GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the absence of a built-in CD player I appreciated in the 2013 Volt, does anyone have a recommendation for an after market CD player that will either plug into the 2017 Volt's USB port or its Auxiliary Jack? I am looking for something that is capable of communication with the Volt's MyLink Infotainment System, but expect this may be a bridge too far.
Bottom-line: I am looking for anything that can help me avoid additional distraction from actually DRIVING the Volt.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Bottom-line: I am looking for anything that can help me avoid additional distraction from actually DRIVING the Volt.
Then I would suggest loading you music as MP3's to your phone or cheap USB memory stick and you can then use the steering wheel buttons to navigate your music and display what's playing in the center LCD screen.

·
Registered
968 Posts
In the absence of a built-in CD player I appreciated in the 2013 Volt, does anyone have a recommendation for an after market CD player that will either plug into the 2017 Volt's USB port or its Auxiliary Jack? I am looking for something that is capable of communication with the Volt's MyLink Infotainment System, but expect this may be a bridge too far.
You will not find any external CD player that can coomunicate with the volt via USB only. You'd have to go auxilary and lose sound quality. The storage area in front of shifter is cramped and slopes downward which will make loading CDs a pain in the butt. It will be a distraction and make driving dangerous, so I'd suggest against it.

As Bazinga suggested, take a few hours and download your music onto a low profile usb thumb drive. Specifically, id suggest the Sandisk usb 2.0 version, some usb 3.0 were reported to run hot.

I have about 60 albums on mp3 format it they take up about 10 gigs and sound great. There are handful of threads about ripping music onto thumb drives and the formats that the volt can read. You can also do playlists and even rip videos or movies that can be seen on the center screen (when parked).

Putting yiur music on a thumb drive is the safer way to go and diffenitely worth the effort. You have a high tech car, take advantage of it.:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Viable Alternatives!

These are BOTH excellent suggestions, especially the concept of a "low profile USB thumb drive." Thank you for helping me come up with a SAFE alternative, after I gaffed the original purchase by not checking out the place where that CD drive used to be on the '13. Totally my bad, but on we go with an otherwise GREAT ride!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Bummer they stopped installing CD players, they are the superior sound source, unless you installed a nice turntable in your car, lol!
The thumb drive does sound pretty good though. If you have the mp3 files already on your pc, you can transfer them to the thumb drive in a jiffy. It's the ripping from cd to mp3 that takes a while. BTW, when I made my thumb drive it was for my Leaf, which could not read mp4's, which were the default in I-tunes. I had to go back and make them mp3's. This is true of my '13 Volt as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Then I would suggest loading you music as MP3's to your phone or cheap USB memory stick and you can then use the steering wheel buttons to navigate your music and display what's playing in the center LCD screen.
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to add to the USB comment.
The Apple Car Play will play both MP3 and WMA music, or books, or pod casts or whatever you like.
The trick is to make the play lists for each type of genere you want to listen to. It is far superior to a CD player and can give you great control when including the play lists. " HOW TO " Creation of the playlist is in this board and if you have XP on your computer, you can test the play list before plugging into the Volt system.
A bad play list will make your system do odd things or get STUCK. check the play lists first, easy fix.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Plus you can use the voice command to switch to the thumb drive by just pushing the voice button and saying "Play (thumb drive name)". I named my thumb drive "Volt Music", so I say "Play Volt Music".

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Bummer they stopped installing CD players, they are the superior sound source, unless you installed a nice turntable in your car, lol!
The thumb drive does sound pretty good though. If you have the mp3 files already on your pc, you can transfer them to the thumb drive in a jiffy. It's the ripping from cd to mp3 that takes a while. BTW, when I made my thumb drive it was for my Leaf, which could not read mp4's, which were the default in I-tunes. I had to go back and make them mp3's. This is true of my '13 Volt as well.
I sure as hell can't tell the difference between an MP3 and a CD over the tire and blower noise. I find myself... err... challenged... to believe that anyone else can either, especially without a direct A-B comparison and a foreknowledge of which is which.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I sure as hell can't tell the difference between an MP3 and a CD over the tire and blower noise. I find myself... err... challenged... to believe that anyone else can either, especially without a direct A-B comparison and a foreknowledge of which is which.
And wind noise and other traffic and all sorts of other distractions.
It's 2016 and these vehicles support advanced software. If you're so inclined to believe you'll notice a difference, you can play lossless audio via usb (perhaps not directly, but AA/CP should be able to). Voilà, top quality and no need for a physically spinning disc that will eventually break from years of bumpy roads, despite the best shock reduction tech available.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't recall all the formats that the Volt's stereo can read, but I seem to recall the list being at least four formats. There are also settings you can adjust in many audio formats that affect audio quality, so if you're not happy with the sound quality, perhaps the audio files need to be re-encoded. That might be a time-consuming nuisance, but it's likely to be worthwhile in the long run -- if done properly, you can load the same audio files on your phone, various types of home media players, etc. You may also be able to transfer them to a future car, even if that future car doesn't support anything as outmoded (by then) as USB flash drives -- just copy them to whatever medium the new car does support. (Of course, these multi-device points rely on your using a format that's well-supported. MP3s seem likely to last a while.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts