GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there an advantage in buying or leasing a 2016 Premier Volt versus a 2017? I own a 2013 Volt and I am looking to purchase or lease another Volt. What price advantage should I look for over a 2017?

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
All of my analysis led me to conclude that the extra cost for a newer car overwhelms the savings from extra range. So is there any way I can convince you to be happy with the gen1 and pocket the cash?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Is there an advantage in buying or leasing a 2016 Premier Volt versus a 2017? I own a 2013 Volt and I am looking to purchase or lease another Volt. What price advantage should I look for over a 2017?
FWIW, GM is offering almost $3k more lease cash on '16s compared to '17s. ($7,470 vs ~$4,600). AFAIK, you still can't lease a '16 in a non-CARB state, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you're dead set on upgrading and all other factors are equal, check with the insurance. Might be slightly cheaper on a 2016?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
With leasing, there is no advantage to the year only the numbers paid in total payments including all costs. With leasing, you don't have to worry about depreciation in the sense of you "reselling" the car, so buying a year old car isn't an issue unless it is affecting your lease payments. Keeping it completely simple, with leasing between the two years, go with the one that gives you the least amount of overall cost because you will turn the car in anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight. I am going to locate several dealers, compare the same car and look at the numbers in the leasing quote. Hopefully in about 2 weeks we will have our second Volt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 16s have a higher rebate, but a lower residual so there may not be a huge difference in payments. The 17s have a few more graphs in the energy page and (I've been told) a tweaked transmission that may get mildly better mileage in CS mode.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's really no HUGE difference between the two years. 2017 has the green and added an option for the Premium for adaptive cruise. That's it...

I was going through the same, moving from my 2013 to a 2016/2017. In the end, it all came down to inventory. They couldn't find me a 2016 LT with Leather, Bose and Comfort within 1,000 miles. They were unwilling to get one, due to the extra costs. I ended up going with a 2017 LT with Leather, Bose and Comfort and the price ended up very reasonable with the incentives/rebates they gave me. $1,600 down towards taxes/fees, 36 months, 15,000/yr and only $309/mo.

My 2013 volt was $2,300 down, 36 months, 12,000/yr and $364/mo.

I decided on a 2nd gen LT, vs a Premium, because I don't care whatsoever about all of the little sensors and lane departure, cruise crap... I just wanted it to be like my 2013 Volt with heated seats and Bose sound. I also love the fact that I no longer NEED Nav built-in with the new Volt.. since it has Android Auto and Iphone capabilities! Saved me a fortune.

I'm in NY by the way, not California. :) My dealership kicked butt with the pricing I suppose... since another dealer said $0 out of pocket, except your first payment... $477/mo and 10,000 miles/yr. "Um, what? Sorry, no..."

Good luck on getting/finding your new Volt! It'll likely end up being about Inventory for you as well... since a 2016 LT with the same options as a 2017 would save you a few thousand, for sure...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts