GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my daughter was in the hospital getting a routine procedure done. Next thing my wife and I know, she's in ICU because of two bad reactions. Thank God we were able to jump in the Volt and just go to the hospital.

There are times that not having to even think about range anxiety is as precious as life itself.

Thanks, GM, and we mean that from the bottom of our hearts!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
So, my daughter was in the hospital getting a routine procedure done. Next thing my wife and I know, she's in ICU because of two bad reactions. Thank God we were able to jump in the Volt and just go to the hospital.

There are times that not having to even think about range anxiety is as precious as life itself.

I hope your daughter is OK now. The Volt certainly provides the flexibility in range that my LEAF didn't. I usually kept the LEAF battery at 80% SOC or lower unless I planned to make a trip out of the immediate area. So if an emergency arose, possibly like yours, The LEAF might not be up to the task.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was trying recently to petition the officials at the hospital I work at to install EV chargers. While I have my own selfish reasons to have them, I thought it would be reassuring for the family members of patients to have chargers available in case they have loved ones in the hospital. After all, emergencies rarely respect the SoC of our EVs. It certainly would be one less thing for them to have to worry about. I think my request fell on deaf ears.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

I hope everything is ok with your family. Your reason is the very reason I would never even consider a BEV and is why I always keep my Volt full of gas, or at the bare minimum, half a tank.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Volt has the flexibility no other car can offer. It is the thinking person's car. It's lack of popularity is explained by the same paradigm that has put Trump one step from the presidency

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Volt has the flexibility no other car can offer. It is the thinking person's car.
Yup! I worked at a company that had mostly engineers. And, by far, the most common car parked at the chargers in the lot was the Volt. It just makes sense - electric most of the time, but gas powered seamlessly when you need it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The Volt has the flexibility no other car can offer. It is the thinking person's car. It's lack of popularity is explained by the same paradigm that has put Trump one step from the presidency
+1000. You can't fix stupid...but you can apparently quench stupid's thirst with petroleum.

So the Donald tells us he was joking when he said climate change was invented by and for the Chinese. Well, WHY would someone's mind even think like that in the first place?? He is a broken human being, not a potential Commander in Chief...God help us all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The upcoming 200+ mile EV should be in fine in this situation also, however I agree the Volt is the perfect EV to own right now. It's definitely the smart ("thinking") persons car. It's the reason I bought it after exploring all the options.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sure hope there are more sane Americans than insane Americans, come next November. I'm optimistic, but not completely convinced about that. Imagine putting that ugly, scowling trump face up as the President of the United States. What the hell is wrong with us?

Sorry to digress, but I'm truly worried. And I love my Volts...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the medical issues. Hopefully they get resolved and she's back to her normal self soon.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I live close enough that I could run to the local ER. Since I'm not a medical professional, taking an extra hour to get to an ICU wouldn't be a big deal, but if I really needed to get somewhere ASAP, I had a BEV and by coincidence it didn't have enough charge to do that, I'd get a cab.

My family is across an ocean, so the fact that we have a Volt didn't make a difference to my emergency trip earlier this year.

I hope your daughter fully recovers.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
@bobrad and flmark: I was born and raised in NYC (the Bronx). I don’t subscribe to the tone of Trump, nor do I believe in his rhetoric. However, I see him as not being so monstrous as you see him because to me he is typical New York City: hot air and bloated self-importance, but not really a threat. It’s a sense that I have, having lived among people that had that NY air of self-importance. It is not threatening to me. If he were to become president, I don’t believe that the world would end, nor do I believe that he would not temper his actions to avoid a catastrophe. He is an intelligent individual. He is not a perfect specimen of Homo Sapiens. He may very well be a very successful opportunist. I happen to think that he is a closet Democrat anyway. Now, if Bernie becomes the Democrat candidate vs Trump, no question, my vote goes to Bernie. If it is Clinton vs Trump, again, no question, Trump gets my vote.

And I love my Volt, too. 8^)

·
Registered
145 Posts
@bobrad and flmark: I was born and raised in NYC (the Bronx). I don’t subscribe to the tone of Trump, nor do I believe in his rhetoric. However, I see him as not being so monstrous as you see him because to me he is typical New York City: hot air and bloated self-importance, but not really a threat. It’s a sense that I have, having lived among people that had that NY air of self-importance. It is not threatening to me. If he were to become president, I don’t believe that the world would end, nor do I believe that he would not temper his actions to avoid a catastrophe. He is an intelligent individual. He is not a perfect specimen of Homo Sapiens. He may very well be a very successful opportunist. I happen to think that he is a closet Democrat anyway. Now, if Bernie becomes the Democrat candidate vs Trump, no question, my vote goes to Bernie. If it is Clinton vs Trump, again, no question, Trump gets my vote.

And I love my Volt, too. 8^)
OK - well, I agree with almost everything you've said - except for the Sanders comment. As a California Conservative (read as moderate anywhere else in the nation) I respect Bernie for his candor and integrity but cannot see his positions as viable. Things would have been different if Biden had chosen to run but as it is both Democratic candidates are not acceptable. Trump is a businessman - he knows how far to push and I think he would acquit himself acceptably. He has one thing going for him - no ties to special interest groups. The most important thing I want to see out of his candidacy is his VP selection - Condi would be a moon shot (if he could talk her into it), Gingrich would balance Trumps lack of congressional exposure, and Palin would sink him. Other than that - I agree - I love my Volt.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
'I was born and raised in NYC (the Bronx). I don’t subscribe to the tone of Trump, nor do I believe in his rhetoric. However, I see him as not being so monstrous as you see him because to me he is typical New York City: hot air and bloated self-importance, but not really a threat. It’s a sense that I have, having lived among people that had that NY air of self-importance. It is not threatening to me. If he were to become president, I don’t believe that the world would end, nor do I believe that he would not temper his actions to avoid a catastrophe. He is an intelligent individual. He is not a perfect specimen of Homo Sapiens. He may very well be a very successful opportunist. I happen to think that he is a closet Democrat anyway. Now, if Bernie becomes the Democrat candidate vs Trump, no question, my vote goes to Bernie. If it is Clinton vs Trump, again, no question, Trump gets my vote.'

My apologies in advance, as OP is about traumatic incident and my thoughts and prayers are with the family.

However, I feel compelled to try and negate this kind of 'excuse' for the boorish and offensive Trump actions and words. The follow on comment also needs the same treatment, even though not quoted above. First, let me say that I am no fan of Clinton and would vote against her in most other parallel universes. HOWEVER-

The Commander in Chief of this country is also our head of state, our 'diplomat in chief', and representative of the US to other nations. It is patently ABSURD that we would elect a man so obnoxious that the British parliament would actually debate to let him into the country. This is not funny; it is serious. We cannot excuse him because he is a business man or he is from NYC. Wars have been waged over less than the crap that comes from his mouth. A vote for Trump is a vote for the US becoming rejected from the court of world affairs. I only brought up his absurdity with comments about climate change, but there are dozens of other things that could be discussed. He would certainly do NOTHING to promote the use of electric cars, as is the entire focus of this forum. That alone should be a reason to reject him by the Volt driving community. There is a reason that the only demographic of considerable success for Trump is UNEDUCATED white males. (His OVERWHELMING negative ratings from most every other demographic speaks volumes about his ability to offend and isolate). It disgusts me that I even have to translate these thoughts into typed words.

When Clinton was running for Senator in NY, my brother in law was active in the Republican party in Western NY. I asked about the Republican alternative (who was subsequently soundly defeated)...and the response was 'ABC'...that would be 'Anybody But Clinton'. With Trump, we have found the exception to 'ABC'. We can have a personal distaste for our chief executive...but when billions of others, in other countries, also scorn the man, we would be idiots to elect him.

...and, as if on queue, today brings another headline:
'Trump says he and Cameron may not 'have good relationship'
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-he-and-cameron-may-not-have-good-relationship/ar-BBt6b9a

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward Tyer
"The Volt has the flexibility no other car can offer. It is the thinking person's car. It's lack of popularity is explained by the same paradigm that has put Trump one step from the presidency"

Same thought occurred to me. But I have a tough time making my fellow Canadians understand the Volt. The blank stares astound me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all who expressed your concern for my daughter. She's doing well and expected to make a complete recovery.

I'm quite amused that the Donald managed to hijack this thread.

Thanks again for your well wishes!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Same thought occurred to me. But I have a tough time making my fellow Canadians understand the Volt. The blank stares astound me.
"It's like a really big block heater, see. So big that you you can warm up your car without burning any gas. For like 50 kilometers."

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I was trying recently to petition the officials at the hospital I work at to install EV chargers. While I have my own selfish reasons to have them, I thought it would be reassuring for the family members of patients to have chargers available in case they have loved ones in the hospital. After all, emergencies rarely respect the SoC of our EVs. It certainly would be one less thing for them to have to worry about. I think my request fell on deaf ears.
Someone really needs to start marketing EVSEs that are supplied from the 400v power used in the lot lamp poles so installing the EVSEs becomes almost trivial.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks to all who expressed your concern for my daughter. She's doing well and expected to make a complete recovery.

I'm quite amused that the Donald managed to hijack this thread.

Thanks again for your well wishes!
Good to hear! I am always nervous about a situation arising where I'd need an extended range that the 80 mile EVs can't offer. The Bolt might satisfy my range anxiety, but nothing short of 200 miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someone really needs to start marketing EVSEs that are supplied from the 400v power used in the lot lamp poles so installing the EVSEs becomes almost trivial.
If you go between two 440 volt phases, it's 254 volts. That should work with most level 2 chargers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts