GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

The last two days, my charge light has gone to amber after (or while?) preconditioning. Yesterday, I came out to my car with the amber light on. Today, it preconditioned and light was blinking green. Then, when I opened the rear hatch door, it went to amber color (solid). In both cases, there doesn't seem like much preconditioning has happened; the windows are still frosted. However, I have a full charge. This hasn't happened before. Using the L1 charger with my 2013 at 12a. Unplugging and then replugging it in allowed it to charge normally.

Anyhow, I thought I'd check in with you prior to calling my Volt advisor. Any ideas as to what's going on?

·
8,680 Posts
Depends on the preconditioning, sometimes you will consume more power than what the wall can provide. In those cases you often notice the light shift over to amber, and it needs to charge the battery after the conditioning is complete. This is pretty normal
Hmm. Every time my (2012) Volt has been plugged and preconditioning, when I came out it shows the hard constant green of active charging. I'm almost always on 220, but I'm pretty sure it was the same on 110.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. Every time my (2012) Volt has been plugged and preconditioning, when I came out it shows the hard constant green of active charging. I'm almost always on 220, but I'm pretty sure it was the same on 110.

Yes, this how I remember it being. also, in those cases, air was blowing... so, definitely more power used when it wouldn't go amber. In this case, doesn't seem like much was happening. so, less power used. Is there an actual setting to choose the exact preconditioning settings?

·
8,680 Posts
Try another outlet? I'm thinking the Volt decided it didn't like the power it was getting - maybe the voltage dropped below spec when the car hit it with a peak load during preconditioning?

·
Registered
42 Posts
A few times on my volt has gone to orange while or after preconditioning. Which is annoying cause it should be charging so I'm losing my range. Though it hasn't happen after I did the most recent software update.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try another outlet? I'm thinking the Volt decided it didn't like the power it was getting - maybe the voltage dropped below spec when the car hit it with a peak load during preconditioning?
It's been on the same outlet as when it was working. I also checked it, and it doesn't feel warm at all during charging. The only difference is that I unplugged the EVSE for a few hours over the weekend thinking I would use it somewhere else, but I didn't. So, it went right back in after I got home.

A few times on my volt has gone to orange while or after preconditioning. Which is annoying cause it should be charging so I'm losing my range. Though it hasn't happen after I did the most recent software update.
When did you get your software update? I'm assuming that you are also on a 2013?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, I have a MY13. I got the software update last December.
I'm wondering now if I need this software update. This morning at 7:15, I went to start the preconditioning. The green light was blinking (EVSE also green light). It went through the cycle, recharged, and light was blinking (this was around 7:50 that I saw this.) At 8:15, I go to put stuff in the trunk; the light is off and when I opened up the trunk, the light went to Amber. The EVSE still has a green light.

I go to the charge handle and just press the release button --- I did not push it in or out. When I release the button, the solid green charging light goes on. At 8:30, I get into my car. Normally, it would tell me what time the charge would be done, except this time it just showed "--:--". I hope this is a software bug and nothing more serious.

Sounds to me like it has a full charge, discharges some for the preconditioning, starts to recharge, but then flips out and turns off when it can't charge any more. I tried to replicate this last night with 5 miles left on the charge, but I guess I didn't let it sit long enough.

Pictures attached. (And yes, I intentionally have the language set to Spanish.) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, I have a MY13. I got the software update last December.

thoness, I'm actually taking my car and EVSE in on Saturday to have this checked out. I have an objective to NOT leave my car there overnight. So, would it be possible for you to share the exact update (number, reference code, description)? Any information from your service report (or bulletin) would be extremely helpful in ensuring a quick turnaround.

Thank you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped off my car, and now I'm at the mercy of GM who can't send the parts for a whole week. (That's not even including the time for labor.) I'm driving an Impala until then. I've called my Volt adviser about this, but at this point, I can no longer recommend the Volt simply because GM does not have their act together in terms of resolution/ turnaround time.

Parts to be replaced: receptacle, charger, and junction box. Those don't mean much to me, but it may make more sense to you guys. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a callback. I can pick up my car; they got the crucial part for the fix, but would like me to come back to finish it up once I the remaining parts come in. Some good news, and I certainly hope it was GM realizing what was going on here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts