GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we've owned our 2012 for coming up on a year in the spring. Both of us love it, but it's my wifes daily driver.

So, bought a 2011 to replace my old gas guzzler, taking delivery hopefully tomorrow.

But...one of the FIRST things I noticed when I went to check it out at the dealer was that it didn't have the little silver buttons on the doors to unlock them. I've digged around and it appears that this was only an option starting in 2012.

I really....REALLY like that feature on our 2012 and I know it'll drive me bonkers not having it on my 2011 now. ;)

Anyone ever heard of anyone adding the 2012 door handle with the button and making it work? Even if it was only the drivers door vs all 4, I'd take it.

Yes, I know it's probably one of those "the wiring isn't even there" type situations, but doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Anything is possible. You'd likely need to replace various wiring harnesses with a 2012, the windshield mounted receiver with a 2012, new 2012 keys and fobs, new 2012 door handles and 2012 door locks. so, door and dash disassembly, plus routing new wiring. Or, you could buy a 2012...

Now ask if you can add Hold mode to the 2011 :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can see everything else is identical - key fob is the same, all other behaviours including proximity operation of the fob behave the same.

But yes, I suspect there's far more than meets the eye on a change like this...

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Why not trade cars with your wife? I'm sure that she would want to alleviate your angst. 8^))

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think the hitch is that you would have to replace the body control module, which I assume is what coordinates between sensing the remote, sensing the button press, and triggering the unlock. But that BCM also probably integrates with "everything else" in the car, so getting a new one to properly integrate with all that and be recognized as legitimate may not be possible. I'm no Volt technician, so these descriptions are probably not be quite right, but I think the complexity problem is pretty close. I think it will not be practical to try it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You could Red Green it and duct-tape the key fob to the door handle. Problem solved. Canadian ingenuity at its best.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I think getting the BCM would be the biggest problem plus keeping it updated with the proper software. You can turn a Samsung Note 8 into an iPhone 10 but sometimes it is just better to buy one. Plus the time you will have to rent a car while you do the conversion.

I have 2 2013s. One does not have a backup camera the other does. I have all the parts now to put one into it so that it is somewhat stock looking, Malibu back up camera wiring and the instructions on how to do it here on the forum. But just have not had the time to do the tear down and assembly.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
been a while but we had a thread with server other items that are different on 2011 and 2012

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
But...one of the FIRST things I noticed when I went to check it out at the dealer was that it didn't have the little silver buttons on the doors to unlock them. I've digged around and it appears that this was only an option starting in 2012.
Yes, when I was driving my '11 and my son got at '12 which had it, it was the first thing I noticed. Handy. My wife has it on her '16 and really likes it. I never considered adding it tho since I just clicked the FOB as I was walking up. Could be handier for a lady with a purse if the key don't need to be located tho.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
been a while but we had a thread with server other items that are different on 2011 and 2012
Yeah, I found that thread when I was looking this up.

Yes, when I was driving my '11 and my son got at '12 which had it, it was the first thing I noticed. Handy. My wife has it on her '16 and really likes it. I never considered adding it tho since I just clicked the FOB as I was walking up. Could be handier for a lady with a purse if the key don't need to be located tho.
It's something I've got *super* used to with our 2012 though - I just clip the fob on my pants with a caribiner now and don't even touch it.

I also noticed tonight that it lacks auto-locking as well, which is something else I'd kinda grown accustomed to - just walk away with the keyfob on you and it locks. Essential for my wife as she always used to leave her car unlocked (and low and behold just two nights ago our neighbourhood was hit with car thieves checking doors, caught them on our CCTV) but I too kinda hoped to have it - sad to see it was not part of the 2011.

I'll have to remain oldschool I guess and keep pushing fob buttons like a mere mortal. LOL.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yeah, I found that thread when I was looking this up.

It's something I've got *super* used to with our 2012 though - I just clip the fob on my pants with a caribiner now and don't even touch it.

I also noticed tonight that it lacks auto-locking as well, which is something else I'd kinda grown accustomed to - just walk away with the keyfob on you and it locks. Essential for my wife as she always used to leave her car unlocked (and low and behold just two nights ago our neighbourhood was hit with car thieves checking doors, caught them on our CCTV) but I too kinda hoped to have it - sad to see it was not part of the 2011.

I'll have to remain oldschool I guess and keep pushing fob buttons like a mere mortal. LOL.
I am sure you did this but you did not mention it, the auto-locking is a setting in the personalization menus on my 2013. Did you check that the previous owner did not have them set to off? I personally don't like it, but to each his/her own.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sure you did this but you did not mention it, the auto-locking is a setting in the personalization menus on my 2013. Did you check that the previous owner did not have them set to off? I personally don't like it, but to each his/her own.
Defianately checked. The option isn't even there on the 2011, but is on our 2012.

Not sure if it's a setting that can be toggled on/off only by the dealer, kind of like the charge cord theft alert etc - on the 2012 that's selectable in the menus, on my 2011...nowhere to be seen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts