GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has the optional ambient lighting package (footwell + cupholder) installed on their Premier. I have read that this option lets you select a bunch of different colours for the lights.

Since the Premier also has the blue light strips in the front doors that comes standard, I was wondering if changing the color of this optional ambient lighting package will also change the color of the strips in the doors to match the footwell and cupholder lights? Or will these stay blue and the color selection only affect the footwell and cupholder lights?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I have a 2017 Premier and have never observed the ambient lighting in any other color than deep blue. I owned a Ford Fusion that did have ambient lighting that could change color. It always left me puzzled why they could put ambient lighting in the cabin but could not be bothered to put a light in the glove box. Same goes for the Volt, there should be a light in the glove box.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a 2017 with the ambient lighting option. I'm pretty sure it allows you to change the color of the lighting in the door strips/footwells/cupholders, etc... You can cycle through a number of colors and settle on the one you want. Personally, I like the blue so that's where I leave it but I can change it if desired.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I self-installed the lighting package on my 2018. BTW - Getting it factory-installed is preferable. The install is very involved. I would NOT let a dealer install this option! (They will screw up/break the interior panels. There is also some very intricate electrical work that involves special crimping under magnification. It is NOT plug-and-play!)

The "package" sounds a lot more grandiose than it really is. The kit actually only includes 4 physical LED's. 2 for the foot wells and 2 for the cupholders. Those four LED's are the only ones that change color. (I forget the brand name, but GM doesn't make the kit. The wires are stuck to the interior structure with tape and just run loosely behind the carpet. There are ZERO allowances engineered into the car for this kit.)

The changing colors make the interior look like a clown car so, like dannycamps, I keep mine at blue, but if you ever drop something in the footwells, turning the lights to white is nice if you have to search down there.

One pain is that the lights protrude in the cup holders and have lenses that stick out. So, one has to be careful when putting hard mugs in the holders!

If I were to do it all over again, (especially given that GM doesn't make the kit and these other points) I think I would:
- Just get an aftermarket blue foot well light kit of any type
- Put a flashlight in the globe box if I ever need to search around the foot wells
- Skip the cup holder lights

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I have a 2017 with the ambient lighting option. I'm pretty sure it allows you to change the color of the lighting in the door strips/footwells/cupholders, etc... You can cycle through a number of colors and settle on the one you want. Personally, I like the blue so that's where I leave it but I can change it if desired.
Where is the button located that will change the color of the ambient lighting?

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's on the switch plate where the dial for the interior light brightness is. They put a new plate in with a third switch which controls the ambient lighting color selection.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
It's on the switch plate where the dial for the interior light brightness is. They put a new plate in with a third switch which controls the ambient lighting color selection.
Do you mean on the left side of the dash, next to the steering wheel where the control for the headlights are located. The rotary dial pops out and you can adjust the brightness of the driver information console. If that is not what you meant then I am lost.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do you mean on the left side of the dash, next to the steering wheel where the control for the headlights are located. The rotary dial pops out and you can adjust the brightness of the driver information console. If that is not what you meant then I am lost.
Yes that's what I mean. With the ambient lighting option, there is a third button (closest to the steering wheel) that when held will cycle through the colors and you release it when it's on the color you want.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There is also some very intricate electrical work that involves special crimping under magnification. It is NOT plug-and-play!)
When the kit is installed, the lighting control console comes out, is thrown away, and an entirely new one (with the third button) needs to be installed.

As a part of this process, the installer needs to do some really intricate electrical work, splicing some wires and rebuilding the harness connectors that go into the control. (To integrate the control wires from the lighting kit.)

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Yes that's what I mean. With the ambient lighting option, there is a third button (closest to the steering wheel) that when held will cycle through the colors and you release it when it's on the color you want.
On my 2017 Volt Premier, purchased July 2016, there are only two buttons (w/rotary controls) on the control panel located to the left of the steering wheel. There is space for a third control but my Volt only has two. Maybe I don't have the ambient lighting option in my Volt. I will have to check the next time I am driving after dark. I know that my Volt does have blue accent lights in the front door panels, not sure about other interior lighting. [Update: I checked and my 2017 Volt does not have the ambient lighting installed.]

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was wondering if changing the color of this optional ambient lighting package will also change the color of the strips in the doors to match the footwell and cupholder lights? Or will these stay blue and the color selection only affect the footwell and cupholder lights?
I physically verified on my car last night and, indeed, only the four LED's in the kit (2 in the cupholders and 2 in the foot wells) change color. Everything else stays blue.

I double down on my recommendation - buying a simple splice-in aftermarket kit to just give 2 blue LED's in the footwells would be just as good, much more cost effective, and would be an easier install.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I considered the ambient lighting option bit decided it wasn't worth $500. As I understand it, LPO is dealer installed

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got a $750 accessory credit from GM after I had my car in to have my ACC repaired 10 times. With the certificate I got the Ambient lighting kit, sport pedals and Lighted charge port. They were all easy to install just time consuming. I would not recommend the install for anyone without intermediate automotive electrical skill and the proper tools to remove the interior parts. It took me about 5 hours to install the Ambient light kit taking my time and consuming a few beers in the process.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It took me about 5 hours to install the Ambient light kit taking my time and consuming a few beers in the process.
Can you imagine what a dealer would have done to your car's wiring and interior panels if they had done the install for you and ripped everything out to complete the job in 1 hour?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got a '17 with the ambient lighting from the dealer....I just noticed that one of the led lights in one cup holder is out....wondering if it's worth even mentioning since it's all still under warranty?....but hardly worth the effort for one stupid little LED?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've got a '17 with the ambient lighting from the dealer....I just noticed that one of the led lights in one cup holder is out....wondering if it's worth even mentioning since it's all still under warranty?....but hardly worth the effort for one stupid little LED?
That would annoy me so I'd bring it in for that especially if still under warranty. Most likely a bulb but you never know and it might be a wiring issue.

·
Registered
561 Posts
+1 The bulb could have simply popped out of the lens. Regardless - you'd want to take care of it, particularly if the warranty will address it. Why accept a $100 or $200 deduction for something like that when you go to sell the car?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts