GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BlackVue (1).jpg BlackVue (2).jpg Rear Accessory (2).jpg Rear Accessory (1).jpg BlackVue (3).jpg Hi All,
Even though it is thoroughly not recommended by GM and may cause battery drainage and worse if done incorrectly for my local piece of mind I have added:
• Blackvue Up front (Black box type video recorder 1/2 frame rate full HD - no sound) to insure myself against our new age erratic lane changing taxi drivers.
When the taxi driver is in a taxi - we totally expect the unexpected when approaching a taxi - it's more for when they are in their own car I need clear evidence if they ever pull out and change lanes / where there could be no chance to stop in time.
• Secondly I've installed a tracking system at rear so I always know where my Volt is - or if its moving when it shouldn't have as we don’t have “On Star” in Australia (So I have my own private security only version)
Wiring for both was very easy for both in regards to the Volt, I just had to supply a low amp mini fuse in each case.

So nice of GM to leave one appropriate powered blank fuse holder at each location!
3Amp min blade fuses were in my stock - but would have used 2Amp preferably for both applications –very sufficient for the accessories concerned.
Background In the past I used to use wire splices - but they can damage wiring, so I've gone for the new lazy technique which works by wiring under the blade- fuse protected side contact, the worst that can happen it could get pulled out along with the fuse and I might have to tighten -bend the fuse holders contact on removal in future.: Read no damage to vehicle.
Ok for Australians: Holden Volt powered down per normal parking, wait 10min preferably Unless you like an airbag surprise – possibly?
Blackvue install with power magic option (Lets you record parking events on a good day without running the 12V battery flat):
• Remove LHS Side Dash Fuse cover, top first then bottom clip slide sort of up.
• I removed the LHS Windscreen moulding need little screwdriver to pick out plastic rectangle clip (be careful not to damage trim or clip – use layers of masking tape as protection. Remove the bolt unclip moulding at top and then slide moulding from clip at bottom. Reverse for install.
• Install BlackVue to your taste, run wiring away from side airbag use good quality electrical tape to secure to body pillar – in my case short piece of soft jacar spaghetti wire protector into glove box – As I don’t use glove box much….
• At “F8” location – next door to the 20Amp Accessory fuse Install the Yellow battery + Wire to the Outside position while inserting your new 2 or 3 Amp Fuse. You need to strip back the wire enough and twist it slightly, then bend it to make it easy to install the fuseblade over it.
• Pull the 20 Amp Accessory fuse and install the Red + Accessory wire to the outside blade as well. This way it’s at least protected by the 20Amp accessory fuse – which is better than nothing / alternatively you would have to wire an inline fuse on the red wire close to this point that you will have to use anyway – why – it is the accessory point that is powered only when the car is on – and you don’t really won’t to be messing with other circuits that are critical now do we! Again note the outer side contact these fuse boxes are the ones running through the fuses – got it? There the ones we need to make sure we use.
• Earth I ran down to LHS OBD module connector – put it underneath holder at left hand screw position and it found a good earth.
• Test your BlackVue with PowerMagic park mode switch ON if it powers up your yellow wire and new fuse is good.
• Now turn OFF your parkmode switch on the power magic button and test by powering up Volt – if it does your Red wire has a good connection. If both don’t work you have a bad earth – check again or everything you’ve done with the + is really bad so go seek assistance from a person who knows / has some wiring talent !

Rear power, Rear side Fuse panel.
• At “F9” location (Australia has no DAB installed and handy 10 Amp feed)– next door to the 10Amp Fuse in that block. Install your + Wire to the Outside position while inserting your new 2 or 3 Amp Fuse (In my case for the GPS tracker) You need to strip back the wire enough and twist it slightly, then bend it to make it easy to install the fuseblade over it.
• Earth can be feed on a lug/spade type connector under the holder, try not to the loosen the bolt completely – otherwise you be taking the rear floor out to get that bolt back 

Warning:
Please see pictures attached, if you can’t work out what is what -STOP! Take it to an auto electrician or Audio installer who should.

Cheers,
Hope this help!

Martin

·
Administrator
20,810 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics and details, Aus1. Can we look forward to pics of the rest of the install? :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BlackVue (4).jpg QUOTE=Steverino;226415]Thanks for posting the pics and details, Aus1. Can we look forward to pics of the rest of the install? :)[/QUOTE]

Ok Steve, just the Blackvue from the front, the minature GPS tracker is secret business - hint hint!
Now my Volt has two eyes wathcing you from the front!

Cheers,

Martin

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just a note to anyone installing accessories that require a power tap. You should avoid trying to insert wires or taps in beside the fuse spades. It will spread the fuse block contacts over time and cause a bad connection. Believe me, I have seen it happen many times. One better way is to use one of these taps. You pull the original fuse and plug this in, then install the original fuse in it, and it has a new fuse for the device. They work really nice and you don't stand a chance of damaging the fuse block. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cheers This would be handy at the accessory 20Amp point, if I can find a 20 Amp version -Ta Martin
Can this handle the original 20Amp fuse or is this one only 10Amps on both cases?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Cheers This would be handy at the accessory 20Amp point, if I can find a 20 Amp version -Ta Martin
Can this handle the original 20Amp fuse or is this one only 10Amps on both cases?
You would want something like the Bussmann BP/HHH for the ATM size fuse. The specs on the Cooper Bussmann site say:

Converts ATM fuse circuit into two fusible circuits. Inserts into ATM fuse block, added circuit 10A max.

So, it appears that the original 20 amp fuse can still be used, and the added circuit is limited to 10 amps.

The bottom position on the tap (empty in picture) is for the original circuit, and the top position (with inserted fuse in picture) is for the added fuse for the added circuit. You have to orient the tap so that the blade (leftmost in picture) opposite the red wire goes into the (+) slot on the fuse block, and you connect the red wire to the (+) wire of your accessory. You provide your own (-) wire connected to an appropriate metal part of the car to connect to the (-) wire of your accessory.

(Hope I got all that right! :))

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers erewon,

I'll get one on order .....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Cheers erewon,

I'll get one on order .....
Let us know how it works! My guess is that at the empty F8 fuse position in the front of the Volt, you put the new fuse into the top position on the Bussmann tap, and leave the bottom position open. Same with the empty F9 fuse position at the back of the Volt.

You can find taps similar to the Bussmann BP/HHH by Googling "add-a-circuit".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts