GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to have my windshield replaced on my 2017 Volt. The guy that did it was not paying attention and when he replaced the windshield wipers, he put the right wiper above the driver's side wiper (the opposite of how they are supposed to be). We discovered this almost immediately when we tested the wipers by turning them on, and he swapped them. Later I noticed that he had put them on such that the left wiper was too high up, sitting a little higher than the rear line of the hood.

When I brought my car to the Chevy dealer for its 24K mile service, I asked them to adjust the angle, which they did. However, apparently they didn't test it, because now I see that when the wipers are on, the driver's side wiper does not sweep all the way to the left, in fact, not past vertical. This leaves several inches of windshield uncleared by the A pillar, where visibility is poor to start with.

Is there any way I can adjust this, or do I have to go back to the dealer?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
However, apparently they didn't test it, because now I see that when the wipers are on, the driver's side wiper does not sweep all the way to the left, in fact, not past vertical. This leaves several inches of windshield uncleared by the A pillar, where visibility is poor to start with.

Is there any way I can adjust this, or do I have to go back to the dealer?
Are you sure you have a problem? Vertical/parallel to the edge of the windscreen is all the further it's supposed to go.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It's pretty easy to do, except on an old car where they may be corrosion. I haven't looked at my Volt wipers, but on other cars I have removed a plastic cap from the hub area, then removed the nut. The arm is sitting on a hub that has what look like tiny gear teeth. Then by removing the arm from the hub by rocking it slightly while pulling out, it should come off easily. Then you just orient it to the teeth that get you closest to where you want it to go. The service manuals usually have a measurement from the base if the windshield, and suggest you put a piece of tape there as a reference when installing the wiper arm. Or you can just eyeball it and use the trial and error method.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise, but it is actually not easy to pull the arm off the hub.

In any case, that will not fix my problem, because in order to change the angle so that it sweeps all the way to [close to] the edge of the windshield at the top, that means that the arm will stick up above the edge of the hood. It wasn't that way before the windshield replacement. The range of the sweep needs to be increased by a few degrees.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are you checking this with a hose continually wetting the windshield. there is a big difference between a wet windshield and a dry windshield. It appears that in order to sweep close to the A pillar your blade sits too high in parked position, and there is really no adjustment to expand this sweep to get a low parked position along with a full sweep position to my knowledge. Also did the place the correct blade on the correct side there are left and right blades on our vehicles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts