GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rather than a personalized license plate, I went with a personalized Chevy Bow Tie. A little more understated, but stated nonetheless.

I have added the EPS file below so you can download it if you want. Change the extension from"pdf" to "eps" before supplying it to a sign/decal company.
ElectricVoltBowTie.jpg ElectricVolt.jpg View attachment ELECTRIC_change.pdf

·
Registered
912 Posts
It just came to me! What could be the coolest Volt accessory ever!! Have the bow tie back lit with Luminglas!! Were it is Gold now it should be Luminglas!!! Picture this behind the badge!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2vtp-Hcsk

Sorry about the music, it is pretty awful, but wouldn't a bow tie badge like that be the coolest thing ever?!!!

Edit: If anyone in GM R&D wants to run with that idea, it's yours! You are free to use my idea!! Just make it happen!!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Very nice. I also like the person who painted the gold section to black to match his volt.

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I created a custom EPS file (a file format used by vinyl cutting machines) in Adobe Illustrator to match the bow tie slant. The Volt logo is uses very angular letter shapes, so I mimicked that in the C and R.

I sent the file to www.diylettering.com and ordered two sets of lettering strips created in a self adhesive vinyl. Cost per strip is $6, plus $2.50 delivery (US Mail). These strips are a three layer sandwich: Backer, lettering, carrier. You peel off the backer, carefully place the strip of letters, rub to firmly adhere them, and then peel off the carrier sheet. The letters are left firmly adhered.

I chose black as I think it has the best legibility and matches the black roof/rear panel.

I first cleaned the surface with alcohol 6 times using an old cotton handkerchief. I then carefully positioned and applied a line of masking tape to the bow tie where I wanted the bottom of the letters to be. I added tick marks as well. I visually aligned the strip of lettering using the masking tape and tick marks as my guides. The letters stick upon touch and can not be repositioned (but can be peeled off with some effort or using a hair dryer.

This is why I ordered more than one strip of lettering. One as a backup should the first attempt go bad. It did of course. The slightest touch of the letters and they are stuck. The lettering can not be repositioned like masking tape!

If you want to try this, I can resend them the file so they can create more.
electricStep1.jpg electricStep2.jpg electricStep3.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Would you be willing to order more and I would send you a check for the amount?
Stuart. #2209

I created a custom EPS file (a file format used by vinyl cutting machines) in Adobe Illustrator to match the bow tie slant. The Volt logo is uses very angular letter shapes, so I mimicked that in the C and R.

I sent the file to www.diylettering.com and ordered two sets of lettering strips created in a self adhesive vinyl. Cost per strip is $6, plus $2.50 delivery (US Mail). These strips are a three layer sandwich: Backer, lettering, carrier. You peel off the backer, carefully place the strip of letters, rub to firmly adhere them, and then peel off the carrier sheet. The letters are left firmly adhered.

I chose black as I think it has the best legibility and matches the black roof/rear panel.

I first cleaned the surface with alcohol 6 times using an old cotton handkerchief. I then carefully positioned and applied a line of masking tape to the bow tie where I wanted the bottom of the letters to be. I added tick marks as well. I visually aligned the strip of lettering using the masking tape and tick marks as my guides. The letters stick upon touch and can not be repositioned (but can be peeled off with some effort or using a hair dryer.

This is why I ordered more than one strip of lettering. One as a backup should the first attempt go bad. It did of course. The slightest touch of the letters and they are stuck. The lettering can not be repositioned like masking tape!

If you want to try this, I can resend them the file so they can create more.
View attachment 2455 View attachment 2456 View attachment 2454

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can order directly, Stuart. All they need is your color choice, shipping address, and payment. Tell them you want the "Volt Electric" lettering, I sent them the file. http://doityourselflettering.com/contact.htm

·
Registered
64 Posts
What a great idea, I want one too!!!

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So Steverino, are you getting a cut of the action from referrals and artistic rights? :- )
Haha. Yes, I'll become rich, RICH I tell you!

Actually, the only one making some money is the guy making the letters, and at $6 I can't complain. They have handwork involved in removing the cut areas around the letters, as well as the area inside the R. What a pain job that must be.

If others want to use the file, fine by me, that's why I made the offer. Just ask them for the "Volt Electric" lettering file. I do recommend getting 2 sets because you are almost guaranteed to mess up the first one.

I am also considering making a non-slanted version for the chrome strip beneath the Volt logo on the two sides of the car. Perhaps a clear decal for that application rather than the individual letters. The decal would be easier to wash I think, with less risk of snags. Individual letters are more suitable for the bow tie's compound curve topography.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just got my "ELECTRIC" lettering and applied it perfectly the first time!
Now I'll be educating those people stopped behind me at a light or stop sign who may not know what a Volt is. Oh, and I guess parking lots too.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey Steverino, when I get my Volt I definitely will want to get the "ELECTRIC" lettering you got. Very nice job.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice Job!

Anyone get one for a Cyrstal Red? Red or Burgandy??? Or something wild like orange!?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Actually that Lumiglass idea is pretty awesome. I'd want to make a large bowtie though, big enough to fill the device. Good idea!

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you! I will be ordering 2.
In case they need the file, I have added a download link to my original post. Change the extension from"pdf" to "eps" before supplying it to a sign/decal company.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've downloaded the OPs file without issue. The file extension is truely and .eps file and was simply edited to look like a .pdf so that it could be uploaded here.

I bought my wife a Cricut a few years ago and will be looking at making these myself. Once I get it setup, I'd be willing to make others.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts