GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be honest, I have never really considered a Volt, I'm a 4wd pickup type of guy, but a local dealer is advertising a 36 month lease for about $100 per month with 1999 down. HELLO! I have 2900 GM card points/dollars, so I might be able to get the lease down to 65ish a month. Can hardly afford not to.

My daughter is in College about 350 miles away. The trip home would be from upstate NY to NH, so winter driving and cold weather battery use is a concern. Do the batteries loose significant performance in winter? does the heater work well, and does it effect battery performance?

Also, I don't know what access the student parking lots have to a power outlet, or the security if she left the car charging. (i.e. people stealing the charger).

If she does not have easy access to an outlet, can the car be used regularly with a depleted battery? does the battery charge when in gas mode?.

Also, at times she may not use it for weeks. How long can the car sit without being plugged in? In NY winters?

Is there a trickle charge solar accessory?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
530 Posts
Without a way to plug it in to charge, it's just a hybrid. If a low payment is your goal, Chevrolet is advertising some really low lease payments on the 2016 Cruze. Less than $200/mn with $0 down. It may be market specific, but may be worth looking into. I was thinking about getting one for my college age son.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The batteries don't do worse in winter, but more juice is used to heat when on pure electric. I get 28 miles in winter, 48 in summer from the battery, and 38 at other times.

Check plugshare for chargers near where she might park.

Without charging, she'll probably get 40 mpg or so. However, driving electric is very very cool.

I've been thinking about it for when my daughter graduates.

Beyond that, I've always felt the heaviness of the Volt probably makes it safer than most compacts.

Mountain mode charges the car up 70% full, but it no need for that, just run on gas and it's like a hybrid.

The batteries don't seem to degrade per almost all accounts.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wow! You need to do more research on the Volt system. If you would provide the name of the university, then I could tell you where Level II charging stations exist nearby. However, the 120-volt charging cable functions with any common outlet and can be secured with a bicycle lock to a padlock to the front tire rim to reduce the chances of theft. I would never own a new vehicle and suggest that you could purchase a great Volt off of a lease to avoid a lot of depreciation loss on the vehicle. One of the weaknesses of the Volt is insufficient heat, which does draw-down the battery pack. I average about 160 MPG with my 2013 Volt, about 70 MPG on a 130-mile trip and 250 MPG on my 16-mile daily work commute. I burn about four gallons of gasoline per month on 800 miles of driving. I get free electricity, which may be available from a free public charging station in a university parking lot. I think that you should thoroughly investigate access to electricity before investing in an electric vehicle. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html You can find many charging stations on the Department of Energy web-site. https://na.chargepoint.com/

·
Registered
89 Posts
You don't have to charge it, but if you don't you are overpaying for a car due to the massive battery. A Prius is probably better suited for someone who does not have a dedicated charging spot when they get home.

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
If the goal is to drive mostly on fuel and not really have a place to plug in, then you lost many of the advantages the volt has over any other hybrids. But the price sounds too good to be true. At that price I might forget my hatred towards leasing. There's got to be a catch.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It's a Volt. Really nothing to worry over. ENJOY.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It's a Volt. Really nothing to worry over. ENJOY.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
By the way, same here. My daughter is getting my Volt when she begins college in a few years. I'm also going to buy a Bolt for my primary car.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If the goal is to drive mostly on fuel and not really have a place to plug in, then you lost many of the advantages the volt has over any other hybrids. But the price sounds too good to be true. At that price I might forget my hatred towards leasing. There's got to be a catch.
I think the catch is 10K a year, oh, and that it is a 2016 with heated seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I leased a New 1997 Expedition because it was a smoking deal (way back when), but was not ready to turn it in at the end of the lease and hated the pressure to find a new car by a deadline. I said I would never lease again. I have since always bought a few year old vehicle and ran it till there wasn't much left. Our last vehicle was a $48,000 sticker 2003 Eddy Bauer Expedition we bought with 23K miles in 2005 for $20,000. (less than half of new). I added up the cost of repairs and unscheduled maintenance and depreciation on that truck and figured it was about 3700 per year. My wife really wanted a Toyota, so I looked into leasing and found a new 2013 Highlander for what works out to about $350 per month when you figure in the down payment. The lease is working for us, because she has been driving 12000 miles a year for the last few years. Either way, cars cost money, and leasing gave us the best option at the time.

The Volt lease seems to be another great deal. We are looking at $4000 used cars for my daughter who drives about 6k miles a year. If I can get a 10k lease for 3 years for a total cost of about 5600 (downpayment and monthly), then use 2900 in GM dollars, i think I would be crazy not to, unless the vehicle is not right for her application.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
You should get two Volts, one for you and one for her. The Volt is a better and safer vehicle than any pickup. Leave the pickup for when you have to carry pigs or muddy cargo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Website for lease deal

By the way, the lease is at Quirk Chevrolet NH. It won't let me post the link because I am a new user. quirkchevynh then add the dot com. look at lease specials.

I chatted, and it looks like you need a competitive lease in the household, which we have.

·
Registered
164 Posts
how does it handle in the snow?
I would say it handles better than average. That may be more a function of tire choice.....traction control,abs, and extra weight all help.

The comment on heating is very accurate. You can certainly keep your volt toasty hot when very cold, but that cuts pure battery range by 35%. The gas engine produces heat nicely too.

Driving pure electric will make a convert of you most likely. Once you do so for 2-3 weeks you realize how clunky dinosaur juice cars are.

·
Registered
501 Posts
They only show one Volt in inventory and it's a $40,000 premier model and their lease deal only applies to the base model

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'm where you are.. looking for a car for my college-bound daughter.

The Volt is perfect *IF* there is charging nearby. She would be driving for free most anywhere she goes and that is really cool. The Volt is fun to drive, super reliable and extremely safe as well.

Dealers can move inventory between them... no worries on inventor. Pick your color and options and let them do the work for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts