GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Chevy, Volt 2013
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After absorbing all the information in this post I am thinking that my plan might be possible, however I can't find in manual or even on this amazingly detailed site (Thank you all!!!) the max charge rate of the APM. I am considering getting This inverter and creating a wiring harness to the 12V battery leads. As this inverter can pull just over 80 amps at max I want to make sure that I don't just slowly drain battery if I use this inverter while the car is running for 2+ hours. (I.e. APM can only charge at 60A and then X hours later I'm in trouble and computer dies!)

I can give full use case if desired but short answer is trying to create a cheap way to turn the car into a backup generator for my pellet stove for my electric only heated house which looses electricity simi-frequently.

Last note, I have not posted much but that is because the information I needed was always already here, this is one of the best, most complete communities out there and I want to say thank you to everyone!

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can get a pre-made wiring kit here. I have one installed in my MY2014. I did have a couple minor issues with the actual installation (a missing attachment point, and some fit and trim tweaks) but am quite satisfied with the end result.

The inverter you linked looks like another labeling of the one I use which is also available with an AIMS label.

Part of the reason I selected *that* unit, is because with a few tweaks it is a nearly perfect fit to store (upside down) here.
0309190839-00.jpg

As far as amperage capacity, apparently it depends upon which APM your car has, discussed here. Regardless, there is sufficient for a 1KW inverter.

Be aware that a GM 'recall' added a 150 minute automatic power down. Details (and how to defeat it) discussed here. (I have not gotten around to it yet, but I intend to hack the inverter's 'remote' so if the car DOES power down it will turn off the inverter to avoid draining the AGM battery.)

·
Registered
Chevy, Volt 2013
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks really great. ...and I actually didn't even consider a premade wiring kit so that is good to consider, thank you. Also thank you for the link to the thread that I somehow missed *sheepish grin*, that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I kind of assumed the APM would be closer to the engine so the lower voltage wires would be the long end but if it feeds directly off the battery than I guess in the back makes sense. For me the 150 minute power down is good to know but not a bad idea just to let it be as we should be able to check on the 'generator' every two hours and that seems like it would be a good idea anyway ;-)

Thank you for your detailed information and experience! I'll update how everything goes when it is done in a few weeks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought the complete 1500Watt kit for my 2012 Volt from EV Extend when hurricane Harvey was about to hit. Luckily, I didn't need it as it arrived well after Harvey had gone. I was happy with both the wiring kit and the 1500watt Ramsond inverter. It would be difficult to create the wiring kit for much less, and definitely not if you include your time.

I have only used the inverter for about 4 hours to run a portable heater (about 800 watts), which used up about than half of the full HV battery. I tried to run my furnace, but it would not because of a grounding fault (on the furnace). I think it might if I can connect the inverter to earth ground, but I haven't had a chance to put a grounding rod out next to the driveway yet. I'll need to call 811, so I don't put it through my electric service that runs under the driveway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't needed to use mine for emergency / backup power yet. However, one of my intended use-cases was 'car camping'.

With the car configured for Voltebago use (seat backs flat, sleeping pad, other tweaks), I did a five day stint at a music festival last summer. The inverter, in conjunction with an induction hot plate, toaster, and espresso machine worked great for meals (and no open flame!)

Filled the gas tank just before arrival and it lasted the whole 5 day stretch, including running the air-conditioning as needed.

·
Registered
Chevy, Volt 2013
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone! to close out the thread I ended up getting a https://www.eastwood.com/2000w-pure-sine-wave-power-inverter-w-remote.html from Eastwood and it works great once I got solid 2 AWG cables to run it for reals. (It does work for up to about 500 watts if using jumper cables, but any more than that is typically too much for jumper cable connections.) If any other details are desired feel free to hit me up. Again, thank you all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts