GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone know if this will work in the Gen2 Volt? https://automotiveintsolutions.com/products/usbcd1

Supposedly this can be controlled from the factory system controls. On that page, it lists the Cruze and the Malibu, but not the Volt. As I am aware, the entertainment systems for the Cruze and Malibu are very similar to the Volt, so I am a little surprised and suspect it is just an omission.

For exhibit B, we have this eBay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Integr...018-Chevy-Volt-IO5-IO6-Radios-8-/362247253030

...which seems to show the same product aimed at the Chevy Volt, in the product description. It even appears to be neatly mounted in the cavity below the HVAC controls of a Gen 2 Volt. From more clues in the description, it seems to plug into the USB port of the car. If this was a plain-old computer drive, I suspect it would not provide this functionality (since the Volt is probably looking for a mass-storage device). Perhaps they are emulating a mass-storage device with an audio CD as the source?

Wondering if anyone has this thing, and what is the report? Does it work, and if known, how?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Not sure why you would want to do this when you could put your whole music collection on one small inexpensive inobtrusive thumb drive. They used to make portable turntables for automobiles as well but I'm not sure you'd want to go there. :p

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I started a thread on this a few months ago, but it seems to have disappeared during the recent server move problems...

I was looking into the same. My wife got a multi-CD audio book she wanted to listen to during her commute. I finally decided to go with the flow and do as FI Spyder says - just rip the CDs to a USB thumb drive. It only took a few minutes using Sound Juicer on my linux system. There are many other like-minded tools available on Windows and Darwin (Mac) systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I reviewed the installation instructions but I'm not clear as to whether this is a fully integrated solution or not. Meaning does it plug into one of the available USB port in the central console? If so, how is this any different from my current setup?

I use a portable Sony CD player (from the last decade) with one cable plugged into the auxiliary port of the car and power from a USB charging cable ($12 on Amazon).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Move up to mp3 files, you'll never regret it. That CD player holds 1 CD album. You can have hundreds of ripped CDs on a thumb drive and the audio system automatically sorts them by album, artist, song, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you folks are trying to be helpful, so thanks. I'm really just trying to find out whether this product works properly with the Volt. I do use mp3s on my phone, flash drive, play via bluetooth, etc all the time, but there are reasons why some people still need to play a physical CD in their car, and this product probably exists to answer that need.

I will probably just get and do a report on it, in the off-chance that there are any others out there who are interested.

If you are curious about my situation, I am a recording engineer, and we still press albums to CDs as the final product (even though people just rip and compress it down to crappy mp3s after they get it). I always do final checks in my car using the finished CD before delivering it to the customer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think you folks are trying to be helpful, so thanks. I'm really just trying to find out whether this product works properly with the Volt. I do use mp3s on my phone, flash drive, play via bluetooth, etc all the time, but there are reasons why some people still need to play a physical CD in their car, and this product probably exists to answer that need.

I will probably just get and do a report on it, in the off-chance that there are any others out there who are interested.

If you are curious about my situation, I am a recording engineer, and we still press albums to CDs as the final product (even though people just rip and compress it down to crappy mp3s after they get it). I always do final checks in my car using the finished CD before delivering it to the customer.
You are saying you can hear the difference is a 320k mp3 vs CD on the stock volt sound system?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
You are saying you can hear the difference is a 320k mp3 vs CD on the stock volt sound system?
Especially once it gets transcoded into whatever stream a cd player that connects via USB uses.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
You can't hear the difference in a moving vehicle. There is too much wind and tire noise masking the music.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Especially once it gets transcoded into whatever stream a cd player that connects via USB uses.
Do you know something about how this CD player delivers audio to the Volt? I can't imagine why they would go out of their way to compress/encode the audio to anything from its original PCM form. It would seem to me to be a waste of processor power and parts. I don't think it's a reasonable assumption that a USB port requires a lossy mp3 stream, but I think we are all guessing here.

I'm not one of those people who needs their entire audio collection to be on CDs so I can enjoy it in the car. There are plenty of people who do, and yes they can tell the difference (some songs more than others). I will say that, for those that think there is no audible difference between a lossless playback (Compact Disc, .wav or .flac), and a typical-bitrate mp3 or iTunes file, they literally don't know what they are missing.

As I said above, my main reason for wanting to play a CD in my car, is that the entire physical CD is the final product I am checking every aspect of (including details like whether it plays correctly, tracks in the right order, etc), so it's not really appropriate to convert it to another form entirely and check that instead. Yes, I can (and do) all that in the studio, but the car is my favorite environment to listen in, and often times I may pick up on problems I did not notice before simply because of that.

So getting back to my original topic, If I figure anything out about CD players that work in the Volt, I will update this thread!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just curious - why not a portable CD player connected with an aux cable? Wouldn't that achieve the same goal?
Not really, this thing can be operated from the Volt screen and button controls, or at least it claims to be able to. Also it slot-loads, and can be mounted vertically so it can be hidden out of the way, unlike the portable CD players I have found.

But that is definitely the fallback plan.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Not really, this thing can be operated from the Volt screen and button controls, or at least it claims to be able to.
STEP 4 Once the full conversion is completed, you can proceed to operate the CD player thru the factory radio normally.

Reading the above blurb from the purposeful limited info regarding this unit in the .pdf, seems it is simply converting the pcm from the CD into a format readable by the factory stereo!?:confused:

So this unit would basically just be ripping the cd, converting it and then buffering it into memory so the factory head unit can then play it which isn't really the intended purpose stated by the OP:

As I said above, my main reason for wanting to play a CD in my car, is that the entire physical CD is the final product I am checking every aspect of (including details like whether it plays correctly, tracks in the right order, etc), so it's not really appropriate to convert it to another form entirely and check that instead. Yes, I can (and do) all that in the studio, but the car is my favorite environment to listen in, and often times I may pick up on problems I did not notice before simply because of that.

FWIW: Gen1 factory radio in my Volt is able to play ripped non-compressed .wav files w/o issue like the one above so I would think the Gen2 could do this as well...

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Reading the above blurb from the purposeful limited info regarding this unit in the .pdf, seems it is simply converting the pcm from the CD into a format readable by the factory stereo!?:confused:

So this unit would basically just be ripping the cd, converting it and then buffering it into memory so the factory head unit can then play it which isn't really the intended purpose stated by the OP:

FWIW: Gen1 factory radio in my Volt is able to play ripped non-compressed .wav files w/o issue like the one above so I would think the Gen2 could do this as well...
And somehow making it BIGGER than the CD at its native data rate. (Audio CDs have about 10MB of data per minute natively. This thing is showing 65 minutes, and 2120 MB. Why is this thing almost quadrupling that?)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
And somehow making it BIGGER than the CD at its native data rate. (Audio CDs have about 10MB of data per minute natively. This thing is showing 65 minutes, and 2120 MB. Why is this thing almost quadrupling that?)
Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 193264302786610869357057170135151689730 (0x916559CD7D8E97A2B30C4615F30E4002)
Complete name                            : \\LAT2100\blu-ray\music\Pink Floyd Immersion\Wish You Were Here.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 8.58 GiB
Duration                                 : 44 min 45 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 27.4 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2011-11-30 19:30:26
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v5.1.0 ('And so it goes') built on Nov 28 2011 23:58:28
Writing library                          : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

Audio #1
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : A_MS/ACM / 00000001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 13.8 Mb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                              : 4.32 GiB (50%)
Title                                    : 5.1 Surround Mix (2009) 24bit / 96kHz Uncompressed
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio #2
ID                                       : 2
Codec ID                                 : A_PCM/INT/LIT
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Title                                    : Original Stereo Mix (1975) 24bit / 96kHz Uncompressed
Default                                  : No

Audio #3
ID                                       : 3
Codec ID                                 : A_MS/ACM / 00000001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71
Bit rate                                 : 9 216 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 4 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R, Side: L R
Stream size                              : 2.88 GiB (34%)
Title                                    : 4.0 Quad Mix (1975) 24bit / 96kHz Uncompressed
Default                                  : No
Sorry about the confusion, I was only posting that uncompressed wave file as an rather extreme (bit rate/depth & sample rate) example of what the Gen1 factory stereo is able to play effortlessly w/o conversion via usb.

Was also able to confirm the factory radio can play the above Original Stereo Mix (1975) 24bit / 96kHz Uncompressed as a .wav file once separated from the 8.58 GB source file of Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here Blu-ray.

I wouldn't ever spend $400 on an aftermarket CD player to perform these conversions when there are free tool(s) avail that I can use to do this myself!;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[
Sorry about the confusion, I was only posting that uncompressed wave file as an rather extreme (bit rate/depth & sample rate) example of what the Gen1 factory stereo is able to play effortlessly w/o conversion via usb.

Was also able to confirm the factory radio can play the above Original Stereo Mix (1975) 24bit / 96kHz Uncompressed as a .wav file once separated from the 8.58 GB source file of Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here Blu-ray.

I wouldn't ever spend $400 on an aftermarket CD player to perform these conversions when there are free tool(s) avail that I can use to do this myself!;)

Agreed and thanks for the astute observation about this product. I agree there are much better ways to handle playback, especially if ripping it is an acceptable option as part of the process. Glad I didn't waste my money.

I can confirm that the gen 2 seems to be willing to play whatever .wav format I can throw at it.

Seems like someone ought to make a compact, slot-loading portable CD player for cars, that runs on USB power, has remote mountable controls, and retails for <$200.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Seems like someone ought to make a compact, slot-loading portable CD player for cars, that runs on USB power, has remote mountable controls, and retails for <$200.
While we're making requests, I have a lot of old cassette tapes lying around, we should get a cassette player too. ;^)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just browsing old threads and wanted to ask why volt drivers are mostly over critical dick heads about things? Is this an EV snob thing? This guy provided a legitimate question and a legitimate reason for asking the question and you all curb stomped him at every chance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts