GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody fitted some sort of 4G Wifi into a Volt?

Just wondering, no Volt (except the 2015MY) has it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You can also buy dedicated 4G LTE hot spots for your car (all cellular carriers, Walmart, freedom-pop, ect...). Usage plans vary, can also get pay-as-you-go plans. AT&T / Verizon have best coverage - look at coverage maps first!

I don't have, or want, a smart phone, but may add the hot spot to my car.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I carry a Verizon MiFi in my computer bag and sometimes use it in my Volt. I keep it portable; it's not "installed" It plugs right into the USB in the center console and works really well.

Volt 63

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I used to have a Sierra Wireless MyFi hotspot that used Sprint. The hardware sucked as I had to replace it twice under warrantee, and the service sucked because any time I got near the engineering campus at a local university, the sprint network was so congested that the data was slower than a 300 baud modem, but it worked. It supported 4G LTE, but at that time, the towers were just getting installed and they didn't make it to my area until I left the company I was working for and returned all company provided devices. Had I bought the device personally, I would have been extremely dissatisfied. I'm sure the current MyFi boxes are better by now, but I was a pioneer at the time.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sure, but I want an onboard solution.....
Isn't your smartphone always with you?

I agree it could be nice to have a hotspot which was just active without having to activate it from the phone, at least if you use it a lot. Might look at the 3rd party solutions people are mentioning. I just activate it on my phone the few times a year I use it (say traveling across country and need it to keep the kids entertained).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, I got an ATT velocity hotspot. Great because it is one of the few that can be used while charging and has a 10 hour in use battery and a 200 hour standby. So when the car is on, it charges and is only used when the car is on. If I do not use the car for a few days, it holds a 6 or so day standby charge.

I have it in the little cubby behind the infotainment screen and plugged it into a powerport usb connection.

I have att plan, so the hot spot just uses data off my plan as it is on my family share data plan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts