GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of doing an Ampera conversion on their car? Personally, I think the Volt looks fine as it is, but the Ampera does have a unique look to it, and those with the means might consider it to differentiate their cars. I know some Dodge Magnum owners did a Chrysler 300 front clip swap on their vehicles, and some Pontiac GTO owners put the original Monaro nose back on.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Paging Nasaman... paging Nasaman...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've thought of this...I like the Ampera in the white color but I wonder if it will look good in darker colors, especially the rear with the contrasting black/grey plastic area.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I know this won't be popular to say, but I think the Ampera is a much better looking version of the front and back of the car. It looks much more sustantial in the rear and less Prius-like, and the front is very striking versus the not so exciting Malibu look of the Volt.

I would definitely swap out the parts if it wasn't a fortune to do it, but I am sure it is.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I sgree the Ampera, looks much better then the Volt from the front, I'm not a big fan of the sharp angular grill design on Chevy and Cadillacs. but from the rear I actually like the Volt better. Probably in a few years the Ampera will go on sale in the US as a Buick model.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I converted my TSX into a Euro Accord. Would love to do similar to the Volt. With overseas parts suppliers selling oem panels, regardless of the red tape with for foreign auto parts. I believe the taillights are the same, and possibly the headlights. Not sure on the lights though. Front fascia and grille also shouldn't be a problem.

Paint to match, and good to go. I just gotta buy the car first.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would bet that a form of the Ampera will come to the US as a Buick "Electra". A great use for that famous old name. Personally, I like the looks of the Volt better. To each his own eh?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The more I look at the Ampera and the more I think about why I want a Volt, the more I want to convert my ordered Volt to am Ampera asap. The Volt really doesn't make economic sense, nor am I convinced it's better for the environment based on the mining for the battery and disposal, so if I am honest about it, I want the car for its uniqueness and technology.

Getting rid of the Chevy badges and having a more striking and unique looking vehicle is just the ticket.

The cost of buying the bumpers can be recouped when it comes time to sell the car, so it's not a financially big deal.

So now it's down to logistics.

That looks hard. The U.K. Ampera site said it will not go on sale until 2012. So parts availability could take a year. And then how do you get the parts here without paying a fortune?

Any ideas from past experiences? Or do you know where they discuss such things?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Volt looks much better as I see it. It's definitely Chevy, a fantastic styling job. I've got 1400 miles on mine in 4.5 weeks, used 3 gal of gas.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, come to think of it, I think GM might be kind of testing the waters with this idea with the Volt Z-Spec concept they showed at last year's SEMA show. Basically, the rear end of the Ampera with the Volt nose:

·
Registered
104 Posts
That looks hard. The U.K. Ampera site said it will not go on sale until 2012. So parts availability could take a year. And then how do you get the parts here without paying a fortune?
The Ampera shall be on sale by the end of 2011 on most countries of continental Europe.
Maybe GM will propose Z-spec parts sooner in the US.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts