GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been back and forth in my thinking and reasoning on whether I should make the move to a Volt. I like the idea of the hybrid EV system that the Volt offers specifically. My current situation is that I'm leasing a 2017 Chevy Cruze Premier. I am 20 months into my 39 month lease. I like the economy of the Cruze, and would like to take it another step higher with the Volt. What I don't like about the Cruze is that they're a dime a dozen. It doesn't really have much of a "prestige" value. I don't trust the 1.4L drivetrain long-term on the car. Too many owners are having catastrophic engine failure due to detonating pistons. I hate the auto stop-start system. Most of all, I hate the turbo lag and how gutless the car is when it's warm outside. I'm a techy guy and I've love to be a (somewhat) early adopter of new technology!

Anyway, onto my options. Since the EV tax credit was likely to be going away in 2019 on the Volt I had planned to get one toward the end of 2019. The reason for that time frame is that the longer I wait on my current Cruze lease, the less I'll have to pay out of pocket. The dealership already let me know when I asked about it, that I would need to pay the remaining payments on my lease regardless if I turn the car in, or not. Today that balance would be close to $5,000. By the end of Q1 if I were to order a Volt, that balance would be around $4,000. The EV tax credit would still be in effect. Given that the death of the Volt has now been announced, my timeline has now been significantly escalated if I want to ever get a Volt. I'd likely want to order one so that I can get one configured with just the options I'd want. (Wish you could get the Ash interior on the Premier!!) What makes sense to you? :confused:

BTW, Been researching and reading all things Volt for several months now and love the car! Really bummed to hear it is being discontinued.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I too am a Cruze 2 Volt owner, although we still have the 2011 Cruze Eco. I drive it whenever my wife has our 2018 Volt, which we bought one year ago.

Like you I researched the Volt for quite awhile too and really looked forward to getting one. I'm of course sad about the end of this car but it doesn't give me any regrets about buying one. We still plan on keeping it 8-10 years too, and we both love our Volt.

In your shoes, if you can make it work financially, I would still go ahead and buy a new Volt.

About your Cruze, I have the same sluggish ness in warm weather that you report, although using premium in hot weather seems to help. As for the turbo lag, I have a 6 speed manual and that may help reduce that problem, as I don't notice it much. I really like the Cruze and have no plans on selling it any time soon.

Two nameplates in our garage that soon will no longer be made. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm a bit dismayed, as well. Our 2019 is on order, due the end of December. I've been researching them for a few months and feel the Volt would be near perfect for my wife's 5 day a week commute.

We're sticking with the order.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Personally I wouldn't. The manufacturer is required to provide parts for 8 years, however a Volt tech is needed to work on a Volt. With no more Volts, the pool of good Volt techs won't be going up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Question is, are they still going to make till 2022 or with the plant closer announcement made yesterday going to end there demise sooner. Later RJD

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
To the OP, if you’re going to buy one I would buy one before March 1. As of March 1 if you’re looking for any tax credit, it’ll start being reduced.

They also announced that they’re stopping production on March 1.

I think in terms of the volt tech issue, it depends where you live — if you’re in a place where there really aren’t any other volts around, there could be a problem with that potentially later. I live in the DC area and there’s plenty of volts and plenty of dealers that sell a number of them here.

I am very sad about the decision, but who knows they may place the drivetrain in another vehicle at some point.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If I were faced with your decision, now knowing that GM is done with the Volt (and likely the whole Voltec concept) I probably would wait to see where they are going next. I jumped on the Volt when I found out about the available incentives and I got a zero down, zero percent 5 year loan. It was a no brainer, but if I had to make that decision now, I don't think I would do it. (I would be extremely surprised and pleased if they suddenly released a new and improved version of the Bolt with more range and some other body styles)...but that is most likely wishful thinking.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Nope. It's dead dead dead. GM will not spend another dime on it unless it's a safety issue. They probably fired all their engineers and software developers. Dealer's are out big money that was spent training techs and buying special tools. It's a disaster.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
My worry is about the attitude of the workers at the Hamtramck assembly plant. Now that they know they will be out of a job come March 1st, are they still going to be diligent and concerned about quality? Or are they going to slap the last of the 2019 Volts together quickly and just roll them out the door? I remember hearing stories years ago about when Detroit assembly line workers got pissed off at the company they would purposely leave nuts and washers inside body panels to insure that the customers got plenty of rattles.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The part of your post that strikes me is how expensive it is to get out of your lease. Seems a waste. Isn't there some website for swapping or transferring leases with other drivers? Or you could sell the car in a private sale and pay off the lease with less of a loss, maybe. If you really need to prepay all the remaining payments, you might as well just keep the car for the remaining lease term even if you own two cars during that time. You could lease the car out and make money off of it (you would have additional registration, tax and insurance to cover, though).

Also keep in mind that if you keep the Cruz for 19 more months and then buy a Volt, there will still be plenty available on the secondary market.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The gen2 Volt is still a fine car and with the rebate it is good deal. I assume 8 years of guaranteed parts is enough. The biggest volt specific problems seem to be the hybrid control module rather than the battery or other heavy duty specific to hybrid/battery problems.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Personally I wouldn't. The manufacturer is required to provide parts for 8 years, however a Volt tech is needed to work on a Volt. With no more Volts, the pool of good Volt techs won't be going up.
GM is still making the Bolt EV, and plans on introducing more EV's soon. I would think it would not be too difficult for a Bolt tech to work on a Volt. And the pool of Bolt techs and EV techs in general, WILL be going up.

I'm sure they will allow the EV techs to work on the Volt. They won't turn away an opportunity to service the car. They do make money on it after all.

And if the EV tech can't figure out the ICE, I think there might be a few GM mechanics available who can.

·
Registered
66 Posts
GM is still making the Bolt EV, and plans on introducing more EV's soon. I would think it would not be too difficult for a Bolt tech to work on a Volt. And the pool of Bolt techs and EV techs in general, WILL be going up.

I'm sure they will allow the EV techs to work on the Volt. They won't turn away an opportunity to service the car. They do make money on it after all.

And if the EV tech can't figure out the ICE, I think there might be a few GM mechanics available who can.

Agree. And isn't the G2 Volt engine the same one used in the Cruze and other GM products? It's pretty ubiquitous and should have parts for years to come.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Agree. And isn't the G2 Volt engine the same one used in the Cruze and other GM products? It's pretty ubiquitous and should have parts for years to come.
Yes it is. The displacement on the Cruze is 1.4 vs 1.5 on the G2 Volt, but it's the same block, the same engine family. Same for the 1.5 in the Equinox and other GM products. The "Small Gasoline Engine" is a fairly new engine family and will be around for a long time.

And the "Family 0", engine used in the gen1 Volt is also quite ubiquitous. It's what's in my gen1 Cruze, and while largely discontinued I believe it's still being used on base model Buick Encores.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree. The availability of qualified technicians down the road is my main concern in fact. Although, volt (fingers crossed) won't give too much troubles, if I knew this (GM cutting the cord) were to happen, I would not have bought a volt. It is a peace of mind to know that you have the manufacture support for the life (not just 8 years, com'on japanese cars last for 20 years) of your car with qualified technicians.

·
Registered
294 Posts
GM is still making the Bolt EV, and plans on introducing more EV's soon. I would think it would not be too difficult for a Bolt tech to work on a Volt.
Suppose you are right. And given there are so many choices for BEV/PHEV these days, would you still like to invest in a new car that you know for sure GM is not gonna make anymore and have to live with these makeshift technicians/engineers to fix up your volt? Availability of volt techs isn't probably an issue if you are gonna sell or trade in after 5 years though. I am talking long term (10+ years).

·
Registered
897 Posts
Suppose you are right. And given there are so many choices for BEV/PHEV these days, would you still like to invest in a new car that you know for sure GM is not gonna make anymore and have to live with these makeshift technicians/engineers to fix up your volt? Availability of volt techs isn't probably an issue if you are gonna sell or trade in after 5 years though. I am talking long term (10+ years).
I guess I don't consider a trained and qualified EV tech as being makeshift.

I am reasonably confident that an intelligent and trained EV tech can figure out how to repair my 2018 Volt, now and for many years to come.

I would not hesitate to buy a new 2019 Volt either. In fact I would jump at the chance to get the best Volt that will ever be made. And with the shortened run, also one of the more rare Volts to ever be made.

I envy (in a good natured way) every single person on this forum who has purchased or will be purchasing, a 2019 Volt. Especially if it's a Premier, or at least a loaded LT with fast charging.

·
Registered
897 Posts
BTW, Been researching and reading all things Volt for several months now and love the car! Really bummed to hear it is being discontinued.
The OP sounds like someone who has had their heart set on a Volt for a long time. And if it were me, I would not let this unfortunate news get in the way. The only stipulation being of course getting the financial part to work.

For me the Volt was my dream car since they first came out 8 years ago. So I would certainly not let this stop me if I had not finally bought one last year.

On the other hand if I were someone who just now today started considering a PHEV, then yes perhaps now I would have second thoughts about including the Volt on my shopping list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The trade-in value of a discontinued car is always worse. If one plans to only keep the car a few years it is probably not a good financial decision. If you tend to keep cars for their full lifetime, then that doesn't matter. And if you tend to put a lot of miles on a car (>20,000 miles/year), the 8 year window on parts is probably good enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The hardest part is just not KNOWING what GM may or may not have up their sleeve. It is quite the gamble. If I ended up taking the risk and getting a Volt now while they're still available, just to have GM announce a new wave of EV/PHEV that are even better than the Volt was, that would really suck. I really hate how silent they're being about what will come down the road, and WHEN! If they'll have new vehicles out very early 2020, then it'd be best to wait. But if there will be nothing new introduced by then, and I kept the Cruze until the end of my lease, I'd then be forced to ditch GM and go with another brand. I just can't believe they'd kill the Volt without having anything in their pocket ready to release, or even give their loyal customers something to go on. I'm not a "fly by the seat of your pants" type of person and I have to plan things in advance and have a plan in place. The not knowing will drive myself, and I'm sure others planning for an EV, elsewhere and away from GM.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts