GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Volt and I migrated from Dallas to Austin for a 2 day conference. Austin is a bright blue dot in the middle of a big red state so it was natural for the Hotel to offer free charging. Well free for 2 vehicles. When I got there a Tesla was occupying one and I took the other. As it wasn't going to complete till after midnight I checked with the attendants who said no need to move it. At 7:00 AM I came down to move the Volt so someone else could use the charger. The Tesla was still in place. I moved mine to the self parking floor and when I came back down there was this big Ford Diesal pickup backed into the charging space.

I tattled to the parking attendant who said he knew the hotel guest and would make him move it. What gets me is there were open parking places all over the place. I would say there were more vacant parking places than used parking places. The guy had to know he was blocking the charger.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You give people too much credit. Stupidity abounds. Definitely possible he didn't realise he was blocking the space.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If they would’ve put the EVSE in a less attractive spot in the parking area, that would likely not have happened. I’ve seen plenty of installations that were the equivalent of a handicap parking spot in terms of convenience. We all know that it is human nature to want to park in the closest spot to the entrance.

Of course placement is sometimes dictated by convenience of were the electrical source is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. There was a plugged in car and the charger is prominent. Also the chargers are the valet parking area of the garage. The only self parkers in that area is supposed to be those using the charger. There was plenty of open parking in the parking garage. I was looking this morning and apparently trucks blocking chargers is a thing now. Also there is something called "rolling coal".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal

·
Registered
678 Posts
Rolling coal has been around for years and is also illegal as it voids the emissions certification...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It's just not truck drivers. Even EV drivers like to park closer to entrance doors. Plugged into dual L2 charger at a Mall which is fairly close to entrance door and beside me was a plugged in Tesla (first one I've seen here). He could have plugged into the always empty supercharger network at the far side of the Mall parking lot but it would have been farther to walk. He'd rather have a what amounts to a trickle charge than walk a little ways to get a fuller charge. An hour later when I got back he was gone but in the mean time he was using an L2 that another car could have used. For the little amount he would have got he could have parked much closer to either entrance in regular parking spots.

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's just not truck drivers. Even EV drivers like to park closer to entrance doors. Plugged into dual L2 charger at a Mall which is fairly close to entrance door and beside me was a plugged in Tesla (first one I've seen here). He could have plugged into the always empty supercharger network at the far side of the Mall parking lot but it would have been farther to walk. He'd rather have a what amounts to a trickle charge than walk a little ways to get a fuller charge. An hour later when I got back he was gone but in the mean time he was using an L2 that another car could have used. For the little amount he would have got he could have parked much closer to either entrance in regular parking spots.
Well, that tesla owner can pull at up 40 miles per hour depending on the Onboard charger. Some have dual chargers (80mph) I wouldn’t call the slow.

A Gen 1 Volt Owner would be doing good to get 10-11 miles per hour max.
This is why I’ve never charged at public EVSE. I’m sure back when the Volt was the only vehicle out there It was novel to even be able to charge. Nowadays, I consider it ICEing. Especially if the location only has has One EVSE.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Well, that tesla owner can pull at up 40 miles per hour depending on the Onboard charger. Some have dual chargers (80mph) I wouldn’t call the slow.

A Gen 1 Volt Owner would be doing good to get 10-11 miles per hour max.
This is why I’ve never charged at public EVSE. I’m sure back when the Volt was the only vehicle out there It was novel to even be able to charge. Nowadays, I consider it ICEing. Especially if the location only has has One EVSE.

All the L2 chargers around here are 7 Kw. chargers, that's why I call them convenience chargers and why they are all free and even the smallest towns have them. If he had charged at the Supercharger station and walked across the parking lot he could have pulled some real miles in the hour.

·
Registered
610 Posts
All the L2 chargers around here are 7 Kw. chargers, that's why I call them convenience chargers and why they are all free and even the smallest towns have them. If he had charged at the Supercharger station and walked across the parking lot he could have pulled some real miles in the hour.
I this particular case, sure. But, I’d guess he didn’t even need to charge to begin with, otherwise he would have been at the SC across the parking lot. Oh, you didn’t mention what Model tesla it was. If it was a 3 he might have had to pay for Supercharging, while the L2 was Free.

Human nature strikes again

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
You give people too much credit. Stupidity abounds. Definitely possible he didn't realise he was blocking the space.
I think the odds are pretty good the driver was being an A-hole. Of course if called on it, the driver will claim ignorance. Like that's a bullet proof excuse...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I this particular case, sure. But, I’d guess he didn’t even need to charge to begin with, otherwise he would have been at the SC across the parking lot. Oh, you didn’t mention what Model tesla it was. If it was a 3 he might have had to pay for Supercharging, while the L2 was Free.

Human nature strikes again

I thought of that but it was an S. Haven't seen an 3 yet except in pictures. I'm surprised if he didn't need a charge that he didn't park closer to the doors. Must be human nature to plug in for free even if you don't need it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Then again, it's a mall, and people don't typically drive super long distances to get to a mall, so what if the driver was spending a little over an hour, and didn't need more than 30 or so miles of charge, then an L2 charger at 7-8kW an hour would make total sense, as opposed to a supercharger with idle fees.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think you may be giving too much credit to the Tesla driver as well. There is a decent chance they would not be able to tell you what the expected charge rates of the two different charge station were. Also possible the driver was not even the owner, but a family member less familiar with that stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts