GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AmazingE is a level 2 charger that's been around for just a little over a year. But there hasn't been much advertising so most people haven't heard about them.

Available at www.amazing-e.com currently for 219.00 + about 10.00 shipping
According to reviews, made in the US by Delphi and has a ClipperCreek circuit board
Reviews say it looks exactly like the 2016-2018 OEM Volt chargers but only does 240v
Servicing by ClipperCreek
UL listed
16a 3.8Kw 14-30 plug, requires a 30a circuit

I shopped around and found this to be the best L2 charger by far for my 2014 Volt. Bought it last week from their website. Ran a new circuit to my garage and started charging tests yesterday.

After running my Volt totally out of battery, then on gas for 20 miles, this charged it completely in a little under 4 hours.

Dousida is the only other charger in this price range I've found (as low as 185.00 on Amazon), BUT made in China and warranty service where? Says UL listed but recent reviews say no. I've seen a picture of a UR label on the charge plug but no picture or info from a UL label.

I was initially thinking of buying the Dousida, but then found the AmazingE. Made in the US, serviced in the US, UL listed and only 34.00 more.

I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
AmazingE is a level 2 charger that's been around for just a little over a year. But there hasn't been much advertising so most people haven't heard about them.

Available at www.amazing-e.com currently for 219.00 + about 10.00 shipping
According to reviews, made in the US by Delphi and has a ClipperCreek circuit board
Reviews say it looks exactly like the 2016-2018 OEM Volt chargers but only does 240v
Servicing by ClipperCreek
UL listed
16a 3.8Kw 14-30 plug, requires a 30a circuit
The AmazingE is an excellent EVSE, but it only comes with a 6 month warranty. There is a video on YouTube where a guy hooks his AmazingE to 120 volts and it works perfectly well.

I went with a Duosida for $199 from Amazon, and it is perfect. Came with an adapter cable that allows it to plug into 120 or 240. And it has a 1-year warranty. I leave it plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know the Dousida works on 120 and 240v. That's great. And I've seen them on ebay for as little as 149.00.

But I'm still leery of Chinese electrical stuff rated for outdoor usage that doesn't have a UL listing. duosidaevchargers.com says theirs are UL listed, but searching the UL Certification database I find no listing for Duosida. And there is no phone number or address on their website. All I've seen is a UR Component mark on their J1772 plug.

The AmazingE does have an 18 month warranty, parts and labor. From the website and manual. Don't know when/if they changed it. There is a phone number on their website. They have their UL Certification number, and the packing slip says it ships from ClipperCreek Inc. So a good manufacturer. AND its priced 150.00 cheaper than the cheapest L2 charger on ClipperCreeks website.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Is AmazingE Clipper Creeks bargain brand or are they a separate company? It sound like they are using ClipperCreek components and ClipperCreek support which is strange unless they are really just a subsidiary of CC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their website doesn't say, but the packing slip for the charger says:
ClipperCreek Inc.
11850 Kemper Road Suite #E
Auburn, CA 95603
v: 530.887.1674

Which is the address and phone for ClipperCreek. So they must be affiliated.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I bought two of the dousida units before the amazingE came out. If the amazing had been out at the time I would’ve absolutely bought it.

I had to have one of mine returned and replaced free under warranty about nine months in, the other has been fine for two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Interesting.. I just ordered the CC LCS-20 and I got the saleman to throw in a T shirt.. This almost seems like it would have been worth a shot.

I like how they advertise the warranty as "3 Half Years Warranty" instead of a year and a half...

·
Registered
568 Posts
What happens when a defective Dousida fails?
It fails to charge the car
Compared to the amazingE, I wouldn't mind the flexibility of 120/220, but I also don't want to burn down the barn.
Your project for the day/week/month/year - Get on-line and find us an example where ANY brand of EVSE has ever burned down ANY building. The concept of charging using EVSE's between the car and the wall outlet was specifically engineered to make fires virtually impossible

Don

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
As Don said when the duosida failed it just threw off error lights and would no longer charge. The external cords on them are actually much more robust than my original clipper creek 120 only unit. The original other duosida and the second unit’s replacement have both been going strong now for a long while. As I said though if the Amazing E was out then I would have bought them instead. I think the issue is quality control not safety. With that said they sent me a new unit no charge and let me keep the old unit which I had made into a J extender cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks very much marcusm, like many newbies I have an irrational fear of electrical dangers fueled by a lack of knowledge, an old home I rent which was wired by someone's drunk uncle, and living in an extreme fire danger neighborhood.

Unrelated but just to add context: My father inlaw's next-door neighbor lost his house to a fire a few years back. It happened shortly after he brought home his 2nd BEV, fire started in the garage. Investigation was inconclusive but pointed to faulty wiring and combustable material in the garage.

Anyhow, thanks again for the explanation. I'll try to keep my nonsense to a minimum :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I looked at this one and it looks the same as my OEM Volt EVSE.. both made by clipper creek..
I'm thinking they may be the same.. would like to see inside it..

CONFIRMED. YES both the OEM volt and the AmazingE are the same clipper creek board on the inside. See Video's in next 2 posts

Video's show a Ver 4 on the volt and a Ver 5 on the AmazingE but I think one is just newer then the other.. same thing..

Electronic device Technology Hardware programmer Electronics accessory Battery charger

·
Registered
907 Posts
@Caffeine1
One other point about the OE GM 2016+ EVSE vs AmazingE is that the OE have only 16awg wire, since they're only rated for 12A. AmazingE has 14awg for 16A. Although the older 2013/2014 CC OE Volt EVSEs are also 14awg.

I also recently picked up a AmazingE for dual 120/240V travel use. Also noted the no use of neutral, so I already cut of the N prong on the 14-30 plug. Interesting about not working at 120V for you. I was literally going to try that tonight. Must be sensing the lack of the second phase. I know CC uses different firmware for the boards. I will look further. There may be some jumper settings to fake out....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well, shoot. Same here. Red LED flashing 5 times and repeat, error code on 120V.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yep, I have the 120V OE model too, so I compared the signals on the micro-controller last night. They have different PCBs, but suspect that may only be due to rev, not inherently designed differently for 120V vs 240V. There is one very interesting diode (D13) difference between the two, but without schematics, kind of tricky to know what it does. Tried removing it, like OE 120V model, but made no matter for the AE on 120V. There are jumpers for setting Pilot. I've changed these on the OE model, but not the AE model yet. And the firmware is different. Unfortunately, didn't hit the right combination, to let it work at 120V.

Not sure I'll get back to this. Bought a 2019 Volt yesterday. Now I'll need that compact cable for 120V/240V up to 32A! I almost feel like just buying the Tesla mobile cord. $300, and I already have the JDapter. So now garage cleaning may have priority over these silly cords :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts