GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking about her car (ICE) and whether she is due for an oil change. Recommendation is every 5,000 miles and it's close to due. I realized (and giggled) while we were talking, that my Volt hasn't needed GAS in over 5,000 miles.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
An oil change very 2 years for my Volt. So two oil changes in 5 years. A nuisance the Bolt EV won't have. :)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
An oil change very 2 years for my Volt. So two oil changes in 5 years. A nuisance the Bolt EV won't have. :)
Have you seen that Nissan has an annual brake fluid flush, refill annual service? Seems a bit weird. Bolt will need to offer similar service schedules to appease service-happy dealerships to carry the vehicle. Battery coolant flush and fill is possibly a 50,000 "recommended" service that dealers will chase around for. You should see the long list of recommended services our local Honda dealer has. They also have a new semi-palacial building redesign.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My ICE minivan I change the oil on once a year, that was 15,000 miles this past year. Generally, ICE vehicles don't need much service these days, most going 100k miles before needing anything beyond oil changes and maybe an air filter.

The Volt is less maintenance, but still has the ICE, so unless you go fully electric you will still have maintenance associated with an ICE. I was going to change my oil every year, but with so few ICE miles will go every 2 as recommended (I don't like to leave oil in too long since it can get corrosive with age).

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Kind of weird experience with ELR 22,500 mi service.

- OnStar called to schedule service and did not because the oil life was >20%.
- Called my dealer and set up an appointment mentioning a loose trim piece.
- Went in for my appointment and the service writer basically started over. I forgot about the trim.

Service is disjointed. I have to repeat details and OnStar vs dealer experience are different.

Got tires rotated and cabin filter replaced. $0 as these services are included. Trim is still loose.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm about 18 months since purchasing my '12 Volt and am only at 30% oil and I do more highway miles than a lot of you.

I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have you seen that Nissan has an annual brake fluid flush, refill annual service? Seems a bit weird.
I have a Leaf. The brake fluid flush is every 2 years, not annual. Also it is recommended, not required. Most Leaf owners just keep an eye on the fluid color and level and replace when needed. Many report good color and levels in their 2011's.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I have a Leaf. The brake fluid flush is every 2 years, not annual. Also it is recommended, not required. Most Leaf owners just keep an eye on the fluid color and level and replace when needed. Many report good color and levels in their 2011's.
The Gen 1 Volt calls for a brake fluid flush every.....150,000 MILES/10 YEARS.....Gen 2 simply every 5 years. Why is it that the Leaf (and Teslas as well) recommend brake fluid flushes every 2 years??

Interesting that the Spark EV calls for brake fluid changes every 30k miles/2 years. What is different about BEVs compared to the Volt that make them require more frequent brake fluid flushes? Service $$$$?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts