GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there everyone,

I park at a train station and take a train into work. There are free ChargePoint EVSEs in the garage, which have been awesome since I moved to an apartment complex and cannot charge at home anymore. Anyways, I logged on today to check out my ChargePoint stats and noticed this graph of energy usage: 2.jpg

Notice charging completes around 0900, but there are two spikes in the graph. I'm assuming Storm is pulling some juice to keep the battery happy now that it's in the low 30's? What do ya'll think?

Happy Volting

Edit: Actually make that 3 spikes of energy usage after charging, as soon as I posted this I refreshed the page and saw another one. They last for about 10 minutes. Pretty neat. I don't recall my Leaf ever doing this, then again, it didn't even really have a thermal management system like the Volt does.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You have answered you own questions. The Volt has a TMS. You asked, you answered. :)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It pulls energy while plugged in to maintain both batteries - HV gets some heat/cooling as needed, and 12V get a top-up as needed (2014+).

Battery heat is triggered any time battery temp drops below 4C or so and plugged in, then maintains 11-16C battery temp from there onwards.
While vehicle on, it will try to maintain 16C or so.

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
Plus when it's cold like this, do a remote start about 20-30 minutes before you leave and you'll have a cozy car and topped off battery (which is warmer than if you did a cold start). It will add a few miles of range depending on conditions (and your lead foot)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always do the remote start llinja. This morning I forget to though. Really wish the volt had an climate timer like my old Leaf had, but a few taps on the Onstar app isn't really a hassle. Thanks for the information everyone.

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
I always do the remote start llinja. This morning I forget to though. Really wish the volt had an climate timer like my old Leaf had, but a few taps on the Onstar app isn't really a hassle. Thanks for the information everyone.
I find the onstar app to be too clumsy with a very delayed reaction because it has to go over the Internet, pick up a phone, dial the car, send the command. I just use the key fob to do my remote starts.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I keep an old tablet on my nightstand and when I get out of the shower, I start the car from that. Then I get dressed, collect all of the things I need to bring to work, make a drink, and then walk out. It is almost exactly 10 minutes. I can't see my car when it is charging so I can't see if the fob worked or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts