GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
While having the navigation system built into a car is quite nice, there are some hassles I've noticed:

- Cost: The navigation unit costs quite a bit more than a comparable unit from Garmin/TomTom/etc.
- Updates: To get a navigation update from GM, it costs $200 each time. I was able to get lifetime updates for my Garmin for $80 from Amazon several years ago and those come out every quarter. You're lucky if the GM updates are once a year. Most aftermarket units include lifetime updates and traffic to begin with now.

Just a couple of things to consider.

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you but this is the unit before the mylink and is not the same as what in the car,

While having the navigation system built into a car is quite nice, there are some hassles I've noticed:

- Cost: The navigation unit costs quite a bit more than a comparable unit from Garmin/TomTom/etc.
- Updates: To get a navigation update from GM, it costs $200 each time. I was able to get lifetime updates for my Garmin for $80 from Amazon several years ago and those come out every quarter. You're lucky if the GM updates are once a year. Most aftermarket units include lifetime updates and traffic to begin with now.

Just a couple of things to consider.
I hear you but dont want to add a second unit in the car (less for them to steal)

First of all, most of that thread is about pre-MyLink cars.

Secondly, the only user with the apparent ability to modify/supply already modified MyLink units (GTPprix) has gone all but silent on his willingness to do so - I'm waiting on him to get back to me from an inquiry I made in June.
I know of him from a different forum, get one of his units for 2014 camaro, let me see if i can find him to see if he has a unit for this car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
First of all, most of that thread is about pre-MyLink cars.

Secondly, the only user with the apparent ability to modify/supply already modified MyLink units (GTPprix) has gone all but silent on his willingness to do so - I'm waiting on him to get back to me from an inquiry I made in June.
Huh? We've done tons of volts now, did you email from our website??

·
Registered
383 Posts
Huh? We've done tons of volts now, did you email from our website??
Yes:

Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:04 PM
To: WAMS Sales
Subject: RE: White Auto and Media Services: 2013 MyLink Volt add-on nav and rear view camera

OK, let me know. No massive rush - my wife just had surgery and is not driving for the next 4-6 weeks anyhow, so anywhere within that timeframe would work for me. I figured it would be best to have the radio pulled and the display controls inoperative while the car wasn't being used.

Regards,
MJW

At 12:55 PM 6/26/2014, you wrote:

We have to see availability of the radios on our end, that will take a couple of days but we should be just fine :)

White Automotive & Media Services
[email protected]

I never heard anything else and my wife came out of hospital, recovered, and needed the car again, so I dropped the notion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes:

I never heard anything else and my wife came out of hospital, recovered, and needed the car again, so I dropped the notion.
We replied on the 29 with pricing and options and never heard back thats odd.

Good news for everyone is Gen5DIY (not my company) has a smoking deal on Nav upgrades for the volt! Seriously cheap for brand new equipment and custom programming that allows you to keep your current control panel so you oddest have to buy a new one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts