it no longer crashes.

There is, however, still a bit of oddness with receiving texts that I think I've figured out. It seems that receiving a *group text* (i.e., a text addressed to both me and someone else) messes up the system. Sometimes it flashes a black screen asking me to plug in a USB device for this function (similar to the messages I was getting before). At least it doesn't crash - but it also seems to wreak some sort of havoc such that further texts - even if they are NOT group texts - do not register with AA. No notification and no message on the AA screen that a text has been received.

The cause seems to be that the MyLink system, independent of AA, is perfectly happy with group texts, which causes some sort of conflict. When the phone is connected only via bluetooth, but not AA, MyLink detects group texts and allows you to listen to them. I went into the phone's bluetooth settings for the MyLink connection and disable access to messages. That prevents MyLink from handling any text messages - but, for whatever reason, with this setting AA simply ignores group texts rather than trying and failing to handle them. It does handle ordinary texts perfectly fine, even after the phone receives a group text. Although not perfect, this is certainly preferable to AA screwing up its text message handling for the entire drive after receiving just a single group text.

This isn't ideal because if I don't bother to plug in and start AA, MyLink doesn't handle texts at all so I can't listen to them. It could be a problem specific to my phone; the next step is to try it with someone else's phone. I run Verizon's Message+ app (on a Moto X) and I have a hunch that Message+ is somehow involved.
I have already suggested this to someone else, so I will suggest it to you for a test. Without the USB connected to the phone, remove the bluetooth pairing for the mylink. Then remove the pairing from your phone (both for bluetooth and android auto). Then just connect to usb and go through the android auto setup again, and see if the issue persists. Also it is possible that the 3rd party app (Verizon Message+) is causing the problem. I wouldn't be surprised to be honest haha

·
Registered
968 Posts

Good to hear you're cable is improving things, but sounds like you still have issues.

I'll try to remember later to have a buddy send me a group text next time I'm in the car to test your theory.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Without the USB connected to the phone, remove the bluetooth pairing for the mylink. Then remove the pairing from your phone (both for bluetooth and android auto). Then just connect to usb and go through the android auto setup again, and see if the issue persists.
Right, I've gone through all sorts of variants of removing bluetooth and AA pairings from both the car and the phone, but the text message issue persists. Unless I disable permission for MyLink to access messages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts