GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Voltagra. All Natural Voltec Length Increaser

Have you ever wanted a longer, straighter cord for your SPX 240v Voltec charge unit? Does the coiled cord length embarrass you when you are plugging in?

"My cord used to be all coiled up, I hated it," said StubbyCord. "Now, I'm no longer embarrassed when I plug in my Volt"

What's the secret? Boiling water, leather gloves, uncoiling, smoothing, ice, and patience. YMMV.

Note: I do not vouch for this process nor recommend anyone follow it. Maybe you will mess up your charge station or burn yourself. Who knows? I am simply telling you what I did. If you choose to do this, you are doing so against my advice.

My understanding is that many cords are coiled on a round mandrel when they are hot and pliable and then chilled to set them with a coil memory (though their are other methods). So my thought was to reverse the process.

First I turned off the power to the charge station at the breaker box. Even though the cord is watertight, no need to temp fate and it just seemed the thing to do.

Next I boiled some water in a pot. Once boiling, I carefully took it to the garage and carefully set it on a leather work glove "trivet" I had placed on the concrete floor to insulate the water from the cool concrete.

I then fully immersed about three or four coils into the very hot water.

After 10 minutes, I removed the heated coils, and–wearing thick leather gloves because the cord will be hot–I carefully unwound and pulled the cord straight. I gently reverse curved any obstinate areas.

Finally I ran some ice cubes down the new, longer cord to cool and set it. I then hung it from the charge station as normal. I repeated this process 3 times, each time straightening the cord a little more.

I'll likely put the curl back in as I think it's tidier and the cord still likes to curve a bit, though more water treatments would likely tame that. But I thought those desperate for a straight cord might be interested to see my experiment. Yes, the car still charges as usual.

DSC05227.jpg DSC05229.jpg DSC05230.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have a Clipper Creek (no coiling). LMAO.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
But don't you have to change a Capacitor inside the box now that you changed the resonant frequency of the cable :)

Good post-thanks for adding a new twist to the charger problems.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts