GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my 2012 Volt on Sunday and wanted to add the rear armrest only to do more research that the 2013 models have a diff rear center console which allows for the rear armrest to be installed. So I did some research and found the 2013 lower console part number and it should be an easy swap and then I can add the armrest.

Part numbers needed:
Lower rear console (2013+ black) #22926913 $97.75
Rear console mat (diff from 2012) #22922342 $15.65
Armrest (black) #23119020 $138.43

Should be able to relocate the cup holder and 12volt from the current console, as they shared the same part numbers from the 2012 diagram.

I also ordered the rear partition and will just take the bag off, and the cargo liner.

I will post pics once I get the parts here and install.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Let us know if this works out fine and off course lots of photos :)
Agree as I own both a 2012 and 2013 and would like to add the rear arm rest to our 2012. Looking forward to your results.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem guys. After owning many cars and always modding them in some fashion there isn't much going on in the Volt world.

Also I may work on a retrofit for better projectors. Also working with Carbonio for the carbon fiber rear cargo cover. I love carbon fiber and no word on price for that yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Let us know if this works out fine and off course lots of photos :)
Ditto. I've got a 2012, and I'd like to put the rear center armrest in as well. But I think that I read somewhere (probably in this forum) about people with 2013's having trouble - at least initially - with the arm rest, which was reportedly loose-fitting and rattling. I'll wait to hear how yours turns out. (can any 2013-14 owners comment on the quality, or lack thereof, of the armrest?)

S

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok parts have arrived and here are the pics.

Nice thing is the lower center section included the 12v outlet and cupholder parts, so nothing to swap over from the org part like I thought I would need to.

I can't install it yet as my Volt is in for the stator bearing replacement hope to have back it this week and will install it all then. However you may be able to pull your current section and compare to my pics and help me confirm it will just drop in.

Console;

r

Little mat:

Armrest:

**My little piece that keep is securely closed came broken. Not sure I will ship back yet for replacement, since the whole until doesn't move up it will never just fall open once install. **

Armrest just snaps/slids in with nearly no effort here:

All together:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There already is one....just google carbon cargo cover!!!
Thanks and yes I am aware. They are special order cost like $800 plus shipping and take 10weeks to get as they are in Europe and I have been speaking with them. They don't exactly do direct sale and want to setup with my local dealer. I just haven't had the time.

I hope I can work a deal out with them as I don't think they have sold one in the US yet. I know the materials are really not that $$$

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Should have mine back by Wed and will install then and post back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok got the car back and swapped it out today. Only real diff is the 11-12 rear console has 2 clips in the rear, and the 13+ has just 1. Now bc of this the bracket it clips into on the rear is incorrect. You could remove the rear clip from the new console and likely be fine as the seats and seat back hold it well into place.

I am looking for the correct bracket but online shows MY12 and MY13 with the same bracket number (#9 in the links below)
http://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/pa...l4-electric-gas/body-hardware/floor-and-rails
http://www.gmwholesaledirect.com/pa...l4-electric-gas/body-hardware/floor-and-rails

To install
1. Pull up on the center cup holder area, with some force and then pull from the front.
2. Once lose, fold the rear seats down the allow for the flared out rear to slide/wiggle free of the seat back (you will see what I mean)
3. Once fully lose unhook the 12v supply
4. Reverse order to install new console (pull up on the rear seat bottom cushions or remove to make install easier, they just snap in place)

Pics showing the bracket and how the new console sits until you either take that clip off or I can find the right bracket. Maybe some strong 3M double sided tape if you remove the clip. This may be what I end up doing even if I can find the bracket depending on cost.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Ok got the car back and swapped it out today. Only real diff is the 11-12 rear console has 2 clips in the rear, and the 13+ has just 1. Now bc of this the bracket it clips into on the rear is incorrect. Maybe some strong 3M double sided tape if you remove the clip. This may be what I end up doing even if I can find the bracket depending on cost.
Perhaps modify the steel plate with a third slot for the new bracket? Remove it and drill a few holes where the new slot goes, then use a flat file to smooth out the slot. Reinstall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Small update I removed the rear metal anchor tab from the console that doesn't allow it the sit flat correctly. The under side is molded just diff. enough to keep it from being 100% perfect. I am going to try to find the correct bracket soon. But again it still fits just fine and doesn't move and you can't notice unless look at it from behind in the hatch area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
black12volt...Did you finish this? I just bought a 2013 that came with the armrest and no partition. I bought the partition without realizing that it they are not compatible until I went to put it in. Were you able to modify it to fit? I can't see both working together unless you cut out the bag on the partition, which I think, would make it look pretty crappy.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
black12volt...Did you finish this? I just bought a 2013 that came with the armrest and no partition. I bought the partition without realizing that it they are not compatible until I went to put it in. Were you able to modify it to fit? I can't see both working together unless you cut out the bag on the partition, which I think, would make it look pretty crappy.
Just compress the bag a little bit at the bottom. I don't put anything in the bag anyway.

Rear Barrier 2.jpg Rear Barrier 1.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I ended up not using the partition as I then decided to use a carbon fiber panel cut to fit it to block it off and to match my soon to arrive carbon fiber cargo cover. The cargo cover comes from Italy made for the Ampera.

What I planned to do org then was to cut the seems off the bag and just have the panel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's a real shame that all the pictures from this post from only 4 months ago are already not available. Should have posted them properly to this website instead of linking to flickr and then having them removed or whatever. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had the same thought. I guess no originals on your computer? Sounds like and interesting upgrade. On a previous hatchback (Acura Integra Type R) I found that the rear cargo cover made a huge amount of difference when it came to blocking out road noise from the rear tires and trunk area. With absence of engine noise that will probably be just as important a factor reducing noise at highway speed in the Volt.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just had the same thought. I guess no originals on your computer? Sounds like and interesting upgrade. On a previous hatchback (Acura Integra Type R) I found that the rear cargo cover made a huge amount of difference when it came to blocking out road noise from the rear tires and trunk area. With absence of engine noise that will probably be just as important a factor reducing noise at highway speed in the Volt.
This is a bit of an old post, but it is worth adding my 2 cents here on a couple of things. As the maker of the VoltShelf, I've done a lot with the topics here.

1. I make a rear seat panel to block off the space between the armrest. It does not have the organizer bouch on it, but it serrves the same function. I don't now how much use that pouch really gets for most people, but my panel looks good without it. And there is absolutely no interference with the rear arm rest if you have it. This is $40 for the carpeted version and $50 in black or dark chocolate brown leatherette. That includes shipping! Save youself some $ over the GM organizer. The leatherette looks GREAT with the leather interior cars.

2. The VoltShelf is a hard cargo cover that really quiets sound from the back of the car. As Volt RS points out, with no engine noise, other sounds become much more prevalent. And annoying. The guys that have VoltShelves swear by them for the added quiet, great finished look they add, and the added coverage for your stuff. Colors are available to go with all interiors. And I can even do one in the black leatherette if you want a really great look. Lots of pics and testimony is on this site if you do a search.

You can check it all out at VoltShelf.weebly.com

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts