GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Low Profile Air Dam Cost $51 and installation $120

Kevin my volt advisor is telling me neither my purchasing dealer or service dealer is willing to swap out the air dam for free. Cost is $51 for the Air Dam and $120 labor. I would think since Chevy is getting many people complaining about how low the air dam is they would make this change or at least give the option.

Is this something one can do themselves or is it hard to install?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
$120 for labor?, its about 20 1/4" hex head screws, that I managed to remove my airdam took about 15 minutes ( and I put all the screws back on so I wouldn't lose them.

I've been driving for over a year without the airdam,

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Have them look at the customer satisfaction bulletins. There is another thread today talking about it as well. My dealer did both of ours for free.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
If all else fails, buy the air dam then find a 15 year old that would like to earn $20 for a few minutes work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got mine from Tonkin Chevrolet and had it shipped and I think it was cheaper than $51. I would get a cabin air filter while you are at it if you don't have one. Tonkin had an ad here for accesories.

The biggest issue I had was I had to use a 1/4 drive ratchet and short extension as my nutdriver was too long for a few of the screws. took about 20 minutes in the driveway lying down sideways.

·
Registered
454 Posts
P.S.

The Dealer that wants $120 labor deserves the title "Stealer" in my book. They obviously are not interested in making a customer happy.

3,608 Posts
I do apologize but there was a point in time when GM was allowing customers to swap Airdams. There is a Bulletin out PI0432C about the Smaller Airdam. it also lists that it is an Customer Option and should be Performed at the Customer's Expense.

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

3,608 Posts
I've been driving for over a year without the airdam,
Henry,

The airdam not only protects the underside of the Volt. It also helps with the Aerodynamics and can deflect the temperatures from the roads which it's being driven.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with Customer's expense is when you are buying the car you don't know that the dam is going to rub just leaving most driveways. Chevy should make it a option when you buy the car and inform customers that the lower air dam will rub almost everywhere. Gotta admit the way I've been treated by Chevy I'm seriously looking at Telsa. My other car is 2010 Mercedes GL350 and 2010 Porsche Twin Turbo. The volt has poor stereo system and very poor blutooth aswell

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I installed the ultra, ultra-short air dam* (patent pending) a couple of weekends ago. Total cost including parts and labor: $0. So far, I have not discerned any radical change in economy (mpg or range). YMMV

*removal of the original air damn and reinstallation of all bolts.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This is a quote from the "Chevy Volt team Q&A session on Facebook" thread pertaining to the dam air dam:

Brad Hayden: What is the part # for the shorter front air dam? My dealer did not know Chevy made an accessory like this.
Chevrolet Volt: Brad Hayden - The part number is 20993998. Thanks to our Volt advisor team for having it! Michelle
Otto Baskin: I love our 2013 and while I agree with others' points on improvements to the display and the low air dam,
John Koeller: Below is the part number for the shorter front air dam for your Volt. I also included the bulletin number, which says that the air dam can be replaced for free if it is a customer satisfaction issue (the bulletin says "customer enthusiasm" vs. satisfaction, but essentially means the same thing). The shorter air dam is around $120 otherwise.
Part Number : 20993998
Bulletin Number : P10432
Chevrolet Volt: John Koeller - Thanks for the information. Please note that the customer satisfaction campaign is no longer available. There is a cost to the replacement. Thanks, Michelle
Chevrolet Volt Thanks for your questions, everyone! We have to wrap things up for today but appreciate you taking the time to join us. We'll let you know the next time we plan on hosting a chat like this. Happy Friday! -The Volt Team
Responses like that are like putting lipstick on just saying "too bad, so sad". It's not that I wouldn't be able to afford to replace the poorly designed airdam, it's the principle of it. If a Volt owner is dissatisfied with the airdam they should replace it. Period.

Statements like Michelle's stating that "the customer satisfaction campaign is no longer available" speaks to a much bigger problem of how GM still views customers. The satisfaction of a customer shouldn't be discussed as if it's part of a limited project with an end date. Customer satisfaction needs to be a core value of the company and the responses provided in that Facebook chat demonstrate how far away they still are from walking the walk. I do applaud their efforts to show up and conduct such a discussion- so they're on the right path. Now all we need is for them to figure out how to give the right answers instead of flippant, defensive ones.

In a year's time there will be more selection in the EREV market. Along with some other current Volt owners, I might be considering the Mitsubishi Outlander vs. the ELR. GM's penny pinching on the air dam is just one small example of several non-answers that will factor into my choice and would make the decision to leave GM (again) that much easier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your dealer is trying to make some good money on you. I was told yesterday by my dealership, Keyes Chevrolet that the cost of the air dam is $35.00 and install is $50.00.
LS.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Replaced the cosmetically damaged original airdam some months after purchasing the car. If the dealer would have been local the car would have been taken back there.

Replacement air dam and the interior filter were purchased for about $50 from one of the sponsors on the website. Replaced the air dam when the tires were rotated. Red Volt's experience with the attachment hardware were similar to mine.

I run the full height Original Equipment air deflector and figure that pushing the extra air out of the way is worth the abrasion. It would definitely be interesting to look at an engineering analysis of OE Air Dam, Short Air Dam and No Air Dam.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The air dam isn't on my top 50 issues, much less my top 10. It scrapes. Big deal. If it bothers you that much spend $120 and have the shorter one put in. If it's not worth $120 to you why then how big a deal is it?

I certainly wouldn't spend $100,000 on a Model S from Tesla, which has about the worst customer relations in the world, in order to avoid this $100 expense. I'm just imagining how, after explaining the logic of that to my wife, I'd talk her out of committing me. LOL

PS: I scrape less now than when I first got the car. A few situations it's unavoidable but usually you can increase the angle which eliminates the scraping.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Henry,

The airdam not only protects the underside of the Volt. It also helps with the Aerodynamics and can deflect the temperatures from the roads which it's being driven.

I have to say that considering that Chevy has a good thing going with the satisfaction of the Volt buyers and that the same buyers promote the car so well for Chevy; Chevy should offer an exchange option for the Air Dam. At least pick up the tab for the short Air Dam or the labor (which we all know shouldn't be more than $50 bucks ~ or less).

We own two fully loaded Volts for a month and both Air Dams are not just separated but the tabs are torn off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The air dam isn't on my top 50 issues, much less my top 10. It scrapes. Big deal. If it bothers you that much spend $120 and have the shorter one put in. If it's not worth $120 to you why then how big a deal is it?

I certainly wouldn't spend $100,000 on a Model S from Tesla, which has about the worst customer relations in the world, in order to avoid this $100 expense. I'm just imagining how, after explaining the logic of that to my wife, I'd talk her out of committing me. LOL

PS: I scrape less now than when I first got the car. A few situations it's unavoidable but usually you can increase the angle which eliminates the scraping.
Its not the money Its the way GM is treating its customers. The model S base model is $52,400 My volt fully loaded was 48K (with Tax) minus $7500. Not too far apart. Tesla is a much nicer car with more room.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.