GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having purchased my 2016 in the winter and living in the SF Bay Area, I haven't yet needed air conditioning. This last weekend, however, I took my 2016 into the hotter Central Valley of California, and after a day in the sun, the car was hot and so was I. So I pushed the "max" button, turned the knob to "lo" and waited ... and waited. Lots of blowing air, but no evidence of air conditioning. Hmmm. Maybe there is a setting? A combination of buttons? My passenger fiddled with everything he could think of, but no luck. He said: "there's no way they'd sell a car without air conditioning, would they?" "Nah, I said, not a chance," even though there is zero evidence that air conditioning exists from within the cockpit.

My question: anyone with a 2016 with air conditioning experience willing to characterize how it should operate? Thanks!

Larry

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Having purchased my 2016 in the winter and living in the SF Bay Area, I haven't yet needed air conditioning. This last weekend, however, I took my 2016 into the hotter Central Valley of California, and after a day in the sun, the car was hot and so was I. So I pushed the "max" button, turned the knob to "lo" and waited ... and waited. Lots of blowing air, but no evidence of air conditioning. Hmmm. Maybe there is a setting? A combination of buttons? My passenger fiddled with everything he could think of, but no luck. He said: "there's no way they'd sell a car without air conditioning, would they?" "Nah, I said, not a chance," even though there is zero evidence that air conditioning exists from within the cockpit.

My question: anyone with a 2016 with air conditioning experience willing to characterize how it should operate? Thanks!

Larry
Consult Owner's manual...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi firehawk72,

Thanks for your reply. I think in all my messages in all the fora in which I've participated in my life, this is my first RTFM. I obviously wrote a pathetically unclear message. Yes, on pages 156 through 158 of the manual, it says to do what seemed natural anyway: put it on Max and turn the temp knob counterclockwise. (Actually, it says "set the temperature" so I'm interpreting ...)

What I was looking for was something more subjective, ranging from "mine blows cold air so yours must be busted" to "yeah, I can hardly tell my A/C is on, either." I'm wondering if my expectations were/are too high. After all, my heat never really did much when it was cold. Maybe, though, they are both broken. At least the steering wheel warms up!

Thanks again,

Larry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine works as one would expect - blows plenty of cold air. I even find the ECO setting on the AC to be cold enough almost all the time. I live in the LA area, for reference on outside temps, so it does get hot here. Although I am the type of person that typically foregoes a little comfort for a few more e-miles. I have not used the heat yet (just the heated seats), so can't really comment on how hot it gets.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Larry
So you pushed the A/C max button and you adjusted the fan speed. I assume you put the temlerature down to a cool temp like 68 then last thing would be to selec the button that direct the air to where you want it. Their is an image of the driver on the panel and you select the button with an arrow to direct the air to where you want it. If after doing this you still don't get a cool cabin then something is mostly not working and you should probably take it in to the dealer.

Compared to my other cars, the A/C is ok on the G2Volt. My last 2-3 cars I think have done a better job with the A/C but Volt is acceptable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RLewis, That's telling me that mine isn't working. No one would argue that mine "blows plenty of cold air." Thank you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geohec, You named the process exactly. Dealer, here I come. Thank you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My understanding is that the A/C refrigerant system is a key part of battery health. If your A/C system has truly been dead for a period of time it seems as though a) the battery has been at risk and might be worth having evaluated with an eye to that and b) surely the vehicle would have alerted on this?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mine works great, set on auto, Max, and 70 degrees. You may have a refrigerant issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Volt AC is one of the coldest systems, I have experienced.
It's my Heat that I suspect is not working half the time.
I don't seem to get any heat unless I turn temp up to something crazy, like 78+.

As dbostrom said a functional refrigeration system is essential to cooling the battery.
Not sure if the passenger & battery systems are combined.
If you take a pic of your controller settings, we can tell if you have it set right.
Either way, if it goes to dealer, curious what issue was.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Consult Owner's manual...
On what page of the owner's manual does it say anything about what comfort one should expect from the A/C system?
Make sure you read and understand a post before you give a snarky response.

I haven't really experienced a hot day where I've wanted to run the A/C, however it has kicked on a couple of times on days in the mid 70s and it was quite cold.
Your dealer will have an infrared thermometer and will be able to quickly diagnose that it's not putting out cold air. Let us know how you make out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts