GM Volt Forum banner

Amazing Australian Volt day for my Holden Volt

6265 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Aussie Pete
Finally ......
After 2 Years, 3 months and 4 days (Who's counting:rolleyes:) my Volt finally met another Volt on Stud Road Knox a Red one.

Not only that after the turn on Burwood Hwy we drove side by side, managed a couple of waves back to the driver and a pedestrian toot.:cool:

If your in America you will never understand how special today was - as here the Volts are a very rare indeed.
To have two side by side on the road is truly a Kodak moment.
Also Drove past my purchasing dealer tonight - which out of my way on an errand tonight and the Volt brand on the GM dealer pillar has gone. :(

To those fellow Australians reading this and didn't get one, you have missed out on a truly amazing EV ride - plus excellent fuel economy when used as city car eg. still get 0.5L /100km, 0.6L/100km lifetime.
Insurance is better when compared to the Leaf or BMW, So Volt drivers must be safer drivers:D

What other affordably Australian retail car can you buy that has all the benefits of an EV - but without limitations?
Only the Volt, the BMW is not good as the Volt in EREV mode especially.

Very disappointed in fellow Australians for not purchasing many more examples of this brilliant product.
I still don't think price and interior space was that much of a factor as many have bought outdated European branded cars with underpowered engines and those have small claustrophobic interiors compared to the Volt.

Very happy with my Volt :)
GM was of to good start in Australia, but I'm afraid all the hard work and education on Australians will pay off down the line to it's competitors - unless they have a plan.
Time will tell.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not completely - It was 65K AUD fully loaded in one trim level similar to Low end Merc / BMW / Volvo or low end full size Japanese SUV.

Our Australian prices are crazy compared to the states and coupled with the fact our government offers NO incentives for purchasing an EV or EREV.

The Australian dollar is now near 30% lower than it was - great for manufactures to export - but GM, Ford and Toyota are closing the Australian car industry by 2017.
GM never did get HOLDEN who designed up excellent rear wheel drive cars, they should have left them to it and used them as a niche export model manufacture, now it's going to cost them 2B to wind it up and in the long term they have handed the market share to the competition. Ford also had the worst decline in sales ever, Hyundai now sell more cars in Australia than Ford does.

Biggest market losers in the Australian market in the near term will be Ford and GM, Toyota - people always buy Toyota or Mazda regardless. The once loyal Australians are now motivated are now likely to cross shop and buy else where .... Mercedes sales have sky rocketed with the recent motoring award they won locally.

I don't know what will GM do EV wise in Australia after the fall out of the Volt, the way the whole thing played out with dealers.
Plus the now unfavourable exchange rate.
Mitsubishi Australia has a hard time getting their dealers to sign up for the plug in outlander as the dealers are all pointing at GM and the Volt Australian experience.

I find this all to frustrating to read and watch, when compared to other markets around the world where people have REALLY EMBRACED EV's and are receiving the benefits as owners.

Interestingly people don't view the Volt as a rich persons car, poor person who buys a cheap Merc here seems to be the one copping all the flack and innuendoes of being wealth with money to burn or give away (Reality most Merc owners do not after spending 2K a year on dealer serving LOL!)
People who buy a locally produced performance Holden V8 HSV just get envy or distain - not the wealth thing and if stands out a key scratch magnet by some young knob who is jealous they can't have one of their own.

· Registered
2,715 Posts
I think Holden designed the Bolt, which shows they must be out front on the design end. Flexible (skateboard?) platforms with the pack under the cabin are going to be the shape of BEV's for the next several years at least.

· Registered
105 Posts
Funny I hardly saw any Volts in Brisbane and then the last week I had my car I saw four of them. Look out for my black Volt should be popping up via Pickles Auctions soon (writing this on 07April2015) has extras like sill plates, colour coded bumpers/skirts, and venture shield stone protection all round.

· Registered
105 Posts
I'd like to live in Austrialia and will bring my Volt if you get my citizenship and a rich, pretty Aussie wife. Then we can hang.
All us Aussies hope you'll take the Aussie women, they need it since we're shopping in Asia LOL. You can also get an easier Visa to work and live here via our Free Trade Agreement. For Aussies we use the E3 visa into the USA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts