GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you own a Volt, then you drive the Prime, merging to the freeway with a short ramp can give you a heart attack, as all the while pressing heavily on the accelerator all the way down to the floor as it tries to catch up with the speed of the traffic. Very slow car to drive while merging, very poor acceleration, it lacks the performance of a real car. The Volt has better performance than an average car and can compete with muscle cars from full stop. The Prime has a lousy battery thermal management system, less than half the battery range of the Volt that you have to recharge it more than twice a day to match the battery range of the Volt. You can drive it at high speeds if you like, like all the other cars, but to get at that high speed takes a while. Many Prius owners drive at way higher than the posted speed limit on the freeway thinking that they can make up for their slow acceleration.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-prius-prime-americas-most-popular-hybrid-lacks-energy-1515164115

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ouch, that hurt!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The highway I have to drive on every day to get to work and back has no acceleration lanes and just about everyone on it drives like a nut. When I went from the Prius PiP to the Volt, the driving experience was like night and day, so I see not much has changed.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
.... Many Prius owners drive at way higher than the posted speed limit on the freeway thinking that they can make up for their slow acceleration.
Interesting theory. I don't see it....:confused:
I blame that dang display right up there on top that makes them drive slow, pinch pennies and become a nuisance.

The Prime is still a hack of the original Prius.
Step on the gas too much - Gasser comes on.
Press the Defrost button - Gasser comes on.
No TMS.
Still not a full feature 4 season EV. Just a limited PHEV.

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Interesting theory. I don't see it....
I see Prius speed demons on the highway regularly. They pass me like I am standing still. That's fine, other cars speed to, but I think that was what the OP was referring to, "See? I'm not driving a slow Prius, I can (eventually) go really fast!"

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I see Prius speed demons on the highway regularly. They pass me like I am standing still. That's fine, other cars speed to, but I think that was what the OP was referring to, "See? I'm not driving a slow Prius, I can (eventually) go really fast!"
I see that all the time as well, amazes me in a way.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I see that all the time as well, amazes me in a way.
It doesn't amaze me. I would not want to be inside a Prius one minute longer than necessary. :D

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The new Honda seems the only real competition in the Volt’s segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Less range, 500lb heavier, vague handling, virtually identical acceleration as the Volts sold in late 2015. But it is perhaps the closest thing to a Volt for sale.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Less range, 500lb heavier, vague handling, virtually identical acceleration as the Volts sold in late 2015. But it is perhaps the closest thing to a Volt for sale.
Is also a bigger car, so a large chunk of each of those is kind of to be expected. If the Clarity was as good as a Volt in everything AND still bigger, it would be something of an embarrassment for GM.

·
Registered
675 Posts
From the WSJ article:
"Five years ago, I regarded the frequent charging required by PHEVs to be a reasonable expectation of consumer behavior. But after testing a dozen plug-in-capable cars I realize how easy it is to fall behind on charging and how bothersome it can be. In my experience the threshold of aggravation is around 40 miles of EV range. In cars with less EV range—like that BMW i8—I experience a microcosmic version of range anxiety."
This matches my experience. I have virtually no range anxiety on the gen2; micro range anxiety on the gen1 on a regular basis. On the gen2, if I fire up the gas engine its because I needed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts