GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2012 Volt with about 195,000 miles. It's been a great car, but the oil pump failed and the ICE has been declared done for. The engine will still start, but sounds fairly bad. Not good. Anyway, I've shopped around and can actually get a used Volt engine for under $1000 shipped. Problem is I can't find anyone to change the engines out for less that $2500. The cars value isn't enough to make it worth it unless I can find someone who would do it for around $1000.

My research indicates I could get about $1500 for the car as is. The interesting thing is I can drive it around town with no problems. As long as I don't run out of battery of course. I purchased a used car for my one day a week longer commute.

Anybody have any recommendations for my unique situation? I've considered keeping it for a while, at least through the summer. It's paid off.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is a bit of a long shot, and might not offer much warranty, but have you considered contacting the local community college? They usually have automotive repair programs that might be willing to do a engine swap for near nothing as it's a good learning experience for the students.

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
The ICE is dead how? Any how many miles are on that ICE?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'd be inclined to consider rebuilding or replacing the ICE. I'd need to consider it a little more before a final decision though. I think I could manage a DYI. I've done that in the past... Can't imagine it would be that much harder in the Volt.

The technical school/ community college thing might be a good idea. They might like to get an opportunity to replace an engine on something different like the Volt.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've seen volt motors for as little as $150 out of the wrecker because there is no demand, I am quite sure you can't buy a volt for under $4000, I last time I paid for a motor drop it was $2000 including a used motor, find a cheap independent shop and it might cost less

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ICE has about 125k on it according to the RemoteLink app. I bought the car with 112k and it's lifetime MPG at that time was 40 so whoever had it before used a lot of gas!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going just by KBB which I think had its private value around $3,500. Yeah, I can get a Volt engine no problem it appears. I'll call around more. Everyone I've talked to that's Independent doesn't want to do it.

I've seen volt motors for as little as $150 out of the wrecker because there is no demand, I am quite sure you can't buy a volt for under $4000, I last time I paid for a motor drop it was $2000 including a used motor, find a cheap independent shop and it might cost less

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm open to ideas. I'm in the Midwest. I did look at the service manual. It's something that if someone put a gun to my head and said I had to swap them out, I could do it. But I'm no mechanic. It really looks like most engine swaps. One dealer I talked to said it was the same amount of time allotted as a regular car. They quoted $2,500 though. My regular dealer quoted $3700 for just labor.

I'd be inclined to consider rebuilding or replacing the ICE. I'd need to consider it a little more before a final decision though. I think I could manage a DYI. I've done that in the past... Can't imagine it would be that much harder in the Volt.

The technical school/ community college thing might be a good idea. They might like to get an opportunity to replace an engine on something different like the Volt.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Sell it to Ari_C. He never uses his ICE anyway. :)

But seriously, if facing a $3500 bill, it's still cheaper than buying a new car. With a new ICE, you're probably set for another 195k miles. with the used ICE, hopefully you're got for at least another 100k+ miles. A lot depends on whether the rest of the car is in good enough shape that you want to keep using it. if the interior is trashed and the exterior is full of dents, dings, and scratches, then maybe it is time to get a new car, but ultimately you're in the best position to decide since we can't see the car in this forum. You might also consider the condition of the suspension as at nearly 200k miles, you might also need new shocks, struts, tie rods, control arms, front end bearings, etc.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hi. I have a 2012 Volt with about 195,000 miles. It's been a great car, but the oil pump failed and the ICE has been declared done for. The engine will still start, but sounds fairly bad. Not good. Anyway, I've shopped around and can actually get a used Volt engine for under $1000 shipped. Problem is I can't find anyone to change the engines out for less that $2500. The cars value isn't enough to make it worth it unless I can find someone who would do it for around $1000.

My research indicates I could get about $1500 for the car as is. The interesting thing is I can drive it around town with no problems. As long as I don't run out of battery of course. I purchased a used car for my one day a week longer commute.

Anybody have any recommendations for my unique situation? I've considered keeping it for a while, at least through the summer. It's paid off.
Unique situation and you have put some thought into it. Everything wears out and you are looking at diminishing returns here. Personally, I would sell the car and start over. I couldn't bear the thought of putting 3k into a car and then having another big expense on top of that. Consider selling it "as is" and moving on.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'll call around more. Everyone I've talked to that's Independent doesn't want to do it.
That's because American are all lazy asses most shops only want something that only takes 5 minutes, the guy down the road can occasionally get an oil change done in 5 minutes.

Many auto shops are likely or hospitals now, get you in and out fast for a lot of money and maybe they didn't forget something

Ah well, I used to have an old drunk do repairs because he was reasonably priced, slow and more reliable than the mainstream shops

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tend to lean this way right now. Unless I can get everything done for less than 2k, I think it's not worth it. When you consider I can get 1000-1500 for it as-is, it just makes more sense. The car is in good shape. No accidents. I do have some door dings (small garage and a young boy who used to have trouble opening doors slowly). If I detailed it, it would be sharp.

I think too many things would need to be replaced over the next 100k. And let's be realistic. The Volt is a complex car and I've found maintenance costs are higher than other cars I've owned. I've already had to have the regenerative braking fixed to the tune of almost $1,000 a year or so ago. And there was something else that has now been lost in my memory that was around $800 not long after I bought it. But on the bright side, it still has the original brake pads and the last mechanic that looked said they looked like new :)

Unique situation and you have put some thought into it. Everything wears out and you are looking at diminishing returns here. Personally, I would sell the car and start over. I couldn't bear the thought of putting 3k into a car and then having another big expense on top of that. Consider selling it "as is" and moving on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You should be able to find a used ICE for MUCH less. When you do, add that cost to the installed price and see what you can find on the used market that's better deal for that amount of money than your repaired 2012 w/195k (which can drive 35 miles on electric).

If you're considering a new car as your next purchase, just sell it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm just surprised the ICE is dead at 125k on it... did it run for a while with the oil pump failed? Is there no safety mechanism in the car to prevent this (detect and shutdown or warn the driver)? I thought the ICE was supposed to last much longer than in a regular car because it is babied in the Volt... it's significantly de-rated, has slow startup/warmup before taking load, only running at a few fixed speeds instead of revving all the time, etc. That one guy on Voltstats has like 370k on his Volt, IIRC, and it's still going.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
195K is great, I've never gotten more that 120K miles on a car before it wasn't worth repairing. You should be very happy, you more than got your money's worth. Time to scrape the car and get a new one.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm just surprised the ICE is dead at 125k on it... did it run for a while with the oil pump failed? Is there no safety mechanism in the car to prevent this (detect and shutdown or warn the driver)? I thought the ICE was supposed to last much longer than in a regular car because it is babied in the Volt... it's significantly de-rated, has slow startup/warmup before taking load, only running at a few fixed speeds instead of revving all the time, etc. That one guy on Voltstats has like 370k on his Volt, IIRC, and it's still going.
Cars randomly fail everyday for some random reason, it sucks but it happens.

Not as often anymore but there are still guys who blow their gen iii Prius head gasket at say 80k

·
Registered
307 Posts
I will do it for $1000 cash! Just bring it on over to Phoenix AZ.

Most shops will not want to touch a hybrid unless they do a lot of hybrid work since you need someone that is certified to do this type of work. I have replaced 2 Gen 1 engines and they are not hard to do. You really don't even have to disable the high voltage system but it is recommended.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts