GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Volt owner here. Just got a 2012 and am looking to get information on fixing a possible stator/bearing issue.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
What more can you do but take it to the local dealer?
Is there more than one on your island?

It may, or may not, require special tools. A service manual would talk about that.

If you don't have solar at your home, you are living where electric costs are very high and an EV is not always as cheap to drive.

·
8,680 Posts
Congrats!! Welcome. There are a bunch of threads on that topic. The gist is that the cage for the bearing isn't up to the task if it isn't installed perfectly, and cars will make a scroll saw sound when slowing down if it fails. There shouldn't be damage to the rotor or stator from the failure of it is replaced in a reasonable periods.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We just returned to Texas after spending about 2-1/2 months in Kailua (getting my late father's house cleaned out and on the market). There was a red Gen 1 Volt a few houses up the street that was charging from Solar panels on the roof.

You will find plenty of information on that stator bearing issue by searching the forums here. I think it should still be covered by the 8-year 100k mile Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What more can you do but take it to the local dealer?
Is there more than one on your island?

It may, or may not, require special tools. A service manual would talk about that.

If you don't have solar at your home, you are living where electric costs are very high and an EV is not always as cheap to drive.
I have an appointment with the dealer but I want to make sure I show up armed with all the data in case they say "not covered by voltec warranty" This is my first Chevy in about 20 years so I don't know how the dealers are here.

Gas is super expensive here but where I really make out is that I work at the airport and parking in the airport lot is free for EV! Otherwise I have to pay $18/day or take a daily shuttle to my employee lot which can waste 30 minutes each time I drive to or from work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum! We just returned to Texas after spending about 2-1/2 months in Kailua (getting my late father's house cleaned out and on the market). There was a red Gen 1 Volt a few houses up the street that was charging from Solar panels on the roof.

You will find plenty of information on that stator bearing issue by searching the forums here. I think it should still be covered by the 8-year 100k mile Voltec warranty.
Yes I'm only at 80k so I think it's still covered. What part of Kailua were you at? I live over by Kalamas

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
So true.. we compete with San Fran and NYC for cost of living! If it wasn't for costco and amazon I'd go broke
As an AMZN stock holder I appreciate that remark.

I really should look into a Costco membership. There just aren't any close to the house. :(

·
Registered
534 Posts
..What part of Kailua were you at? I live over by Kalamas
We were in the area between Lanikai elementary school and the mid-pac golf course. There are several dead-end cul de sacs back there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts