·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Never buy a first new model year and unfortunately this is nothing new from FCA

The first year of 500e's kept snapping half shafts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
That's too bad. The article suggests this is a software update but if it were I don't see why Chrysler would need the vans returned to Windsor for that. Would be overkill. Must also involve hardware, and something that would make it more cost effective to cover shipping to Windsor (and back) rather than paying the dealers to do the job. The good news seems to be the 2017 MY is run and the fix should be applied to the 2018 MY.

As far as avoiding the first year of a new model, seems to be model dependent. The 2011 MY Volt may have had the least issues in the first generation. Later years saw a lot of heating issues.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The article showed a picture of a vehicle burning, but offered no facts that suggest the recall is related to a fire risk. Nice sensationalism there.

Information in the comments points to an inverter failure risk with loss of motive power. Glad they are getting it sorted out before more are shipped.

Recalls are a common occurrence and affect most models from every manufacturer, so this is really no big deal.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Terrible write up, it is being recalled for a hardware failure (it needs new software too) with the power inverter that could cause a sudden loss of power. They already have the fix, they just didn't get it in all vehicles. The "months of delay" was why it wasn't shipping until recently. It was supposed to ship back in Dec/Jan. I think going forward there shouldn't be much delay.

However, I will wait until 2018 MY comes out ;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
considering the NHTSA doesn't have any active recalls it cannot have been causing a major issue as of yet. Still the original article is cringe worthy enough to make me never want to go to that site again

·
Administrator
20,192 Posts
Never buy a first new model year
My first year 2011 Volt has been awesome. Over 95k miles and 6 years on, it's still the best car I have owned. I suspect the first year Bolt will be similarly solid. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
CleanTechnica pulled their article?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
We take our Volts for granted, but a serious PHEV design is the most technically challenging of all powertrains. It's why even Toyota and VW, the two largest automakers, just make a feeble attempt at them.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Found this: http://fcauthority.com/2017/06/chrysler-recalls-all-pacifica-hybrids-for-battery-problem/. The diodes that control battery output are faulty. All 1,700 or so of these vehicles will require repair.

Also, perusing consumer complaints at nhtsa.gov indicates the Pacifica (not always the hybrid) seems to have major transmission issues resulting in stalling while driving. So it seems Chrysler still hasn't fixed their transmissions - my wife had a Dodge Intrepid that required the transmission be rebuilt at 38,000 miles because of a known flaw that Chrysler wouldn't warranty.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
678 Posts
No surprise. It's Chrysler! Worst reliability record in the industry...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've also read that, but I can't attest to it myself. Before we went with Chevrolet I drove a Chrysler 300C for 10 years, and my wife drove a Chrysler Town & Country for 15 years. Both were amazing vehicles. No big problems with either of them. The most reliable and problem free vehicles we've ever had.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts