GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 1 generation Volt soon. My preference is to find a vehicle with less than 25K in the Los Angeles area for the least $. This will be my 1st PHEV. I am so excited looking at dealer inventory stock at Carmax and Keyes. I am currently driving a gas guzzler that needs to be retired ASAP. :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
To find a Gen 1 vehicle with less than 25K miles on it may be rather difficult. I wouldn't get your hopes up in that mileage regard...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Besides looking locally I'd suggest trying out Carvana as well, my understanding is they pick up a fair amount of their Volts from Auctions (due to the lack of lease buyouts), most that I've seen have been in the 15-35k mileage range
They also will buy your trade-in for a listed KBB price, assuming you don't lie about anything (wasn't in an accident when it was, etc.)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
My 2015 had less than 32,000 miles on it and most of the other Gen 1's I looked at had more than that. You might get lucky and find a 2015 with only 25,000 miles, but it might take a lot of searching...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on mileage (it's not an ice car where mileage is more important). At any given mileage the ICE would only be run a fraction of that (that's why the cars are bought in the first place). The electronics/battery don't wear out with mileage like an ICE car and the brakes usually last for the life of the car (my 5 year old 60,000 mile car has 80% and 90% left). Low mileage cars usually have higher asking prices (similar to ICE cars) with little reason in return for it. It's a state of mind. I would concentrate more on getting the nicest car you want for the best price with mileage being a minor rather than major issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you tried looking for gen 2s? They are just now coming off leases with low miles and in my opinion offer so much more than gen 1s. For example, the battery pack is larger so you can do almost all your daily driving on electric and only use gas for long trips.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on mileage (it's not an ice car where mileage is more important). At any given mileage the ICE would only be run a fraction of that (that's why the cars are bought in the first place).
And the lifetime MPG figure (See manual for what year you're looking at to find it) will tell you pretty well how big a fraction it is. 40s is mostly gas miles, 120s is about 1/4th gas miles, 200s is "engine may as well be new".

·
Registered
568 Posts
Really low mileage cars are out there, but they usually command a premium price, sell quickly and they may not be local to you - Broaden your search and be ready to travel when you find the 'right' car

Don

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've used Autotrader.com to search for vehicles multiple times ... because I agree with Don M, be ready to travel. Traveled from Colorado to Pennsylvania to get a 2005 1-owner GMC Envoy XL with only 56k miles! Traveled to Columbus, Indiana to get my 2018 Volt. It's cheaper to travel for a good deal, as long as the deal IS good enough to make up for the difference in costs vs. cost of vehicle. When you can get a car for over 3k less than locally, I'll make that trip every time!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have a 2014 with 52,000 miles . It has original tires and a few scratches . Do you think $9,000 is a fair price ?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have a 2014 with 52,000 miles . It has original tires and a few scratches . Do you think $9,000 is a fair price ?
That would be a super price! Just checking Carmax, they have several 2014's listed:

88K miles-$13,998
79K miles-$14,998
77K miles-$12,998
70K miles-$13,998

1 - 13 of 13 Posts