GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a low mileage (54k) 2014 Gen 1 Volt. Our dealer was doing a recommended brake fluid change and somehow managed to contaminate the brake system during the process. They tried flushing the system several times but were never able to clear the error messages, so eventually GM engineering told them to replace the brake master cylinder, the "hydraulic control system" (which I assume is ABS control module), and some other parts. Good news is that the dealer was upfront about the issue and is covering the repairs. They're also letting us use a loaner Chevy Trax for the time being (but we aren't allowed to have our dogs in it, so we can only use it for errands but no road trips or weekend activities with the dogs). The bad news is that the needed parts are backordered with no ETA. They said that GM is doing a search of dealerships and independent parts sellers to see if they can track any down but they let me know that it might be a very long time. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Is there a certain point that I'd make sense for me to start pushing for them to just buy back the car if they can't fix it in a reasonable time? Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
As if damaging your car wasn't bad enough.......a TRAX? The humanity.... at least they have the decency to spare your dog the ignominy.

Sorry about your situation, which is now costing you for the fuel. Trying to understand how they could mess up such a simple task. To add to the problem,
evidently it was not spotted at the time and you unknowingly drove it until it caused damage.

Unfortunately it sound like a situation in which you will need to keep on them to obtain resolution. Even if they "solve" the problem, I am not sure I would trust the
car to ever be correct, unless they replace every single brake component. I think you are on the right track to consider demanding a buyout. Dealers carry liability insurance
for just this situation.

·
Registered
2014 Volt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As if damaging your car wasn't bad enough.......a TRAX? The humanity.... at least they have the decency to spare your dog the ignominy.

Sorry about your situation, which is now costing you for the fuel. Trying to understand how they could mess up such a simple task. To add to the problem,
evidently it was not spotted at the time and you unknowingly drove it until it caused damage.

Unfortunately it sound like a situation in which you will need to keep on them to obtain resolution. Even if they "solve" the problem, I am not sure I would trust the
car to ever be correct, unless they replace every single brake component. I think you are on the right track to consider demanding a buyout. Dealers carry liability insurance
for just this situation.
They said it started throwing error codes immediately after they did the fluid change, so we never drove it after their work. I'm not sure if they took it for a test drive afterwards though. Either way, pretty amazing that something so routine could cause so much damage.

Good point about the rest of the brake system! When I last talked to them, it didn't sound like they were planning on replacing the calipers too. But if they were able to damage the master cylinder and the abs control module, then I'd think the actual brake calipers themselves might be damaged as well (just without all the sensors in the abs module etc that let them know about the screw up).

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Sounds to me like the new fluid had been contaminated or they shorted the power terminals on the ABS control computer. Calipers wouldn't be impacted.

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
Bad timing for sure, the Covid supply chain issues are affecting every industry whether spray paint, wood stain, auto parts, etc. If they can't find a new part you might consider getting one from an auto-salvage yard, ebay, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
805 Posts
They were upfront & honest, and are doing the right thing. Sometimes these things happen. With the supply chain in disorder, I'd just be patient and wait. If you want to take the opportunity to change cars by trading it in for another, you can certainly have that conversation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a low mileage (54k) 2014 Gen 1 Volt. Our dealer was doing a recommended brake fluid change and somehow managed to contaminate the brake system during the process. They tried flushing the system several times but were never able to clear the error messages, so eventually GM engineering told them to replace the brake master cylinder, the "hydraulic control system" (which I assume is ABS control module), and some other parts. Good news is that the dealer was upfront about the issue and is covering the repairs. They're also letting us use a loaner Chevy Trax for the time being (but we aren't allowed to have our dogs in it, so we can only use it for errands but no road trips or weekend activities with the dogs). The bad news is that the needed parts are backordered with no ETA. They said that GM is doing a search of dealerships and independent parts sellers to see if they can track any down but they let me know that it might be a very long time. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Is there a certain point that I'd make sense for me to start pushing for them to just buy back the car if they can't fix it in a reasonable time? Thanks!
Hey just want to ad my two cents on what might have happened.

Years ago I worked at a GM dealership, and we had a brake system get contaminated also. This was a long time ago
not sure if the car had ABS or not, but I can tell you what happened and what it took to fix it. First off this is how the mistake happened. GM had brake fluid that came in a can that looked almost identical to some type of cleaner (A very strong one) The tech grabbed the cleaner thinking it was brake fluid and flushed the brake system. by the time he realized the mistake the cleaner had been in the system long enough to cause all the rubber components to swell and they failed or leaked. So this meant replacement of Calipers, Wheel cylinders, Master cylinder and flushing of the system.
I am not sure if brake hoses were effected or not as they have a Nylon type liner inside the rubber brake hose.
Not sure if this is what happened to you or not but one thing I would make sure of, is you have them give you something in writing as to what they will do if more brake related problems show up later.
I think it says a lot about the dealer admitting to the mistake. I owned a Auto repair for many years and everyone makes mistakes, its how you handle those mistakes that matters. Problem is you had your happened during a bad time which no-one has any control of. I wish you luck and hope things work out for all involved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Really? No dogs in the car? I'd ask them for a rental that accepts dogs (or at least doesn't ask questions like that) when you want to take a road trip. You are entitled to an equivalent vehicle under their insurance.

Case in point... My boss has a Ford F250 truck that he bought from CarMax with their warranty. It threw the "engine computer malfunction" code, so he took it to CarMax which then in turn took it to Ford. Part is on nationwide backorder. That was 3 months ago and they gave him a Ford F150 to drive. 2 months ago, his family and some friends had already booked campsites in Wyoming (about 2000 miles from here) and he was supposed to tow the family trailer out there. He got CarMax to rent him (United Rentals) a Ford F250 to take the road trip as he needed the extra towing capacity (as well as trailer brakes).

It is nice to have a new loaner, but it is unrealistic to expect people not to transport pets in a vehicle. They need to give you the full functionality of the vehicle they screwed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts