GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ampara acting stupid since temp. drops below 0 Celsius. As many of you know or you don't, I realize that the preheating 10 min. before leaving did't show any consumption, even if the preheat eat over 1kw out of 10. So in some days I leave with my car showing 9 bars out of 10 and 0 kw used. Maybe I understand this but the next one I don't:
Today I leave with my battery full - 52km estimated, no preheat, AC turned Off, just heated seats, so I drove 5.5km with 1.3kw used and 1bar out of 10 used. Sound perfect for this time of year with under 0c. When I get back to the car I start and bam - 7bars out of 10. I drove back 5.5km with about same kw used so in the and at 2.7kw used i have 6 bars.
Is there someone experience the same $hit?
I attached a picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yep, welcome to Winter.
I have no trust in the Guess-O-Meter. With temperatures here well below freezing (-20 C) last week, and ERDTT happening, mileage goes crazy. I have noticed that if I start travel and in < 1km from the garage, I get ERDTT and then drive a decent distance like 60 km, it seems to actually give me the 50 km on electric that is shown on the GOM.
Short trips seem to really eat into the battery charge - probably due to heating of components, slushy/snowy roads and cabin heat.
Having said that, it is still much better mileage than I would get with my ICE Altima, just not the 110km I get in the summer.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
My Ampara acting stupid since temp. drops below 0 Celsius. As many of you know or you don't, I realize that the preheating 10 min. before leaving did't show any consumption, even if the preheat eat over 1kw out of 10. So in some days I leave with my car showing 9 bars out of 10 and 0 kw used. Maybe I understand this but the next one I don't:
Today I leave with my battery full - 52km estimated, no preheat, AC turned Off, just heated seats, so I drove 5.5km with 1.3kw used and 1bar out of 10 used. Sound perfect for this time of year with under 0c. When I get back to the car I start and bam - 7bars out of 10. I drove back 5.5km with about same kw used so in the and at 2.7kw used i have 6 bars.
Is there someone experience the same $hit?
I attached a picture...
Temperature can really mess with battery readings.

It can also be slow to update the readings, I think.
Thursday my wife stopped with 4 miles or range, started the car and it said 1 mile.

It's also possible that the car is having problems calculating state of charge overall. Lithium ion is notorious for that and because the Volt usable range is in the middle, it could get out of sync.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The GOM is not a gas gage. It is really hard (not reliable) to read how much energy is left in the lithium ion battery just by the voltage reading, couple that with varying differences (requirements) of driving styles, lube viscosity, battery temperature, heating requirements and all the other variables that in effect, well, vary and the G in GOM really does mean guess.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last week I conected my Ampera with MygreenVolt App so I was surprised of some weird things. I fully charge my battery and with fully charge in the morning I have 0.5kwh already used and 99.4 SOC, instead of 100%. I drove with Hold mode from start but the car moved only on battery until used 1Kw then ICE kick in, so I have on display 4km with 0 gas and 1kw used, 9 bars out of 10. After 30min I parked the car and after 1 hour and a half, I put the OBD reader and I notice there was 5% missing from SOC. So from 90% to 85% just parked. In general when I put in hold mode and accelerate a bit it immediately switch to gas, maybe use 0.1-0.2 from battery until switch, but today 1kw befor switch. Anybody experience this delay of ICE switch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts