GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the recent post criticizing others for posting information that doesn't favor Chevrolet's competitors such as Tesla. Sometimes things like this can cause us to lose our focus. People can decide to choose an EV / EREV or not and go the ICE route. Let's instead focus our energies on advancing EVs, Chevrolet or otherwise.

People have their reasons for choosing an EV from Chevrolet, Tesla or another company. When they choose an EV / EREV, that's important and some of those people may seek out support on a forum like this. Don't leave a forum just because someone said something. Please stay, and let's work it out. You can be a valued contributor, or maybe you already are.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Concur. Speaking for myself, I am not wedded to Chevy, although Volt remains a nearly unique solution for a one-car EV family. It will take a measurably better car from some other brand to lure me away, but the first pure EV with the "miracle battery" could do it. Also, my Volt and solar power ownership is based solely on financial self- interest and a love of technology, not ideology, however..... having heard the cries to "get us off imported oil" every time gas prices have exploded over the last 40 years I like an electric solution best.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
There is still not a car, after 4 years, that is equal to my ELR at less than $50k. It'd have to be pretty special for me to switch; like maybe an XT4-EV.

I've driven an XT5 and I am very unimpressed with the V-6 harshness, ride and start-stop tech on this vehicle. Looks good in the commercials, but, it's not anything like the commercials.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
I bought my 2011 Volt for a variety of reasons: 1) fuel efficiency was right up there. I might have looked at a Prius had there not been a Volt., 2) US energy independence by lessening consumption, 3) love the dual fuel source concept, freedom from range anxiety, 4) reward GM for doing the right thing, 5) car looked to be very, very well engineered. Even so, it's the most I ever paid for a car, but the tax credit put me over the fence.

Now, after 6 years, my wife and I have a very good understanding of the pluses and minuses, our range needs, whether a pure EV would work for us, and whether GM can produce a quality product and stand behind it if there is a problem.

As a result, we now have our Volt and a new Bolt EV. Barring a calamity, I won't be buying another car for many, many years. I've done all I can on a personal level. The rest is up to GM, the politicians, and the rest of the buying public.

I expect it to be slow going, but I continue to sing the praise of EREV's and EV's to any friend, co-worker, or relative who cares to listen. I agree, the more that buyers adopt an EV or EREV the better for everyone. I may have my preferences, but if everyone agreed on the perfect car there would only be one car. If Tesla, or VW or Ford, etc. are able to sell a Volt or Bolt competitor, more power to them and GM will need to respond and vice versa. Rising water floats all boats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts