GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
The 40 amps won't help you for the Volt. Its max charge rate is 3300 watts (16 A @ 240 V). Also, you need to put the SPX Voltec unit on a 2-pole 20 A circuit breaker.

·
Registered
97 Posts
True. But I'm sure that, for many, installing a charging station capable of more current could be useful for future cars , be they PHEV or all electric. The Focus Electric , for example, apparently has a 6KW charger. If you're going to go to the expense of wiring and installing a charger, best to do it once and future proof it. Even if you choose to go with the Voltec charger for now, by making sure the wires are appropriate gauge and the panel has enough capacity, one could provide for a future charger upgrade without having to re-do everything. It could be done by swapping out the charger and the breaker.

·
Registered
90 Posts
FYI, I ordered one of these on Dec 3, 2010 right after reading Airton's post. Last email from EV-Charge America is that it will not be shipped until the end of January.

Jim K.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply.
My EV-Charge America EV2104 will not charge my Volt, the manufacturer is aware of this and they plan on shipping a replacement on 1/24/11. The unit does power up but it will not communicate with the car to commence charging. This EVSE is installed outside of my garage and I did purchase the Voltec unit for the inside of the garage. Let's give them another chance to get things right.

Airton

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have heard that the 120VAC charger takes approximately 11 hours to fully charge a depleted battery pack. In that time, one spends approximately 13.5 KW to put approximately 9.5 KW back into the battery. I assume the difference between the 9.5 and the 13.5 is due to inefficiencies and possibly some battery heating and cooling, or overhead if that term fits. I wonder what the 240 VAC charger can do to this overhead. If heating or cooling the battery while charging for 11 hours is the 120 VAC specification, I wonder what cutting back to 4 hours charging time for 220 VAC would do. Do any of you that have the 220 VAC charger have a number to describe this overhead?

Skeezix

·
Registered
66 Posts
(Buying from outside of our Market - DFW doesn't go on line with Volt Sales until about March or April)
It doesn't matter if you are in one of the roll out markets. I live in Vegas, purchased my Volt in Los Angeles. I called SPX and ordered my Voltec charger and they shipped it to my Las Vegas address. As long as you purchase a Volt, they will sell it to you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
EV Charge America's EV2104 Charging Station Update

My replacement EV2104 unit has shipped and is due to arrive here in NJ on Wednesday, I also received this nice email below from the company's president Bob Rosinski. I will keep you posted on the install and functionality of the new unit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Airton,
Attached is a picture from a Southern California Dealership that has 2 of the first Volts in California that are both simultaneously charging from one of our commercial Dual Vehicle charging stations, demonstrating that our technology works well and is being deployed around the country, now in a big way.
I just wanted to personally thank you for waiting all this time for us to ship you a new unit and bearing with us for a much longer time than any of us anticipated.
Please return the first unit to us, we'll certainly pay you for the shipping, plus $50 for your trouble.
For being such a good sport and not going negative about us, if you ever plan a trip to Vegas, we'll make some Las Vegas style arrangements to show our gratitude to you.
Thanks again and let us know when the new unit gets to you and when you have it working.
<<...>>
Best regards,
Bob Rosinski
President
EV-Charge America
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

My replacement EV2104 unit has shipped and is due to arrive here in NJ on Wednesday, I also received this nice email below from the company's president Bob Rosinski. I will keep you posted on the install and functionality of the new unit.

Dear Airton,
Attached is a picture from a Southern California Dealership that has 2 of the first Volts in California that are both simultaneously charging from one of our commercial Dual Vehicle charging stations, demonstrating that our technology works well and is being deployed around the country, now in a big way.
I just wanted to personally thank you for waiting all this time for us to ship you a new unit and bearing with us for a much longer time than any of us anticipated.
Please return the first unit to us, we'll certainly pay you for the shipping, plus $50 for your trouble.
For being such a good sport and not going negative about us, if you ever plan a trip to Vegas, we'll make some Las Vegas style arrangements to show our gratitude to you.
Thanks again and let us know when the new unit gets to you and when you have it working.
<<...>>
Best regards,
Bob Rosinski
President
EV-Charge America
That's really great, let us know if you get that Las Vegas treatment down the road!

Much better than what I took to be Coulomb's reaction to the 240V charger problems I've had (with GFCI being set), which was basically to point the finger at the Volt as the problem. Still haven't determined if they were correct, as more diagnosis is slated to occur this coming week. But my money is on the charger as the problem.

OTOH, SPX has already said that they will replace the charger under warranty if necessary, and not necessarily with another Coulomb.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm just trying to understand...is there some advantage to this charger over the Voltec? Looks like it sells for $160 more than the Voltec.

·
1,308 Posts
I have heard that the 120VAC charger takes approximately 11 hours to fully charge a depleted battery pack. In that time, one spends approximately 13.5 KW to put approximately 9.5 KW back into the battery. I assume the difference between the 9.5 and the 13.5 is due to inefficiencies.....
Skeezix
GM has said they use approximately 65% of a 16 kWh battery in the Volt so that would work out to more like 10.4 kWh than 9.5. I haven't heard of anyone actually measuring the Watt hours drawn from the battery in an actual vehicle yet in order to verify that. Likewise, I have not yet seen carefully measured energy use when charging the Volt battery at 240V. The EPA reports 12.9 kWh for charging the battery but I don't know the details behind how that number was measured. I have measured around 13.5 kWh using a Watts Up meter at 120V myself a few times but not carefully enough to account for different variations like ambient temperature etc.

There is a Tesla owner that measured the overhead of charging at different amperage using 240V. He found that charging at around 40A was most efficient and that lower rates like 15-20A could be 10-20% less efficient. He assumed this was due to constant overhead from the charging system, battery cooling, etc being operated for longer periods of time at lower charging rates. Similar issues may apply to the Volt.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My EV-Charge America's EV2104 has been Replaced and is working flawlessly

I received my replacement EVSE from EV-Charge America (in bomb proof packaging this time) did the install and presto she works like a charm. I now have the Voltec charger in the garage and the EV2104 "Char[email protected]" outside on the side of the house. We have two cars so I hope to replace our gas guzzler with a second EV within the next few years (hopefully something that can take advantage of the 30a service this unit offers). So far I have charged my Volt twice without and issues and I must say I like the RFID key authentication feature, just a quick pass of the RFID key (attached to my volt's key fob) in front of the unit and it's ready to charge. This just adds another layer of protection/security, I think this is a good thing being that the unit is outside.
This charger itself is powder coated steel construction (it's heavy and solid) the J1772 connector is plastic (like the Voltec unit) but has a metal latching system (unlike the Voltec) seems like it's built to last.

I believe this unit will offer the best bang for the buck out there right now.
Airton

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
airton,

Many thanks for this. I think it's the best option I've seen. I ordered one yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does this mean they've put real electronics in it now that delivers the required pilot signal?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts