GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think what's happened is that the heated seats required the leather (leatherette?) package in MY 2011 & 2012. The heated seats for MY2013 can be either leather or cloth. For after market heated seats...I think you'll need a new center stack as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just leased a 2014 volt and it did not have heated seats. The dealer arranged to have them installed for 350.00. So worth it! I have cloth seats and they did NOT replace the center stack. The controls are on the outside of each seat near the door.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just leased a 2014 volt and it did not have heated seats. The dealer arranged to have them installed for 350.00. So worth it! I have cloth seats and they did NOT replace the center stack. The controls are on the outside of each seat near the door.
Valkyrie,

Can you elaborate what they used? Were they OEM parts, or aftermarket?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You can buy after market seat heaters, from amazon, for not too much money. They use the power plug, but I have only seen them on-line. My Volt has heated seats from the factory.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I eat some broccoli and beans first thingi n the morning.... On my drive home nice and warm. Only downside is the new car smell was quickly replaced.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would very much like to know who did it, as my 2013 was SUPPOSE to have heated seats but did not. We unfortunately didn't find out that our sales person forgot to tell us they didn't get that option (it was the end of the model year so they were searching for our Volt versus doing a build order) until 2 months later when it started getting cold and couldn't find where you turn them on. By then it was too late and that is what they told us :(

Anyway, it would be great to have something a little better than those that just sit over the seat and plug into the lighter port. Can you tell me if you can turn them on using the MyVolt app? Or if they come on when you remote start the car?

I too am baffled as to why they don't make them standard. Even in Florida and California it does get cold were heated seats would be a nice feature. Plus, they consume so little power relative to the heater. Penny wise, dollar foolish I guess...

Thanks

Frank
Michigan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry I have no idea. The dealership made arrangements and had the heated seat units done. I would assume they were aftermarket since the dealer did not do the work themselves. By the way, they are working great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The aftermarket seats I had installed stay on unless you turn off the switch located on the side of the seat. When I use the remote start feature, if the switch is on the seats do heat up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The aftermarket seats I had installed stay on unless you turn off the switch located on the side of the seat. When I use the remote start feature, if the switch is on the seats do heat up.
Could you tell me who your dealer is? Can you take a picture of what the control/seat looks like?

Thanks!

Frank

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Just for perspective...

I live in Los Angeles. My Volt has heated seats. I can remember turning them on once or twice to see if they work. We have no use for them in California. I wish it had forced air cooling in the seats.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just for perspective...

I live in Los Angeles. My Volt has heated seats. I can remember turning them on once or twice to see if they work. We have no use for them in California. I wish it had forced air cooling in the seats.
Although I have lived in the midwest all my life, I have made many trips to California (SF/Pittsburg), Nevada (Reno) and Florida (Ocala). I can remember a number of times that I would have (or had) used them if (when) the rental car had them. Of course, those would have been trips in the winter...

Nevertheless, they are much-liked in this part of the country and in an EV vehicle, help save battery capacity to get you further down the road. I know they are standard on the Leaf - front AND back.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Nevertheless, they are much-liked in this part of the country and in an EV vehicle, help save battery capacity to get you further down the road. I know they are standard on the Leaf - front AND back.
I have to agree that they really should be standard equipment on any BEV and EREV.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am installing after market heaters now but there is some confusion about using them on the passaenger seat bottom due to the sensor for passenger present. Anyon wwith aftermarket confirm that they are on the seat bottom and not just the seat back?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I have to agree that they really should be standard equipment on any BEV and EREV.
Why for warm weather areas? Why should someone buy something they may never use?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Heated seats are not standard on MY13, they are included as part of the premium (leather) package, or can be added to the cloth seats as an option.

There are several ways to go about adding after market heated seats.

The easy option is the accessory route - you can buy what's basically a heating pad which goes over your seat like a seat cover, and plugs into an accessory jack (cigarette lighter). See Amazon.com.

Two, you can have after market seat warmers added to your factory seat - the heating pad is installed under the fabric of your seat, it's hard wired, and the controls are attached somewhere on the side of the seat. There are many companies that advertise this , or you could order the parts and DIY (Google is your friend). You can even include a cooling or massage option.

Three, you can have the entire seat replaced with a factory Volt seat with heaters already installed, hard wired to the existing heated seat controls.

The downside to option 1 and 2 is that I suspect you will need to turn the heaters on manually - they may not activate when you precondition the car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why for warm weather areas? Why should someone buy something they may never use?
That's like asking, "why include cabin heat as a standard option?"

Pretty much every place gets cold at some point; even Florida and Southern California have winters. Because of the impact that the cabin heater can have on battery life, it's standard practice to use heated seats as the primary heat source in a BEV and EREV.

So for the same reason that a cabin heater is standard on every car, heated seats should be a standard part of climate control for any BEV and EREV.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just for perspective...

Putting words in your mouth, what I think you mean is that we have no use for them now that climate change has made our winters so much warmer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts