GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Al Yousef buying 50% stake in ZAP's battery product line:

Link

Most notable is Al Yousef separating the battery product line away from the vehicle development group, insisting that the vehicle group focus only on vehicles. This is similar to what happened at Tesla Motors - Eberhard was spending time developing a battery pack for Th!nk, yet the Tesla Roadster delivery date kept slipping and slipping. Eventually, Tesla Motors cancelled their contracts with Th!nk, forcing Th!nk to contract Ener1, and later add A123.

It is so essential to get a development team to focus solely on one product line, in the event that two or more development efforts results in perpetual delivery slips. If Zap is more focused on its vehicles, we should see either rapid development of new or improved vehicles, or an organizational shake-up to bring in those who can achieve the rapid development of new or improved vehicles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not so sure...

This tells me he doesn't believe in the likely success of ZAP's vehicles such that he is separating himself (and his money) to the more successful product. I agree a company should focus on what they do best and see it in to production. However, here, it looks like it is fundamental shift (funding) to the detriment of the vehicles.

On a side note, ZAP should outsource the batteries and/or the vehicles... or maybe one... or boy do I think their products suck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts