GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Volt, have had it for a year, 26000 miles on it. No problems, runs great, but three times I've come out to find all four windows down! I know they were up when I put it in the garage and plugged it in! The first time it did it, I thought maybe the car thought it was hot inside! It has since done it twice more.... now it's getting strange! Anyone else had this issue?

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Key fob button was accidentally pressed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
This happened with our 2015 Lexus and will happen with other cars including the volt if the unlock fob key is pressed and held. Surprised us a year or so ago on the Lexus while visiting relatives.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I'd take any other keys off the key fob and when at home hang it on a hook. My wife's purse with the weight of other stuff jostling around has done that before. I've done it with another batch of keys in the same pocket as the volt key. The outdoor farm cats loved the new cat perch and were found sitting on the voltshelf.

·
Registered
208 Posts
you slso can remote start your volt by holding down the lock button for about 5 seconds
car will only run for 10 minutes, it is a feature to precool your car with the a/c.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
you slso can remote start your volt by holding down the lock button for about 5 seconds
car will only run for 10 minutes, it is a feature to precool your car with the a/c.
Do you mean press the lock button and hold the remote start button within 5 seconds? That is how my 2012 and most other GM vehicles work.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have a 2013 Volt, have had it for a year, 26000 miles on it. No problems, runs great, but three times I've come out to find all four windows down! I know they were up when I put it in the garage and plugged it in! The first time it did it, I thought maybe the car thought it was hot inside! It has since done it twice more.... now it's getting strange! Anyone else had this issue?
This isn't an issue, it's a feature on the Volt :)
Be careful to not press the button.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I got a plastic key fob cover on eBay that has been effective at preventing that. It would be a problem if it happened in the rain.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The Body Control Module can be programmed to turn this feature off, your local dealership will have to do this. Normal charge for this would be 1 labor hour since you are out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The Body Control Module can be programmed to turn this feature off, your local dealership will have to do this. Normal charge for this would be 1 labor hour since you are out of the bumper to bumper warranty.
Though if you sweet talk them they -might- do it as a courtesy service.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Even if you have the car reprogrammed not to roll down all the windows, it isn't a solution. The same action you accidentally performed before would leave your car unlocked for who knows how long. It won't get wet inside, but it's a problem, depending on what area you park in. You need to change your behavior more than the car's programming. Plastic covers completely solve this problem. I keep my fob in a pocket with nothing else with the buttons toward my leg, so nothing can press the buttons.

Once you have solved the problem, if you want to disable the automatic window down behavior, that's just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Put your Key FOB in a Tic Tac box before you put it in your pocket or purse. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Its a feature. If you press unlock button on the keyfob for 5 seconds, windows roll down. The feature can be turned off only by the dealer in Gen 1, and by the user (with a configuration option) in Gen 2.

The most likely explanation in your case is that something pressed your keyfob while it was in a pocket or purse. If you do not want to disable the feature, but still want to prevent the windows from rolling down inadvertently, get a key fob hard case (search ebay)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm glad this feature can be turned off by the user on the Gen 2. I can't imagine who thought this ##**! feature was a good idea.
Over the 5 years that I have owned my 2012, this has happened four times. After a coworker told me my windows were down and it was raining, I got the dealer to disable this lovely feature. This week I got to clean water out my car again.
I did not realize when the dealer upgrades the software, the windows feature is reactivated.
Thanks for the fob cover advice. I will look around for one.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I can't imagine who thought this ##**! feature was a good idea.
I use it every day in the summer, works beautifully.
2.5 years and counting, never activated it by accident once.
For everyone who thinks its bad, there is one who thinks it's good (and likely many more who didn't RTFM nor accidentally enable it and don't even know it exists)

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Yup. Drop the windows from 30m/yds away and it's down to ambient temperature by the time you open the door, instead of like 50F above.
I love the 4 window drop feature. My only wish was that the car was smarter than me and would drop the windows and turn on the ac as it senses me walking out the office door. More often than not I reach my car then remembered I should have hit the buttons in the key fob.

On the topic of the fob accidentally activating, the only time this happened to me was when I had my fob on a big mess of keys where having that mess in my pocket caused it to be pressed. I now run around with my volt key separate from the rest of my keys I need for work. It works out better that way as I sometimes take my wife's car into work

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
They probably should have made the window down feature a two-button combination like remote start, instead of just one long press. Then no one would have done it accidentally, and everyone would be saying this is one of the best features of the Volt. Like some other things about the Volt, it is bad user interface design. I have never done it accidentally myself, and I use it multiple times every hot summer day. It's easy enough to get a cover, though, and then there is no problem.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It isn't an 'issue', it's user error :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts