GM Volt Forum banner

Air dam and warranty?

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Fyodor 
#1 ·
I've had issues with the 3 air dam pieces staying together since getting the car, but now the snow has done a little number on it. The air dam and the clips will no longer stick into the bumper fascia as the plastic tabs have been ripped. I wasn't doing any crazy off-road driving...just your typical Canadian winter driving inthe city. I brought the car to a dealership today only to have them tell me that its not covered under warranty and the estimate is $441.95. Is this right? I was under the assumption that it was covered...

On a side note, the service tech just told me to just remove the air dam "because it doesn't do anything as it's only there for looks". Lol. He also suggested that I don't drive down side streets and to stay only on main road. A little difficult when I live on a side street.

Just wondering anyone else's experience with this. Given the tech's (lack of) knowledge and (poor) advice, I'm hesitant to proceed with the repair and replacement. I'd get under there and replace it myself, but if it's covered, then no sense in getting my hands dirty.

2012 Volt.

#2 · (Edited)
Service techs are the Volt's worst enemy, well, maybe slightly less than dealers in general. Ughh. (There are exceptions, and some great dealers out there, it's just not the 'norm')

So typical wear and tear on it would not be covered, but if it's truly as bad as you say where the tabs have been ripped, through normal driving, they may be compelled to replace it for customer satisfaction.

Alternatively, you could buy the shorter air dam (or they may put this on, again, for customer satisfaction). If you purchase it and install yourself, I think it's around $99 for just the part... shorter or regular.

#3 ·
3 Years 36000 miles Bumper to Bumper covers everything but normal maintenance items, Like wiper blades, oil changes etc. They should replace for free. Call Volt Advisor even though you are in the great white north. If you are out of warranty the part is $35-45.00 and they are only selling the shorter version with more clearance.

#4 ·
3 Years 36000 miles Bumper to Bumper covers everything but normal maintenance items

This is great. I didnt know if I hit something and break my grill it will be replaced.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Ah you guys/gals in Toronto don't get much snow :) - Come down to KW and I'll show you what real snow is like!

Strange that you have already had problems with the air dam. I'm going through my second winter with my Volt. Surprisingly the air dam is still fine despite driving through some very heavy snow. It's actually still clipped together after the last couple weeks of rough weather.

Sometimes if I brush up against a parking curb or a steep drive way my dam will become un-clipped. But I just clip it back in and all is good. Maybe you hit an ice chunk hard in just the right spot or the tab was not molded properly and was weak. Either way I would think this shouldn't be chalked up to damage from normal wear and tear and would think this should be replaced under warranty.

#11 ·
Me too, especially trying to get through that ice berm that the plough leaves at the bottom of the driveway.

I'll be interested to hear how the OP makes out with the warranty claim. I might be next in line. Some of that stuff that's on the road is heavy and solid, and it's worse on the backstreets in mid-town.

#8 ·
Interesting that the longer air dams aren't sold anymore.
Do the '14 Volts ship with the shorter air dams??

#9 ·
call your canadian volt "advisor" or whatever they are called there. The air dam is a wear out part, like a wiper blade. I ignore mine now, Im much happier that way, yes, I have driven on roads with 6 inches of snow and driven in forwards and backwards over curbs and wheel stops It is still there and still appears to be doing its job, tabs in or out..-
what does it do? it improves highway fuel economy a bunch, If you could, at 70 mph, you would want to extend it right to the pavement and have wear away whatever happens to rub over time, and extend it along the sides of the car... At 35 mph it is meaningless however. $450 for the Part? the dealer is ripping you off- go to a local body shop what they can get it for. And you can easily change it yourself if you have 15 minutes and a few simple tools.

The bottom of the car has more air drag than the rest of it taken together, That's why Tesla started out with the lowering frame at highway speeds, to reduce the amount of air that gets under the car in the first place. They just didn't know that some of us go 70 mph on bumpy rocky debris strewn 2 lane blacktop---

No you cant buy the long one anymore, but I wish I could.

#10 ·
Just spoke with the Volt Advisor and it is not covered under warranty as the damage was caused by snow. There really isn't much snow in Toronto, yet because of the minimal clearance, the dam acts as a mini slowplow. I wish I knew of the possible damage prior as I would have just removed it.

It's not worth paying the amount only to chance having the same thing happen again, so I will probably just remove the dam and not replace it. Also, the decrease in fuel efficiency will likely not hit my wallet as much as the repair. Either way, not a happy camper right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.