GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this volt forum, and have purchased my first volt. I have seen some great advice/recommendations while searching this forum and looking forward to driving the volt.
I have a TPW of May 16th 2016 for my 2017 Volt and have a trip planned for the middle of June. I should receive the Volt by then and if I do,I will make the trip with the Volt. One way distance is 500 KM or 310 miles. I will make sure The volt is fully charged and a full tank of gas. The major highway is approx. 10KM from my house. What mode would the experienced Volt users use during this trip to maximize mileage for electric/Gas ?

V o l t 2017

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Normal mode until you get on the highway. Hold mode while on the highway. Normal mode when off the highway.

Electric will give you the best efficiency on local streets. Hold mode will be most efficient at highway speeds.

Or, don't worry about it. Just drive it like any other car.

·
Registered
638 Posts
What TSquare said, enjoy you new Volt...

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
If money is no object, get a Bolt and a Malibu Hybrid. Alternatively, you could save tons of cash by just keeping the volt - that saved cash pays for an awful lot of miles of fuel. So ultimately, it's what WOT said.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to add an automated drive mode setting..."Enable Hold-Mode when traveling 65MPH+ after 60 seconds"

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I did some really rough and ready studying of the characteristics of my gen 1 volt and the cutoff seems to be around 47 mph.

Once you hit a steady 47mph or faster is when the rEX seems to be into it's best efficiency range.

So for long trips I save the battery for the in-town/slow and stop/start traffic at the beginning and end, or for any highway slowdowns, and I use HOLD mode once I'm up above 45mph and steady at speed.

I did a 1,600 mile trip this way and got 40.8 mpg for most of the trip.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
The most significant way to boost mileage is with lower speeds.
I used to drive 50 mph on country roads to get great range and boost my MPG, then 2 years into car ownership I decided to slap on some 18 inch wheels (adding weight to the wheels, thus affecting efficiency) and just drive it at the speed limit on the interstate. While the hypermiling experiment was fun, the extra savings wasn't worth it. I went from a 20 mpg car to 90-95 mpg hypermiling to about 85 mpg just driving. the volt does a wonderful job, so i decided not to work so hard at it.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I did some really rough and ready studying of the characteristics of my gen 1 volt and the cutoff seems to be around 47 mph.

Once you hit a steady 47mph or faster is when the rEX seems to be into it's best efficiency range.

So for long trips I save the battery for the in-town/slow and stop/start traffic at the beginning and end, or for any highway slowdowns, and I use HOLD mode once I'm up above 45mph and steady at speed.

I did a 1,600 mile trip this way and got 40.8 mpg for most of the trip.
Or you could have read the manual where it said electric is best up to 50mph. ;)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Consult the manual on how to open the gas cap before you stop for fuel the first time...:)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Think of your trip this way: the Volt’s window sticker gives it a City/Hwy EPA rating of 42 mpg, so if you switched to Hold mode upon departure and "saved" the battery power for use when at the destination, you would use 7.4 gallons of gas to drive your 310 miles. Or, you could replace ~53 of those gas miles by using the battery, too. This might reduce total gas consumption by just over 1 gallon (53 ev miles replace more than 42 gas miles) at the cost of a full battery charge (i.e., save a $1 or 2 net in fuel costs).

Careful planning and switching between Hold and Normal instead of driving in Normal mode until the battery is depleted may slightly increase the actual achieved ev miles, producing a small difference in net fuel costs. Relatively small differences for a single trip; a different outcome over a lifetime of similar trips.

Note that an "Electric Mile," for a Volt, is a mile driven on grid power stored in the battery. The Volt’s electric motor is fueled by grid power stored in the battery and by gas-generated electricity created "on the fly." Faster driving uses electricity faster than slower driving. There’s a point at which it’s more practical (and perhaps cheaper) to generate electricity on the fly than to deplete the grid power stored in the battery and then stop for hours to recharge.

Hold mode gives you some control over which electric fuel you use at which point in the trip. Some prefer the elegance of driving about town in silence, and use Hold to preserve battery power for those portions of the trip. Some use it to enhance their AER stats (using non-grid electricity when driving fast or uphill to save battery power for driving Electric miles downhill and at slow speeds is not a luxury BEV drivers have). The Volt allows you the option to obsess over your driving techniques and statistics, or to just get in and drive and let the engineering handle the details!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had several long weekend trips in my 2016. It was fun to plan where I could plug in while stopping for meals. One hotel where I stayed had a Nissan dealer that let me plug in during the day, and a BMW dealer where I charged overnight! I found another in the mall where we shopped. It doesn't always work out, and there may be some walking involved, but it's like "found money" when you can.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It doesn't always work out, and there may be some walking involved, but it's like "found money" when you can.
Yes, the value of 1 gallon of gas. :eek: :D

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
This question was discussed in the Tesla forum and gives some insight on where to stay. I found on drives to Florida and back that there are not many motels that offer this, but rather higher end hotel chains. Some hotels in Florida have them near Orlando, but they charge 39 cents/ kwhrs ( cheaper to buy gas)

https://forums.teslamotors.com/en_CA/forum/forums/hotelsmotels-are-electric-car-friendly
Does anyone know of motel chains that have plug-in charging available?

ChuckJ

·
Registered
678 Posts
We frequent the Cambria, California area and very much enjoy staying at the Cambria Pines Lodge. They have two Tesla 240 volt EVSEs and one J1772. All are free.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's probably no "right" answer to this but I've already grown quite fond of leaving the car in "mountain" mode while on the freeway on a longish trip, regardless of topography. The vehicle seems quite intelligent about leaving reasonable electric range for where it'll do the most good, and particularly in traffic requiring maneuvering the extra oomph available is very nice.

The claimed gasoline mileage while in mountain mode is extremely impressive and seems to be confirmed at the gas pump. Although, with only some 500 miles done in this mode and the paltry amount of gas added as a result the error bars are probably pretty large.

These observations gathered where the speed limit is 70MPH, if that's of any help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts