GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Beginning RANT]
I don’t normally lease cars, but in 2013, I was unsure of electric vehicles and the technology was still evolving so we leased.

So end of march we returned our 2013 lease with Ally and bought a 2017, being now convinced that this is the best electric car you can own when it is your only car, and that it will be the case for years to come as no one is really jumping on EREV, and it will be a long time before a pure EV will be as easy to use on road trip as ICE cars.

Anyway, our 2013 was in perfect conditions, there was only a couple of very small scratches on the hatch, all under the Ally limit. The only real scratches we had were on the wheel rims. I cleaned the car and spend two hours getting everything pristine, even polished areas that had surface scratches like door handles so they would look like new.

Having heard about problems with inspection done when you are not around, I tried hard to get an inspection appointment where I could be here, but got the runaround from Ally and the dealer, so I had to leave the car at the dealer and let the inspection happen without me.

I did take tons of pictures of the outside and inside of the car as well as video to be on the safe side.

A few weeks later, I get the inspection report, and the guy had a number of minor scratches under the limit, but supposedly found two large enough to be charged in places where I knew there was nothing. The pictures on the report where useless as totally blurry. Interestingly enough he had nothing to say about the rim.
I was pissed on principle, but the excess wear charges amounted to $290 and given I had taken the Smart Lease Protect Agreement, that amount was covered, so I decided not to waste my time arguing with them.

Several weeks later, I receive Ally Account settlement, and guess what they were asking me to pay the $290 excess wear charges in addition with the last month lease payment (which was normal as we returned it a month early )….

So I make a nice letter, explaining that they obviously forgot to take into account my Smart Lease Protect Agreement and making a check for only the last monthly payment due.

I don’t receive any letter, but a few weeks later, I see they cached my check so I think all is good. Then I receive a letter saying I still owe the whole amount, Excess wear and last month….

So I call, and now the excuse is OH, but the Smart lease protect agreement does not cover accident repair ???? WTF the car was never into any accident, not mentioning the excess wear scratches did not exist. So the woman tells me I need to get a document from my insurance to attest there was no accident.

I am sending them the document (as there never was any accident), but I am Fed-up with companies like Ally (and they are the norm rather than the exception), trying everything they can to screw you, obviously counting on the fact that many people will just pay, either because they won’t pay attention or don’t have the time or the capacity to argue endlessly with them.

This is a nasty practice that seems to be going on with a lot of companies today, from utilities, to hospital, insurance etc…. Basically every time we get a bill, we have to go through it with a comb and then spend hours on the phone straightening things up to correct the “errors” conveniently always to their benefit.
[End of RANT]

Going for a walk now :)

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Sorry about the hassle. It seems like some swear by leases, while others swear at the end of them. I just avoid the hassles and buy. Sadly, your experience reinforces that decision. You may have a point about the errors always seeming to be the side of charging you extra fees and making you jump through hoop after hoop to get it settled.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yeah not just leasing companies. I just got a weird hospital bill that I spent over a month trying to figure out, they kept getting more and more threatening about it until I turned it all over to my lawyer who got a subpoena for a DETAILED billing statement.... suddenly they were all like "oh we're sorry that bill was paid by your insurance already".

Now it's moving into fraud territory <grrrrrrr>.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, and all they have to do is scribble something on a form, and no matter how ridiculous it is, suddenly it becomes an iron-clad debt that will follow you for years and ding your credit rating if you don't pay up.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad to hear you are challenging them. It's hard to believe the extent companies will go to make extra $$$$.

I leased my Leaf and was scared to death of how the return process would go (given how Nissan handled everything else with the car). Luckily I had no issues and was not charged anything upon the final inspection.

The amount of horror stories I've read will steer me clear of leasing in the future.

·
Registered
695 Posts
[Beginning RANT]

I am sending them the document (as there never was any accident), but I am Fed-up with companies like Ally (and they are the norm rather than the exception), trying everything they can to screw you, obviously counting on the fact that many people will just pay, either because they won’t pay attention or don’t have the time or the capacity to argue endlessly with them.

This is a nasty practice that seems to be going on with a lot of companies today, from utilities, to hospital, insurance etc…. Basically every time we get a bill, we have to go through it with a comb and then spend hours on the phone straightening things up to correct the “errors” conveniently always to their benefit.
I agree that this is their internal conspiracy against their own customers.

As you state, many people are too busy or don't have the ability to effectively wage a battle with these companies.

In essence, this is theft. And they have many people on staff to help separate you from your money, and they argue incessantly, even though they know they are wrong. This is their job (wonder how they sleep at night).

Just realize this is the way they game the system, so just keep pushing for justice.

It seems the good point I see is that you haven't paid them. Good work!! It's much easier to stop a claim than to get a refund check.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
AFAIK, GM Financial does all the leases on GM vehicles now. When I turned in the Volt, part of the deal on it's replacement was besides the pull ahead, all fees and penalties on the Volt lease disappear. Not a big deal, salesman looks at car, sees no damage issues and tires within limits and says OK.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love my Ally leased 14 gen 1 Volt and plan to, with the assistance of my dealer buy it at market value which will be about 15k with a 1k profit for the dealer as opposed to the 22k buyout in my lease agreement 1/17. The owner of my dealership felt pretty optimistic that after I make my last payment and Ally is looking at swallowing an even bigger loss if they auction it- they will sell it to him for the wholesale value and then he can retail it to me.

It would be good to see Ally lose approx 5k given their business practices (one of which was to refuse to negotiate the buy out with me directly).

I believe cherry Gen 1 Volts coming off lease are the greatest bargains now in the auto world.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It would be good to see Ally lose approx 5k given their business practices (one of which was to refuse to negotiate the buy out with me directly).
The dagger of vengeance might not strike the intended target. I wouldn't be surprised if GM guaranteed the resid value of the Volt to the leasing companies.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
[Beginning RANT]
I don’t normally lease cars, but in 2013, I was unsure of electric vehicles and the technology was still evolving so we leased.

So end of march we returned our 2013 lease with Ally and bought a 2017, being now convinced that this is the best electric car you can own when it is your only car, and that it will be the case for years to come as no one is really jumping on EREV, and it will be a long time before a pure EV will be as easy to use on road trip as ICE cars.

Anyway, our 2013 was in perfect conditions, there was only a couple of very small scratches on the hatch, all under the Ally limit. The only real scratches we had were on the wheel rims. I cleaned the car and spend two hours getting everything pristine, even polished areas that had surface scratches like door handles so they would look like new.

Having heard about problems with inspection done when you are not around, I tried hard to get an inspection appointment where I could be here, but got the runaround from Ally and the dealer, so I had to leave the car at the dealer and let the inspection happen without me.

I did take tons of pictures of the outside and inside of the car as well as video to be on the safe side.

A few weeks later, I get the inspection report, and the guy had a number of minor scratches under the limit, but supposedly found two large enough to be charged in places where I knew there was nothing. The pictures on the report where useless as totally blurry. Interestingly enough he had nothing to say about the rim.
I was pissed on principle, but the excess wear charges amounted to $290 and given I had taken the Smart Lease Protect Agreement, that amount was covered, so I decided not to waste my time arguing with them.

Several weeks later, I receive Ally Account settlement, and guess what they were asking me to pay the $290 excess wear charges in addition with the last month lease payment (which was normal as we returned it a month early )….

So I make a nice letter, explaining that they obviously forgot to take into account my Smart Lease Protect Agreement and making a check for only the last monthly payment due.

I don’t receive any letter, but a few weeks later, I see they cached my check so I think all is good. Then I receive a letter saying I still owe the whole amount, Excess wear and last month….

So I call, and now the excuse is OH, but the Smart lease protect agreement does not cover accident repair ???? WTF the car was never into any accident, not mentioning the excess wear scratches did not exist. So the woman tells me I need to get a document from my insurance to attest there was no accident.

[End of RANT]

Contact your attorney...they are equipped to deal with these sort of activities...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Isn't Ally the former GMAC?

I totally sympathize with the OP. They bully you into paying them to go away. They figure the $290 is small enough to make you want to avoid the hassle, and hassle it is, but it's all gravy for them. Bloodsucking leeches.

To be fair, I've had good experiences with BMW and Lexus leases, and their captive leasing companies. No surprises. And, my brother has had good experiences with Audi leases, and their captive leasing companies. Apparently they make enough on the lease to not have to gouge you with fake damage. The fees are punitive enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a way to protect yourself from this? If I took a TON of pictures when I turn my car in? A full walk-around video of every part of the car?

If they say "there were scratches", you can just send them dozens of exterior car pictures?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there a way to protect yourself from this? If I took a TON of pictures when I turn my car in? A full walk-around video of every part of the car?

If they say "there were scratches", you can just send them dozens of exterior car pictures?
Given what I saw in their report, you better take close up pictures of every area of the body. I would say Hi res picture of section no bigger than 2 feet by 2 feet getting some part of the body that can identify where the area is...

But even with that, I can imagine the mess it would be trying to argue with them given you are not here at the time of inspection.
The fact they do everything in their power to prevent you from being there says it all. If they would simply let you make an appointment, there would be no argument possible, and they obviously don't want that.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Once you hand over the keys, the car is theirs. If they want to do an inspection on the spot, god bless 'em. Otherwise, any damage is the responsibility of the dealership where you left the car. Read the lease agreement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
rvcckeanmcc :

It is my understanding from my dealer that they are prohibited from selling it to the person that leased the car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello Hello..... too bad you cannot cancel that check for the last months payment. That would be good leverage. They tried to get me for $180, and others. There are other threads. Some people have had good luck with the consumer protection service. There is a federal one and a state one. Suggest you Use both. I am not sure if it was the letters from the consumer protection service or me holding the checks for the last Two months that got ALLY (Oh 'Lovely' Ally)(Note sarcasm) to back down from the $180. I really hope you win. There is a whole in this system as wide as a barn door that the dealer inspection is not the final inspection and we are responsible while the car sits on the lot for up to a week. BS. BS. I would LOVE to see this system challenged. Sign me up.
Not worth paying a lawyer unless you have one on retainer. American Express has a Lawyer service for about $10 bucks a year and they can write a letter. I did not have to go that far.

Leasing made sense for me at the time but these 'nickel and dime" procedures used by big companies has left a bad taste in many. Like Credit card reform.

best of Luck

[Beginning RANT]
I don’t

S
I
[End of RANT]

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't expect any more issues (fingers crossed).
The person I had on the phone said she would close the case when she has the document from the insurance stating there was no accident.
That should not take more than a day or so...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts