GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the air dams under our Volts often scrape pavement when the road is uneven (grade changes, speed bumps, construction, etc.), slowly damaging the dams. I started to wonder why the dam is one seemingly monolithic piece of rubber. What if the air dam had a different material and form to make it a bit more resilient?

I guess I need to figure out what the air dam has to do, first: It has to work as an air dam, of course, pushing along air. It needs resistance from damage from both scrapes and impacts - some sort of balance of hard and soft (I'm sure a materials scientist would know the right terms!). And it'd need a lot of flexibility, but it needs to "remember" its original shape well. Optimally, it should lose function slowly - something that gets worn down more like a wiper blade than the tears I've seen in some other threads. Anything I missed?

My first concept was something brush-like (i.e. a dense forest of soft bristles pointing downwards, like a broom). But there'd need to be some care chosen to find a material that won't permanently deform if the the bristles get bent on something like a parking block, and then the car is parked there for a month or so. I don't think the dam has to be perfectly smooth, but I'm not sure. (And the current air dam doesn't stay very smooth for that long, anyway!)

Any other ideas?

· Registered
18 Posts
Air Dam

Isn't that what is on the car?

· Registered
246 Posts
The air dam is designed to easily bend out of the way when moving forward. Doesn't bend much if you back off a parking block.

There is a part number for a shorter air dam if the current one is not working out for you. Search the older posts.

· Administrator
23,383 Posts
Isn't that what is on the car?

:) I think what AySy88 would like is something that doesn't make a sound when scraped. Although the dam itself seems wel designed to "give" when scraped, the complaint is about the scraping sound itself. People don't like the sound. The air dam itself is very durable, the scraping may mar the lip, but it does not damage the car. The worst that happens is it becomes unbuckled from the side pieces and the tabs can then be reinserted and snugged up again. So people are reacting to the sound. I rarely scrape mine anymore, but I use the sound as a reminder that I hit that ramp/bump too fast.

· Registered
4,014 Posts
Well mine is now off the 2011, the passenger side mount mounts finally failed and half of it was dragging under the car. I am try to negotiate with the dealer to replace it with the short one now. That being said, AZ has a lot of surface street drainage dips instead of underground drainage systems, the entrance to my side street has one of these and a quick left turn between main street traffic seems to always scrap. The wife swears she did not hit any parking blocks ;)

· Registered
239 Posts
I now have the short one and it is great. It does not have the buckles that always came apart and scraped everywhere. I did all the tricks like actually slowing down and going over the dips at an angle but it still ALWAYS scraped. It is pliable and split and works much better.
4500 miles and 2.4 gal used

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.