GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '13 Volt is about to turn three as it was assembled in early '12

I'm thinking I'd like to replace the 12v battery on my own.
Anyone done this?
Is it as easy as an ice battery change?
Can I buy any AGM battery that matches the cars oem battery, like thru Amazon.com?
Is pulling the battery going to brick/disable the Volt if I do this in my garage?

I typically replace these type batteries every three years, like typical lead acid batteries.
My Jag required me to use a batt-charger to keep power on the cars buss to keep alarm system from disabling the starting system while swapping batteries...

Thoughts?

·
8,680 Posts

Anyone done this?
Can I buy any AGM battery that matches the cars oem battery, like thru Amazon.com?
Is pulling the battery going to brick/disable the Volt if I do this in my garage?

I typically replace these type batteries every three years, like typical lead acid batteries.
My Jag required me to use a batt-charger to keep power on the cars buss to keep alarm system from disabling the starting system while swapping batteries...

Thoughts?
I haven't gone looking, but I would expect to be able to buy a matching battery in the usual places. The replacement is exactly like any other car, and should not create any issues if done in your garage (assuming the car is turned off at the time, of course.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a 2012 and have disconnected the 12 volt battery a couple times with no problems. Actually, each time I disconnected it was to reset MYVOLT and solve a problem. (And it worked each time). I still have the original battery, but when the time comes I will do it myself.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Thoughts?
Mine has just turned three years. I'm normally proactive about changing the batteries in my cars, but I hadn't yet given any thought to doing it for the Volt. It's an AGM battery, which is supposed to last longer, it's had an easy life, and is not needed to turn over an ICE. The Optima in my smart car is over five years, works harder (OK, not that much harder) and showing no signs of ageing. Normally I would have switched it by now.

You don't say where you are, but I have had to deal with some harsh winters and extreme cold, which is why I normally don't let my batteries get too old.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Preemptive AGM battery replacement

Anyone done this?

Thoughts?
See these two posts
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ssue-but-a-happy-ending&p=1825474#post1825474
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ssue-but-a-happy-ending&p=1842481#post1842481
KNS

·
Registered
305 Posts
Die Hard Platinums are the best value in the battery space (they're rebranded Odyssey batteries, which are the best).

Do NOT get a Optima battery. When they moved production to Mexico, they must have also reduced their quality control or something because there are horror stories with Optima batteries starting after when that happened.

But, seriously, any normal battery even from Walmart is fine. There are only a few battery makers and consumer-grade car batteries are all more or less the same. Don't get too worried about it. Just buy for warranty.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Few points I've taken from the threads:
1. Sounds like AGM batteries last longer than ice lead acid batteries due to less strain and diff. Technology, may hold off a few years.
2. Purchase options are vast.
3. Will cold reboot all the car's systems, may correct some buggy behavior.
4. I will have car off the evse during swap out.

I'm in Michigan, garaged and charged at work and home daily.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
...1. Sounds like AGM batteries last longer than ice lead acid batteries due to less strain and diff. Technology, may hold off a few years...
The downside of waiting is getting stuck somewhere. That's why I replaced mine at three years. The difference in present value of spending on a new battery at the 3 year vs. the 4 year mark is trivial. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

KNS

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
1. Sounds like AGM batteries last longer than ice lead acid batteries due to less strain and diff. Technology, may hold off a few years.
Mine is 4 year old, no issues. Of course, that could be said about my Volt in general. Yes, we get harsh winters in Chicago.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It can be load tested at Sears or PepBoys (or anywhere you trust). I usually go to Sears and get their best since this is Texas. The better ones get a free replacement instead of pro-rated warranty. Handy in harsh Texas weather.

I bought one from Amazon once when a car went dead in the garage. I couldn't take it to Sears because it wouldn't start/charge. Problem with that is getting rid of the old one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had mine replaced back in Dec 2014 (2012 Volt, assembled in mid 2012). I did at Criswell Chevrolet (Gaithersburg, MD). I did on my own - meaning, it was not dead; was a preventative move on my part. Dealership said it was not time (they were trying to save me expense). I wanted to do because I had experienced a recent issue that I sourced to the 12 volt battery.

The reason I chose to do at a Chevy dealership with the GM approved battery at full MSRP is that my car is still under warranty. I did not want to have a finger pointing contest if something happened in the future and it was somehow blamed on the new 12 volt battery installation done by someone other than Chevy. I found the value of paying 2x as much as what I would have paid had I done it myself - it was worth the reduction in long term aggravation if the scenario I speculate that could happen did occur in the future.

Not saying my way is the way. Just sharing why I did it that way. Might be good to consider if one is like me. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
This is starting to sound like the old joke of taking off the Radiator Cap and sliding in a new car.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It could be cheaper just to get a cheap plug-in 12V meter from ebay and monitor your battery than send it off for recycling. Modern batteries are very reliable and the one in the Volt/Ampera gets a very easy life.

The 12V battery problems in the Leaf seem to come from a bad charging program that doesn't hold the charge up all the time but maybe only charges during regen or plug-in time. The Prius battery is just a bit small. I can't help but think a Volt/Ampera 12V battery will last a good 10 years, if not more. Just monitor it, and save on lead recycling.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Make it a point to drape something over the hatch latch striker plate to prevent the hatch from latching closed while the battery's disconnected or out of the car. The latch won't release in its usual way without power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts