GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a 2014 Volt with about 34k miles and recently I got a check engine light. I contacted Onstar to run a diagnoistic so I can be more informed when I take it to the dealer. The following codes were thrown P1E00 and P1F58. So I take it to the dealer and they say that the 12V battery has to be replaced. They want to charge me $350 to replace the battery and another $300 to reset the modules. I'm not too sure about both especially the second fee. So, I take my car home and hop onto these forums because I can defiantly replace the battery myself. I see many threads of members replacing the battery at home but no mention of this "resetting of modules" step. Was the dealer just trying to scam me out of my money or is it something that I need to perform if I replace the battery at home? Just want to make sure I understand what is required before I do this. In addition, the check engine light went away the next morning.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Most of the time when I replace the 12 volt battery, everything is fine. It will not hurt to replace the battery yourself and if you still have issues then you can decide if you want another dealership trip. Most of the time replacing the battery will solve your issues if the 12 volt battery is causing those issues.

·
Registered
718 Posts
$650 to replace the 12V battery does smell like a scam.

I would definitely start by replacing it myself as that cannot cause any problems, only potentially solve them.
And I would investigate other dealers for next time...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why do you want to replace the 12 volt battery? Because the dealer wanted to do it?

I don't think that error code has anything to do with the 12v battery.

P1F58 - Battery Pack Coolant Control Valve Position Sensor Performance - Unexpected Position Change Detected

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you're concerned about losing info when the battery is disconnected, just jump a 12v battery of any size across the terminals before disconnecting. From what I read here, however, this is not a problem.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
New battery #88865475 and retails for $212.75. I'd find a store that handles Delco batteries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys! Sounds like if I follow the steps outlined there should be no need to reset modules.

BillG, normally I don't take the dealer's word for it. I actually requested to speak with the tech and he was 100% positive that the codes were a result of the 12V battery. Below are the code descriptions from the Onstar report that was emailed to me:

P1E00 Service at your convenience. The vehicle's electric system is not performing as expected. The HPCM (VIC) may or may not have another code active. If no other code is found service at your convenience.
P1F58 Service within 7 days. The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicles battery pack charge level.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Surprised the 12V battery died so soon? I guess you're out of the b2b warranty?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys! Sounds like if I follow the steps outlined there should be no need to reset modules.

BillG, normally I don't take the dealer's word for it. I actually requested to speak with the tech and he was 100% positive that the codes were a result of the 12V battery. Below are the code descriptions from the Onstar report that was emailed to me:

P1E00 Service at your convenience. The vehicle's electric system is not performing as expected. The HPCM (VIC) may or may not have another code active. If no other code is found service at your convenience.
P1F58 Service within 7 days. The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicles battery pack charge level.
So P1E00 is a generic code. P1F58 points to the High Voltage battery or charger, not the 12V battery. Find another dealer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
When the 12V battery goes bad, the computers start throwing all kinds of false DTCs. Until the 12V battery is replaced, there is no way to know which (if any) are accurate. So, step 1 is to change the battery. Doing so will also clear the stored codes. If codes re-appear after the battery is changed, then they can be troubleshot.

If you're capable of changing the battery yourself, the correct one is the AC Delco EVLN2 for about $225 from any ACDelco parts supplier. That's what a reputable GM dealer would install.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
12V battery failure, as others point out, usually throws false codes, but also is a failure to start condition, meaning you aren't driving the car anywhere without a jump.

An annoying thing when the 12V dies, the car gets stuck in an endless loop where you can't turn it off and it fails to start all the way up. I think pressing the power button for a few seconds shut it off, or disconnecting negative 12V terminal would do it to.

Honestly, your issue doesn't sound like 12V battery failure, but hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Have your 12V battery tested Some Auto parts stores have the required tools for deep testing the battery. If a replacement is required, they can sell you one for a lower price to what your dealer quoted. Installation is very simple. As for the codes, if they do not go away, a $15 OBDII adapter can do the trick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts