GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what I need to do/buy/install a factory/integrated navigation system?

I bought the car and this is the only option I feel I am missing but I am not sure what hardware I need or if it is just an app. I don't have a smart phone and do not want one. does anyone make just a stand alone gps that will plug into display?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
anyone know what I need to do/buy/install a factory/integrated navigation system?

I bought the car and this is the only option I feel I am missing but I am not sure what hardware I need or if it is just an app. I don't have a smart phone and do not want one. does anyone make just a stand alone gps that will plug into display?

thanks.
Just a thought, you could pick up a second hand Android phone, install Google Maps on the phone. With Google Maps you can download the maps for your local area to the phone so you would not need a phone plan or an OnStar data plan. You would not get real-time traffic updates over the air but theoretically you would be able to navigate just fine. If you ever needed to take a longer trip you could download the maps to the phone in advance using your home WiFi.

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There are older threads for installing NAV to a Gen 1. It was--at best--clunky because you had to install a GPS antenna. I'm not sure if the Gen 2 would be easier--maybe so because you don't have to worry about getting a new cover piece for the buttons.

Agree with the others that the most seamless way is to get a cheap burner phone and install Google Maps. I think you can also use Waze with Android Auto, which will give you real-time traffic.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I purchased the car specifically without this option. The myLink system and OnStar systems (like the charging timers) on the car are buggy and we're still waiting for patches/upgrades that seem like they will never come. (Especially since they are now killing the car.)

You also have to pay a recurring fee for the GM navigation, upgrade the maps, etc.

You'll find many posts of people who prefer their smartphone navigation (as I do). It's superior on many levels, mostly because you get real-time updates for construction, connection with internet/google tools that route around traffic etc.

If you can't get a smart phone, then I'd suggest getting a small android tablet, plugging that in, and paying GM for the OnStar hotspot feature in your car. That should allow you to use Android Auto instead.

If you still can't do that, you can do a google search for "GM myLink GPS Upgrade". There are companies who sell (for a very high price!) kits that you can graft in the dash, add the GPS antenna, and be free of GM's service fee. (I'm not sure how they do updates - you may still need a tablet for that.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would agree that "factory" navigation is no longer necessary. I always bought factory Nav until I discovered that (with the addition of Android Auto/Apple Carplay) there were few reasons to purchase it. The one exception is if you travel extensively in areas with little or no cellular coverage, you might want to have a cheap windshield mount navigation unit in your glovebox as a backup.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the navigation on my 2018 but I never use it. I guess it goes away at some point? It has android phone so I plug my phone in and use waze.

Does anyone know how to turn waze off after you start a trip and get to the destination besides unplugging the phone?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont know. If I had a phone, ok. But I don't and I dont want a smart phone. And smart phones are about 40 to 50 a month. maybe more. Full feature stand alone Navigation is pretty expensive as well.

For car play, is the car touch screen used for input at all?

If I can install factory navigation for about the same price as the window sticker and the car comes up as having factory nav, I will install a factory navigation. Some places seem to offer new stickers for the car showing it as having factory nav. I assume they have a way into GM and can add that to the accessory listing. I know that can be done to Dodge trucks.

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
I like my 2011 Volt builtin nav to the Bolt's Car Ply/iPhone, but there are pros and cons to each. The built-in nav hassle free and just there. No phone pairing needed, no phone minutes.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I dont know. If I had a phone, ok. But I don't and I dont want a smart phone. And smart phones are about 40 to 50 a month. maybe more. Full feature stand alone Navigation is pretty expensive as well.
Look into a Tracfone. I wanted a second phone to use when my wife has our shared cell phone. I purchased a simple smartphone for a onetime fee of about $40 and since I DO want to use it as a phone I pay roughly $7/month for talk/text/data. But as one poster pointed out you don't really need to pay the monthly fees if you connect the phone to your home wifi and download data through your ISP rather than the cell phone service provider network.

IMHO car companies will be dropping nav in the near future and Garmin will start selling smartphones to provide a platform for their GPS services.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not sure any of the OEMs will drop navigation anytime soon. esp if the car drives itself. aftermarket full up nav is quite expensive not sure the carplay compares.

Well I know I need at least a new display and I dont think I require a new HMI but am not sure on the gps antenna or any other parts. The display is available for less than 300 (sometimes a lot less).

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
GPS's cost about $100 Cdn on sale. I bought Magellan years ago for that. Now they have free map updates. The only problem is where and how to mount them. On the Integra I used to mount it on the windshield but the suction would fall off a few times a year. On the TR7 I mount it on the air vents as the windshield was too far forward. Haven't got around to checking out the Volt yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 2597 in my Volt. Has a nice mount & radio traffic info. I had it in my Altima before I got the Volt. It mounts/sits on the dash above the infocenter. Works great & has voice operation. It was a Costco purchase < $199 and has lifetime updates but I did have to purchase a 32 Gig uSD card to hold the latest NA maps.

·
Registered
333 Posts

For car play, is the car touch screen used for input at all?

If I can install factory navigation for about the same price as the window sticker and the car comes up as having factory nav, I will install a factory navigation. Some places seem to offer new stickers for the car showing it as having factory nav. I assume they have a way into GM and can add that to the accessory listing. I know that can be done to Dodge trucks.
Oh, I assumed everybody has a phone these days. I’d get a standalone GPS before such major surgery to a new car. Or trade it in on an equipped model.
Yes, the car screen and microphone/speaker is used for all CarPlay interactions.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a real simple phone, txt, voice only. all I really need.

I am not sure the extent of the hack to the car. It sounds pretty straight forward and apparently common judging by my searches. I would just like to do it cheaper if I knew what had to be done. The display is cheap and easy to find. gps antenna is cheap as well.

I thought maybe someone might sell a Garmin that could just use the car screen and I could tuck the antenna/unit somewhere and use the car screen but I dont see such a model anywhere.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I am not sure any of the OEMs will drop navigation anytime soon. esp if the car drives itself. aftermarket full up nav is quite expensive not sure the carplay compares.
The cell phone based navigation software is FAR more accurate and up to date than any built in OEM navigation system. Simply because of the fact that data only needs to be updated in one central location rather than every individual vehicles database. The biggest part of the data is changes in "points of interest" like restaurants, stores, etc. compared to actual changes in roadways which don't really change that rapidly.

I'm not holding my breath for the self driving car thing. Yes it can be done, but at what cost and how well can all the sensory systems be integrated into vehicles that customers are willing to accept. Currently they all look like science experiments not pretty to look at. Liability is yet to be determined when things go wrong.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
807 Posts
After using Google Maps with Android Auto, I have pretty much stopped using the built-in nav except for rare backup instances where my phone has no data connection/cell service and I haven't downloaded the map data for the area.

I am not so sure I will spend the extra money in the future for built-in nav unless it's included in whatever trim level I buy as long as AA is an option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My major complaint about the built-in nav system is the cost. I find their cost to update the maps a bit too much for yearly updates. I'm not sure what agreement Volvo has, but they allow you to download the latest maps for no charge. Download them to a USB stick, put that into the USB port and an hour later you have updated maps on your vehicle. That being said, I find the map location not to be where I want it. When traveling I don't want to look at the center console, which is why when we travel, I have a Garmin unit that goes on the far left side of the windshield. This way the maps are there for me to glance at while looking at the road. Garmin also provides free lifetime map updates with a lot of its GPS units.

One advantage of standalone GPS systems over GoogleMaps and AppleMaps is that you don't need cell service. I can tell you first hand that driving in parts of the Western US, you will regardless of carrier find areas that have zero coverage.

To be honest if it was me, I'm not sure I would worry too much about trying to stuff a Nav system into the Volt.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I did find you can put the nav of the Volt up in the info area. However, I've not found a way to zoom out or in, I suspect it's just not supposed to do that... or is there a way to change the map resolution?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts