GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anaheim again tries to scoop the West Coast auto show circuit with another ho-hum offering, but Chevy is there in force with a big display, including 2 Volts- one a striking Red Tincoat drawing good crowds. About Bolt, however, Chevy is up to its usual underwhelming tricks: a lone Bolt lacking any special display other than it was on the carpet and open to sit in, though the rear hatch was locked shut, a stupid move with a lame excuse offered. So-so crowd interest in Bolt when I was there (first half day of the show) and none to drive in the demo fleet which was closed any way until tomorrow. Am I the only one who thinks that a half dozen demo Bolts would have been good (read:normal) marketing? Toyota, for one, gets it: their demo fleet had big lines waiting to sample a broad lineup that included the new Prime. (yawn) I didn't test drive anything because "we already drive the best there is out there".

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Chevy marketing is a misnomer. Chevy clueless would be more apt in my opinion. Fantastic car, great engineering, awful marketing. That's the Volt, and will likely apply to the Bolt EV saddly.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
...Fantastic car, great engineering, awful marketing...
Maybe, but I think they spend on Marketing where the money is now, not in the future. IOW, trucks and SUVs.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My theory is not incompetence by GM, but rather that they are not marketing the EV tech on purpose. Maybe LG chem is maxed out on their battery production capacity.

·
Registered
354 Posts
...or maybe they make a lot more profit on ICE vehicles and feel it is in their best interests to protect the only thing they have of value, their core competency, which is powertrain related. They subcontract out most of the rest of the car as it is and just assemble them. Big auto makers are largely engine and transmission companies.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The goal for the press fleet is to get max exposure per day.

Perhaps the OC Auto Show is not a historically big producer.

Lots of models and brands are ignoring it.

Here's the Test Drive brands: Acura, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, FIAT, Ford, Honda, Jeep®, Kia, Mazda, Ram, Scion and Toyota

They let me beat the crap out of a Subaru STi at the LA Show years ago, don't even see them there. No Cadillac CT6? Huh?

No Lexus? No BMW? No Benz? No Audi?

Not worth my time. Nothing I really want to drive is there apparently.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Maybe, but I think they spend on Marketing where the money is now, not in the future. IOW, trucks and SUVs.
Maybe, but look at how Toyota handled the Prius. They shouted it from the rooftops and it became a Halo car and increased over all sales by "image" It is sad when many dealerships don't even carry the Volt, and now, my service dealership for the time being has decided to not sell or service the 2016-17 Volts.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Maybe, but look at how Toyota handled the Prius. They shouted it from the rooftops and it became a Halo car and increased over all sales by "image" It is sad when many dealerships don't even carry the Volt, and now, my service dealership for the time being has decided to not sell or service the 2016-17 Volts.
I agree with you. It's just that GM is putting advertising where they make money now, not where they want to go. I think that's shortsighted.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
...a lone Bolt lacking any special display other than it was on the carpet and open to sit in, though the rear hatch was locked shut, a stupid move with a lame excuse offered.
I'd really like to see that underfloor well in the back to see if there's any potential to store a spare tire there. Or failing that, to see it there's enough room under the "false floor" panel.

The fact that there's been a pretty consistent cover-up of the details of that area really makes me wonder if there's some last-minute decisions being made about it. In my dreams it would mean they'll offer some sort of spare tire stowage kit like they have for the Volt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts